Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think this will stop what is happening now, it will all be regulated and controlled, and see no problems with all the ways this can be abused? I hope your right. I can just see too many things that can go wrong.
A lot will probably go wrong. But I think it's the best out to preserve CFB as we know it and will actually make the playing field more level.

NCAA, conference, and universities view allowing profit off of likeness as the best out because they arent paying players. This allows them to keep all their revenue and avoid any title 9 lawsuits about equal pay for all student atheles. This new rule will probably only have a major impact on 5% of NCAA athletes.

I think when there is no legal path, there are more incentives to cheat and do the wrong things. Will schools still do the wrong thing, absolutely. Schools who don't cheat or cheat to the level of the worst offenders will actually be on a more level playing field now. When schools get busted for cheating they should be cracked down on without remorse because the channels will be there to do it above board.

I will be shocked if he isn’t drafted in first 3 rounds. Forget the measurables...the size of his heart is immeasurable. Losing isn’t in his vocabulary. His attitude would be infectious for a NFL roster. A GM would be crazy to not draft him in the first half of the draft.

Ehhh Tebow burned that bridge. I don't think he's talented enough to go round 2 or 3.

Playing for pride as opposed to money. Playing for the potential to make money as opposed to making it. When you already have money maybe you're not as motivated as the alternative. All I know is I hardly ever watch pro sports and if college becomes more pro, I don't think it will have the same magic. Jmo
There are fifty billion variables in what makes college and pro different. Why do you think that 1 is the 1 that makes you enjoy college more than pro?

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Ehhh Tebow burned that bridge. I don't think he's talented enough to go round 2 or 3.
4 or 5 is my guess. Definitely will get drafted and I'll be shocked if he doesn't make a roster somewhere for many years. I don't think he's reached his potential yet due to the Butch and Co. effect. With more good coaching, he could turn into a solid pro player.

If Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma, they'll find someone just as good or better. That's just the way that football program is run. They do it right.
eh they got extremely lucky. Lincoln is a Mike leach disciple and a brilliant mind but he had only been an OC for a couple years at ECU. That could just as easily been a Mark Helfrich post chip kelly situation. It was an extremely ballsy move just for stoops to make him OC let alone them name him head coach of a top 5 blue blood program.

SIAP, but if the big time star players are making a hefty amount from endorsements do we think more of them will stay for their 4th year of school? Something tells me no but it's definitely an interesting angle on all of this...

Gotta go with Ed O (CCR), Saban (Eagles), Sankey/Mullen (U2), and Mason (Marvin Gaye) for best choices. Moorehead was a surprise. But I wonder with Pruitt picking Chesney and Muschamp picking Darius Rucker if both didn't just pick famous guys associated with the school they coach. I also wonder if Ed O's pick is for real (great band but hilariously stereotypical for Ed O to pick them).

WR is one of those positions where measurables and testing are extremely over blown. It’s why guys like cooper kupp, Adam theilen, Antonio brown, Tyler lockette, etc come out of no where because they are overlooked.

Luckily some team is going to get an absolute bargain on JJ my guess is in the 6th round.

Gotta go with Ed O (CCR), Saban (Eagles), Sankey/Mullen (U2), and Mason (Marvin Gaye) for best choices. Moorehead was a surprise. But I wonder with Pruitt picking Chesney and Muschamp picking Darius Rucker if both didn't just pick famous guys associated with the school they coach. I also wonder if Ed O's pick is for real (great band but hilariously stereotypical for Ed O to pick them).
When did Pruitt become the head coach for Florida?

WR is one of those positions where measurables and testing are extremely over blown. It’s why guys like cooper kupp, Adam theilen, Antonio brown, Tyler lockette, etc come out of no where because they are overlooked.

Luckily some team is going to get an absolute bargain on JJ my guess is in the 6th round.

To an extent, yes. I think you have to be a good route runner and be able to get open. I remember Marquez North was clearly talented here, but every catch he would make was difficult bc he couldn't get open like JJ.

Their center might move on to the NFL. He’s a critical part of their oline.

Way to many question marks about our team to project next year though.
Yea that kid is awesome. With The amount of production we are losing on offense i don’t see anyway we could win a shoot out with them (not that many teams should/could anyway)

Jennings, Calloway, DWA, Trey, Kennedy
Maybe chandler? That’s tough especially that early on.

College football is evolving into something that I'm not sure will be as good as what we've had in the past. I'm not just talking about paying players. I'm all for free market and people making money anyway they can as long as it's legal but it will change college football negatively. Amateurism is what makes college football different than pro football. You take the amateurism out of college football and you have a semi-pro league. I'm afraid that many of the things we love about college football will be gone forever in the next few years.
Guess I don't get what changes from a pragmatic stance that changes it fundamentally. Kids still choose where to go and are not drafted, and typically stay through their career. This is what separates college and pro, outside of the obvious traditions, pageantry, etc which obviously won't be affected.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
To an extent, yes. I think you have to be a good route runner and be able to get open. I remember Marquez North was clearly talented here, but every catch he would make was difficult bc he couldn't get open like JJ.
I agree but when Jennings runs just under a 4.7 or something and really only has one year of top level production that makes it tough to justify drafting very high. It’s also a really good WR class entering the draft this year.

We'll see how it goes. Consider this though, if UT puts on a camp and active players are there helping the kids they are getting nothing. The parents are spending money to send the kids to the camps, and who is getting paid?

Meanwhile a NFL or former player can host his own camp and pull down 10k+ for a single day.

The coaches who are all making millions get to leverage their fame/likeness to earn even more money. How are they different than the players? Both legal adults, both put in tons of work to get where they are, but because one is on a scholarship he suddenly can't get paid?

That's always been my gripe with the system I guess. Got an entire staff of people getting paid "on the clock" basically for the stuff the players are also obligated to do, essentially for free.

A lot will probably go wrong. But I think it's the best out to preserve CFB as we know it and will actually make the playing field more level.

NCAA, conference, and universities view allowing profit off of likeness as the best out because they arent paying players. This allows them to keep all their revenue and avoid any title 9 lawsuits about equal pay for all student atheles. This new rule will probably only have a major impact on 5% of NCAA athletes.

I think when there is no legal path, there are more incentives to cheat and do the wrong things. Will schools still do the wrong thing, absolutely. Schools who don't cheat or cheat to the level of the worst offenders will actually be on a more level playing field now. When schools get busted for cheating they should be cracked down on without remorse because the channels will be there to do it above board.
I see what you are saying. I just see the other side also. Only affecting 5% may also have major ramifications. And cracking down sounds good unless it is my Vols affected by some crazy booster trying to outdo Auburn.

Yea that kid is awesome. With The amount of production we are losing on offense i don’t see anyway we could win a shoot out with them (not that many teams should/could anyway)

Jennings, Calloway, DWA, Trey, Kennedy
Maybe chandler? That’s tough especially that early on.
Smith for sure moving on?

I agree but when Jennings runs just under a 4.7 or something and really only has one year of top level production that makes it tough to justify drafting very high. It’s also a really good WR class entering the draft this year.

I mean Josh Malone didn't exactly have a stellar career. He did run a 4.4, but I'm not sure where Jennings will run. He could go over 1k yards this year and finish with the record most TD catches in a season at UT.

I think as long as he doesn't have an injury in these last 4 games and his production stays where it's been he'll be drafted. I just hope him & Callaway both get a shot at the combine and ball out while there.

3 years from now.......

"blue chip 5 star prospect Jon Smith picks Ohio State over Alabama and LSU. when asked about his decision he said he really likes the high level of jersey sales as well as the amount of commercials that players get to do to for local car dealerships! When asked about the school's winning tradition he raved and raved about their ability to win advertisements for Nike over his other top schools!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back