article on ESPN right now

Its not equal to the Iron Bowl for "bragging rights" because we don't live in that garbage state and intermingle on a daily basis with those toothless morons and their chromosomally- challenged little brother. Our rivalry was about who's the top dog in the SEC. Like Bear Bryant said "you don't know what kind of team you have until you play Tennessee".
Wish this was still the case but until we can get back their we are a warm up game. Bama will have their second string in at the start of the second quarter

They say your mind naturally "sees backwards" about one and a half times your age minus 4 years.* Think of it as your brain giving the past a mulligan; and the mulligan gets bigger as you get older.

So if you're 20 years old, you think "modern times" are the past (20-4) + (20/2) = 16 + 10 = 26 years. Your backwards time horizon is the early 1990s. Anything that happened before then is meh, ancient history with little applicability today.

But if you're 60 years old, what you remember as the "relevant period" is the past (60-4) + (60/2) = 46 + 30 = 76 years. Your rear horizon reaches to WW2, the mid-1940s. Even if you weren't born until the late 1950s.

This is why your personal definition of "modern times" seems to stretch further back as you get older. It slowly reaches deeper in time as you age. A well-documented psychological effect.

So ... an 80 year old might think of Vandy as our top rival over the long term. Meanwhile, a 50 year old is going to think of Bama first. A 25 year old is going to think of Florida. And a 14 year old...well, he's with the 80-year-old: stuck mostly on Vandy.

Funny how that works.

*This is apparently only true of people of moderate intelligence and above; the rear horizon can be closer for others.

I'm thinking this makes my old head hurt!! I personally feel I have only lived in "modern historical times". "Before my life begun history," that's the way I define the first half of the 20th century. Before that, back to the time before the good old USA, well, I hate to say any history is ancient before guns, cannons, and the such. All this math explanation defining history is to futuristic to even cloud my simple mind!!!:rolleyes:

Not only is this "rivalry" a joke now, but it has always been one of the most overrated rivalries in college football.

Throughout history, look at how many times the game has been played with both teams ranked (Third Saturday in October - Wikipedia). Not many. The game very, very rarely has any sort of national significance. The vast majority of the time Alabama is great and Tennessee stinks, or Tennessee is great and Alabama stinks.

Reactions: onevol74 and Carp
Not much of a rivalry since Saban took over. Only 2 games decided by 10 points or less. Been a guaranteed L almost every single season.

So there's an article talking about the history of the Bama-UT rivalry, and it actually contains this quote: "The rivalry may not have quite the same bragging rights as the Iron Bowl game with Auburn. It's still big, though."

I realize we're down at the moment, and have been on the losing end of said rivalry for twelve straight. That in no way changes the factual reality that this is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in all of college football.

The article was written by an AP writer, which begs the question, where are they finding these guys? Did he just graduate from college? Pretty amazingly shoddy to be that uninformed and working for supposedly a legit news service.
your bias..........they have beat us in the dirt for a decade.....a rivalry should be defined as 2 teams than can beat each other on any given day due to the passion of the rivalry itself. we have not shown that, therefore this game is no longer a rivalry

your bias..........they have beat us in the dirt for a decade.....a rivalry should be defined as 2 teams than can beat each other on any given day due to the passion of the rivalry itself. we have not shown that, therefore this game is no longer a rivalry

Thats not the definition of a rivalry.

Ohio State has beat the hell out of Michigan for over 10 years too. What do you say about that?

I would compare it to how Tennessee fans feel about Florida and Alabama. Us older guys consider Bama our biggest rival and the younger folks would say the Gators. So that said, older Crimson Tide fans would say the Vols are their biggest rival while younger fans would say Auburn.
Great analogy and spot on, IMO.

Reactions: MAD
There are 2 beautiful areas in Alabama. The part which touches the Gulf of Mexico, and the Tennessee border. Everything in between is shiz.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
A quarrel about revenues caused Bama and Auburn nor to play each other for 3 decades. It took an act of the Alabama State Legislature to force them to renew the series. If you count decades of bad blood, you may call it a rivalry. Other than the WWII hiatus, Tennessee has played Bama every year for a century+. That's a rivalry.

It was considered a major rivalry when I started in 1981. We ended an 11 year losing streak in 1982 and started a little run of our own. Just because we have lost for a bit does not rule out rivals. This has been a rivalry of streaks and became one due to the connection between General Neyland and Bear Bryant.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
So there's an article talking about the history of the Bama-UT rivalry, and it actually contains this quote: "The rivalry may not have quite the same bragging rights as the Iron Bowl game with Auburn. It's still big, though."

I realize we're down at the moment, and have been on the losing end of said rivalry for twelve straight. That in no way changes the factual reality that this is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in all of college football.

The article was written by an AP writer, which begs the question, where are they finding these guys? Did he just graduate from college? Pretty amazingly shoddy to be that uninformed and working for supposedly a legit news service.

They nailed it. We are not and have not been competitive with Bama for a long time. A Rivalry is between two "competitive" teams that play for bragging rights. I don't think Bama brags about beating the Vols.... Do you?

Our only Rivals today are Vandy and maybe Kentucky. I almost included the Gators but I have family in FL and they no longer brag when visiting, which tells me that beating the Vols is simply a fore gone conclusion now days.

This is just marketing for their prime time spot. Don't look into it anymore than that.

Are you twelve years old? Your definition has every bit as much validity as defining a Hall-of-Fame athlete only by the game he played this week. By your definition Bama-UT wasn't a rivalry all those years Fulmer was beating them like a drum; the last I checked, people didn't try to claim that Bama wasn't a historic, top-tier football program just because they were down for ten years.

I already disproved your argument: if a rivalry has to be re-made every five years, then Michigan-Ohio State is no longer a rivalry. And you're an absolute twit if you try to claim that series isn't a rivalry. Guess what? Bama-UT has every bit as much history as Michigan-OSU, and is still a rivalry despite nitwitted arguments from neophyte fans such as yourself.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
They nailed it. We are not and have not been competitive with Bama for a long time. A Rivalry is between two "competitive" teams that play for bragging rights. I don't think Bama brags about beating the Vols.... Do you?

Our only Rivals today are Vandy and maybe Kentucky. I almost included the Gators but I have family in FL and they no longer brag when visiting, which tells me that beating the Vols is simply a fore gone conclusion now days.
It amazes me, not in a good way, how many fans we have now that have no knowledge of sports and don't let that stop them from postulating as though they knew more than people who have actually followed sports for many years. It's really not possible to more thoroughly misuse and butcher a word than what you're doing with the word, "rivalry." You do realize that a rivalry is something that by definition forms and exists over an extended period of time? It's not a fluid concept that is redefined on a yearly basis.

I suppose you think that the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys is no longer a rivalry because the D.C. team hasn't been good in decades? I guess you also think USC and UCLA no longer think of each other as rivals because neither has been good at the same time in decades?

We beat UF three years ago - so was it a rivalry again for one year, but that went away as soon as we lost one? Or does it take two losses to meet your criterion to dismiss the rivalry?

Kentucky has beaten us all of three times in the last thirty-five years. So one of your two chosen examples of what constitutes a rivalry doesn't even meet your own criteria, since we have owned them on a far greater scale than Bama ever has us.

By the way, "foregone," is one word, not two. Likewise, "now days," should be, "nowadays."

It's absolutely your prerogative to be an uninformed dolt. When you speak out of your ignorance as though you were an expert, you just make yourself look foolish.

A quarrel about revenues caused Bama and Auburn nor to play each other for 3 decades. It took an act of the Alabama State Legislature to force them to renew the series. If you count decades of bad blood, you may call it a rivalry. Other than the WWII hiatus, Tennessee has played Bama every year for a century+. That's a rivalry.
Pretty basic, and common sense to anyone who has followed football for more than six months.

It actual isn’t that big of a rivalry anymore, and not just because we call y’all Twelvessee. The fact is it was you guys that de-emphasized the rivalry when you started obsessing over Florida. UT-Alabama was a true rivalry, Florida is no such thing, they are just someone you need to beat to win the east. You could call it a mini rivalry I guess, but not a true rivalry. We need to beat LSU, generally, every year to win the west, but we keep it in perspective. They are one of our rivals, just not quite a rivalry.

I mean, when I hear a Vol fan say, now days, that they hate Alabama, I just don’t believe it. I remember when UT fans would say that as the spittle flew from their missing front tooth, with blood shot eyeballs. Then I believed y’all truly hated us. Now it’s as if you say it just because you’ve been taught that you are supposed to say it. It just has no feeling anymore.

VN Store

Back