article on ESPN right now

lifeisdeep

So there's an article talking about the history of the Bama-UT rivalry, and it actually contains this quote: "The rivalry may not have quite the same bragging rights as the Iron Bowl game with Auburn. It's still big, though."

I realize we're down at the moment, and have been on the losing end of said rivalry for twelve straight. That in no way changes the factual reality that this is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in all of college football.

The article was written by an AP writer, which begs the question, where are they finding these guys? Did he just graduate from college? Pretty amazingly shoddy to be that uninformed and working for supposedly a legit news service.

So there's an article talking about the history of the Bama-UT rivalry, and it actually contains this quote: "The rivalry may not have quite the same bragging rights as the Iron Bowl game with Auburn. It's still big, though."

I realize we're down at the moment, and have been on the losing end of said rivalry for twelve straight. That in no way changes the factual reality that this is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in all of college football.

The article was written by an AP writer, which begs the question, where are they finding these guys? Did he just graduate from college? Pretty amazingly shoddy to be that uninformed and working for supposedly a legit news service.

Its not equal to the Iron Bowl for "bragging rights" because we don't live in that garbage state and intermingle on a daily basis with those toothless morons and their chromosomally- challenged little brother. Our rivalry was about who's the top dog in the SEC. Like Bear Bryant said "you don't know what kind of team you have until you play Tennessee".

I would compare it to how Tennessee fans feel about Florida and Alabama. Us older guys consider Bama our biggest rival and the younger folks would say the Gators. So that said, older Crimson Tide fans would say the Vols are their biggest rival while younger fans would say Auburn.

I would compare it to how Tennessee fans feel about Florida and Alabama. Us older guys consider Bama our biggest rival and the younger folks would say the Gators. So that said, older Crimson Tide fans would say the Vols are their biggest rival while younger fans would say Auburn.
Actually the very young ones would probably consider Vandy our main rival...

That's too broad a generalization. I'm an older (Classic Vol) fan who would say FL has supplanted AL as our biggest rival since the good ol' days.

Meant to draw reads.....typically the iron bowl doesnt mean jack out of state, however for the past decade that games has had national implications most years, so its gained more of a national following. TSIO could do the same if UT can make it a competitive game.

Fans look at our teams history in much longer terms than national media trying to gain readers right now.

I'm 49 and I actually think the UK Vandy games are more important to me. I live amongst many UK fans.

Reactions: MAD
They say your mind naturally "sees backwards" about one and a half times your age minus 4 years.* Think of it as your brain giving the past a mulligan; and the mulligan gets bigger as you get older.

So if you're 20 years old, you think "modern times" are the past (20-4) + (20/2) = 16 + 10 = 26 years. Your backwards time horizon is the early 1990s. Anything that happened before then is meh, ancient history with little applicability today.

But if you're 60 years old, what you remember as the "relevant period" is the past (60-4) + (60/2) = 46 + 30 = 76 years. Your rear horizon reaches to WW2, the mid-1940s. Even if you weren't born until the late 1950s.

This is why your personal definition of "modern times" seems to stretch further back as you get older. It slowly reaches deeper in time as you age. A well-documented psychological effect.

So ... an 80 year old might think of Vandy as our top rival over the long term. Meanwhile, a 50 year old is going to think of Bama first. A 25 year old is going to think of Florida. And a 14 year old...well, he's with the 80-year-old: stuck mostly on Vandy.

Funny how that works.

*This is apparently only true of people of moderate intelligence and above; the rear horizon can be closer for others.

Last edited:

Well said my guy. I thought the same exact thing when I read that article earlier today. That iron bowl is not as big but they act like its bigger ... revisionist historians I tell ya

Before 1971 we were tied 23-23
That’s when their 11 game winning started.
Now it’s 56-37 advantage to Crimson Tide
So since 71 Bama has the advantage 33-14

How does that kill a rivalry? We've still beaten them more than any other program in their history. It sure felt like a rivalry in 1990, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2005, 2009 etc. when the Gumps are throwing cups of urine on you and there are fights everywhere all game day long. It would be nice if it weren't so streaky, but there are some incredible games in those streaks.

Didn't qualify for CNN.

VN Store

Back