article on ESPN right now

Its not equal to the Iron Bowl for "bragging rights" because we don't live in that garbage state and intermingle on a daily basis with those toothless morons and their chromosomally- challenged little brother. Our rivalry was about who's the top dog in the SEC. Like Bear Bryant said "you don't know what kind of team you have until you play Tennessee".

What this feller says.

As someone who lives in this "garbage state" bragging rights are definitely bigger for the reasons stated above.

Reactions: OG.V83
So there's an article talking about the history of the Bama-UT rivalry, and it actually contains this quote: "The rivalry may not have quite the same bragging rights as the Iron Bowl game with Auburn. It's still big, though."

I realize we're down at the moment, and have been on the losing end of said rivalry for twelve straight. That in no way changes the factual reality that this is one of the oldest and fiercest rivalries in all of college football.

The article was written by an AP writer, which begs the question, where are they finding these guys? Did he just graduate from college? Pretty amazingly shoddy to be that uninformed and working for supposedly a legit news service.

You're really stretching to find a reason to get outraged over this; what they said is 100% true.

That's too broad a generalization. I'm an older (Classic Vol) fan who would say FL has supplanted AL as our biggest rival since the good ol' days.
I'm 54 years old. I really can't stand Alabama, but there is a certain amount of respect for the rivalry between the teams over the years.
Now regarding that other team you mentioned, I absolutely, totally, completely and unequivocally hate the Florida Gators.
Thank you and GBO.

Reactions: VolinMC
You're really stretching to find a reason to get outraged over this; what they said is 100% true.
By this logic, Michigan-Ohio State is not a rivalry because OSU has owned the blue guys for several years now. A hundred-plus years of history is not wiped away just because people under thirty aren't familiar with it.

I would compare it to how Tennessee fans feel about Florida and Alabama. Us older guys consider Bama our biggest rival and the younger folks would say the Gators. So that said, older Crimson Tide fans would say the Vols are their biggest rival while younger fans would say Auburn.
Change came when the SEC was was divided into East and West divisions.

Reactions: thehill98 and MAD
What also sucks is during this 12 in a row streak Bama is on most of the games have been absolute beatdowns expect for the ones in 2009 and 2015. The talent disparity has never been greater than currently. Saban has a 12-0 record over UT while at Bama and he is 14-1 overall including his LSU tenure. I would love to beat him once while he is at Bama before he retires but I just don’t see it happening.

They say your mind naturally "sees backwards" about one and a half times your age minus 4 years.* Think of it as your brain giving the past a mulligan; and the mulligan gets bigger as you get older.

So if you're 20 years old, you think "modern times" are the past (20-4) + (20/2) = 16 + 10 = 26 years. Your backwards time horizon is the early 1990s. Anything that happened before then is meh, ancient history with little applicability today.

But if you're 60 years old, what you remember as the "relevant period" is the past (60-4) + (60/2) = 46 + 30 = 76 years. Your rear horizon reaches to WW2, the mid-1940s. Even if you weren't born until the late 1950s.

This is why your personal definition of "modern times" seems to stretch further back as you get older. It slowly reaches deeper in time as you age. A well-documented psychological effect.

So ... an 80 year old might think of Vandy as our top rival over the long term. Meanwhile, a 50 year old is going to think of Bama first. A 25 year old is going to think of Florida. And a 14 year old...well, he's with the 80-year-old: stuck mostly on Vandy.

Funny how that works.

*This is apparently only true of people of moderate intelligence and above; the rear horizon can be closer for others.

Fuzzy math

Reactions: Boca Vol
Its not equal to the Iron Bowl for "bragging rights" because we don't live in that garbage state and intermingle on a daily basis with those toothless morons and their chromosomally- challenged little brother. Our rivalry was about who's the top dog in the SEC. Like Bear Bryant said "you don't know what kind of team you have until you play Tennessee".

My good dude mad4vols said I had the post of the day earlier. I have to disagree. This is clearly the best post - of the year maybe.

I am exiled in that State annually for 4-5 months. The idea that TN is equal to or above Auburn I. rivalry is NOT the case. Auburn is the solid #1 and Vols #2. Of course, the youngens probably look at LSU as the important rivalry because that game has mattered for a decade or more now.

But overall and regardless of young old or in between, it's AU, then UT. And it's not really close.

Left it with a quote of the bear proppin up Tennessee and everything.. man THAT is how you do it ... ol bert Rechinchar is what I call TREAL. Too Real. Well done sir

Easy brah I live in AL, minutes away from both GA and TN. Seeing posts like this is like Forrest Gump trashing Joe Dirt.

Reactions: RollerVol
The "rivalry" has been pretty much dead for 30 years.

Since the mid 90s it's true for sure. Rarely have both teams been real contenders. So, the game itself has generally had an expected outcome.

Games since then that have pitted 2 good teams kinda evenly have been maybe 99', 02' and 05. Most of the early ones were TN projections and from 08 on its been nothing less than a spank-fest by AL, minus 09' and 15'.

Honestly, as good as they've been and as bad as we've been in that last decade have made this pretty much a scrub game for AL.

I am exiled in that State annually for 4-5 months. The idea that TN is equal to or above Auburn I. rivalry is NOT the case. Auburn is the solid #1 and Vols #2. Of course, the youngens probably look at LSU as the important rivalry because that game has mattered for a decade or more now.

But overall and regardless of young old or in between, it's AU, then UT. And it's not really close.

20191017_215516.jpg20191017_215443.jpg

Since the mid 90s it's true for sure. Rarely have both teams been real contenders. So, the game itself has generally had an expected outcome.

Games since then that have pitted 2 good teams kinda evenly have been maybe 99', 02' and 05. Most of the early ones were TN projections and from 08 on its been nothing less than a spank-fest by AL, minus 09' and 15'.

Honestly, as good as they've been and as bad as we've been in that last decade have made this pretty much a scrub game for AL.

Being a contender for a title doesn’t make a rivalry. If that’s the measuring stick then there are no real rivalries- UM and OSU are very rarely good at the same time,USC UCLA, UGA Ga Tech, aTm Texas, etc. A rivalry is hatred for reasons other than a championship... that’s really it’s definition.

Unfortunately, once the SEC split into 2 divisions the rivalry started to die. If we would’ve met some in the championship game I think it could have lasted, and it’s possible it could return if that ever happens somewhat consistently, but it is very unlikely with the conferences continued expansion. With Auburn being in their own division and state, puts them a leg up on us. And yes I understand the history behind it, but it’s been like this for almost 30 years and that’s now a lot of history too. When the split happened, most people thought we’d be playing each other in the championship regularly, and we haven’t even met once.

Reactions: onevol74
I am a huge Bama vs TN fan of the series. I do wish the SECW games had no bearing on a so called SEC Champion. I really do not consider the SECE and the SECW to be the same conference. Splitting into E and W created two different conferences that meet in a playoff game after the season to determine who has a chance to makes the BCS and who continues on to the Bowl Games. I think their should be a SECE and a SECW Champion of their conference with the understanding that the Champion from each unique conference plays each other with the chance to advance on to a BCS slot. All we really have in common is a tv and bowl deal for cash. The rest to me is pure BS, the SEC as it once was no longer exists.

That makes FL and GA our real conference rivals. I hate having to do anything with Florida but that is the reality. All the Bama game does is hurt our ability to win the real conference Championship for us, the SECE. Hamilton destroyed UT football because he was incompetent and lacked oversight in the UT Prez Merry go round. That makes all of this irrelevant because we are not yet ready to compete and has no real bearing NOW. That will change when we become relevant in the future. The game should always exist but should have no bearing on the SECE or SECW

VN Store

Back