Something needs to be said about our QB situation

They're competitors but doing it the right way apparently. I don't think JG's motives or desire have ever been the problem. There's just something with his confidence or decision making that doesn't work. He "didn't lose" the game. Pruitt spoke to that during his post game. They didn't ask JG to do much but he performed what they asked. In the same context, he said that playing that conservative helped them to win this game but probably wouldn't work often.

It is disconcerting that Maurer has had two concussions in two weeks. I get that they're completely different causes and may just be anomalies... but I hope it isn't a continuing problem. They need to coach him to get down- live to fight another play.

Maurer got hit in the ribs vs uga. He didn’t get a concussion he got the wind knocked out of him...

I haven't look at his high school team. I just wonder how his numbers could be as good as they were on an awful team. As for falling, when I grew up, you got knocked down playing b-ball in the back yard, fell off a bicycle, out of a tree, we were always falling. You had to learn "how to fall" or you ended up with broken bones, bad sprains, all sorts of things. You had to learn how to fall, sorta like learning how to walk, because you knew you were gonna fall.....

I’m not sure where you grew up, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you didn’t have guys that weighed 240 lbs chasing you that could run faster than you could. Maurer didn’t have that in high school either, but now he does. He will either learn to get down or his time as a qb in the sec will be short lived.

I find it hilarious how people spin things. If we had the exact same results but you switch the name around on the stats from the game the conversation on these boards would be totally different and toxic. If JG had started the game and had the same stats as Maurer, the guy threw 3 incompletions but 2 of them were picks in the endzone he'd be getting crucified. If Maurer had come in and led us to a TD and a bunch of fairly big completions we'd be all over his sack. I think both cases are too much personally. Both of them get treated unfairly just in different directions.

JG has proven he can step up in big games and perform. I have no Idea what Maurer can do. Have a seen some flashes from him sure but I have seen just as many flaws. With JG there is a known quantity. I can say this fairly confidently I don't think anyone no matter how much they hate JG would say they'd expect him to make 3 trips to the Redzone and come away with 2 picks and a rushing TD. I think Maurer can be a good QB but I do not think he is ready NOW and him starting against Bama and South Carolina does not put us in the best situation to get to a bowl game.. Let JG start against Bama and bring in Maurer once it gets out of hand in the second half. But we need JG for SC if he loses that game go all in on Maurer and Shrout the rest of the season because we lose that game seasons pretty much over.

No matter what at this point at least 1 of our QB's is gonna be gone after this season. Probably two. I think it comes down to what is important if we are OK with not making a bowl and we have cashed in on the season to build youth for next year? Start Maurer the rest of the season. If we wanna make a bowl we need to beat USC and we need it badly. Until yesterday I wasn't worried about them but after what happened to UGA we need JG for them. These are my opinions based on nothing but what I think and have observed. I am no coach or analyst just an old UT fan. Feel free to have and express your own views. To be honest Im slightly dyslexic and typing Maurers name hurts me so maybe thats why i don't want him to start yet until we get like a nickname for him. BM just sounds wrong, too much fiber.
Did you watch the game or just read the stat line? Why was Guarantano unable to complete a pass in the red zone against Georgia in 4 tries? Maurer threw a td to Jennings in the red zone vs Georgia. While I’ll admit Guarantano did what he was asked to do against MSU, he just doesn’t posses the ability to read a defense and get rid of the ball fast enough to move the ball down the field. He has proven that, it’s time to roll with the freshman and let him make his mistakes. The ball moves when Maurer is behind center. The offense looks fluid when Maurer is behind center. Maurer looks poised and ready to make something happen when he is behind center. With Guarantano at the helm none of those before mentioned things ring true.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
That is similar to responding to someone posting, he didn't like the piano playing. Your response, " he can probably (prolly) play the piano better than you can", it really makes no sense.

Making sense was not its purpose. "Lighten up, Francis."

I find it hilarious how people spin things. If we had the exact same results but you switch the name around on the stats from the game the conversation on these boards would be totally different and toxic. If JG had started the game and had the same stats as Maurer, the guy threw 3 incompletions but 2 of them were picks in the endzone he'd be getting crucified. If Maurer had come in and led us to a TD and a bunch of fairly big completions we'd be all over his sack. I think both cases are too much personally. Both of them get treated unfairly just in different directions.
Maurer is a true Fr who has come in, generated energy, made throws that JG won't even attempt, and moved the O.

JG is a RS Jr who is so risk averse that the O stalls when he plays.

Maurer may not be the answer but he hasn't really gotten his chance yet. JG has fully proven that UT cannot score points, sustain drives, or win games behind him.

There's also an apparent leadership boost with Maurer in the game.

JG has proven he can step up in big games and perform.
You can't be serious. With two anomalies where he got away with several 50/50 throws... he hasn't come up big in ANY game. He's 5-16 against FBS opponents and was incapable of leading the team back against GSU.... let that one sink in. He hasn't proven he can step up in little games and perform.

I have no Idea what Maurer can do. Have a seen some flashes from him sure but I have seen just as many flaws.
The difference is that his flaws are aggressive flaws. They are coachable flaws.

With JG there is a known quantity.
Yes there is. He's not going to take even medium risk throws. Unless a guy is wide open he's going to check down. He's such a "known quantity" that GSU and BYU had no trouble stopping UT's O with him at QB though UT completely outmanned them.

I can say this fairly confidently I don't think anyone no matter how much they hate JG would say they'd expect him to make 3 trips to the Redzone and come away with 2 picks and a rushing TD.
The bigger surprise would be if he made enough plays to get into the redzone 3 times vs MSU. If he did... you can be pretty sure that all would have ended with FG's.

I think Maurer can be a good QB but I do not think he is ready NOW and him starting against Bama and South Carolina does not put us in the best situation to get to a bowl game..
Starting JG against USCe pretty much assures UT loses and loses any chance of a bowl game. Maurer is the greater risk. He's going to make Fr mistakes. But he's also shown he can make plays that pressure opposing D's.

But we need JG for SC if he loses that game go all in on Maurer and Shrout the rest of the season because we lose that game seasons pretty much over.
PRECISELY the reason not to start JG. You want the season to hinge on a guy that couldn't lead the O vs GSU or sustain a drive to end the BYU game.

No matter what at this point at least 1 of our QB's is gonna be gone after this season. Probably two. I think it comes down to what is important if we are OK with not making a bowl and we have cashed in on the season to build youth for next year? Start Maurer the rest of the season. If we wanna make a bowl we need to beat USC and we need it badly. Until yesterday I wasn't worried about them but after what happened to UGA we need JG for them. These are my opinions based on nothing but what I think and have observed. I am no coach or analyst just an old UT fan. Feel free to have and express your own views. To be honest Im slightly dyslexic and typing Maurers name hurts me so maybe thats why i don't want him to start yet until we get like a nickname for him. BM just sounds wrong, too much fiber.
What on EARTH tells you that a guy who couldn't beat GSU or BYU because HE... HE... could not make the downfield throws to open the O up is going to do anything against USCe's D? There is no rational reason to believe he can score against them.

There are TONS of throws already that demonstrate why UT's chances are better with Maurer than JG... but you only have to watch the first completion vs MSU. BM decisively read pressure and dropped a perfect pass into DWA. Physically, JG can make that throw.... mentally... he won't make that read and if he does he will see too much risk. He'd check down to a "safe" play or take a sack.

JG needs to build that transfer stock, glad yes a Vol but sorry I don’t think he plays for UT next season. He’s grown into a leader in a very difficult situation, they both want Ws, JG knows what it’s like to play behind a sewn up OLine, JG is probably extremely happy BM18 is competitive and gives this team a bigger chance to win. Sportsmanship requires no skill or practice, just humbleness and a heart.
Let’s give Bama hell!

one td in a little over a half of football against Miss. St. yes that stinks. 0 points agains fla, yes that stinks. Points scored is what its all about. jg just cannot lead the team to enough points. He does not have a good record in leading the team to points. And the 2 red zone int. jg would have never gotten us that close if he had been in there, and these types of int.. can be corrected with expierence. jg has already hit his ceiling. I don't think we would have beat Miss. st. if jg had started the game. We did lose to two teams less talented than miss st. with jg at qb.
those two teams also scored quite a few points on our defense....I think it's hilarious how JG gets full blame for the outcome of games when he does not play defense and the offense scored points. You say JGs half was unimpressive yet he scored and didn't throw any picks when Maurer against the same team threw 2 picks in the redzone and threw zero. If by your standard JGs game was terrible what was Maurers? You say we would have never gotten in the redzone with JG but I'm fairly sure he threw for a TD and lead us to a FG.

I have zero problem with people preferring one QB over the other for valid reasons. And there are valid arguments for Maurer over JG. What bothers me is when people just parrot what others say. Ignoring reality and make an arguments despite facts clearly to the contrary.

Has JG had a few bad games this year? Yes but it was not just him. It's not like we were losing to teams 10-0. The defense was stinking it up equally well. Around game 3 our defensive and offensive lines started gelling and we are seeing the results. It what happens when u are playing as many 1st and second year guys as we are. JG has proven he can play that's a fact. He is no All SEC QB but he is a good QB. Maurer has proven nothing. Not saying he can't or lacks ability but we know nothing about him except he has some potential. He is not so head and shoulders above JG that it's obvious to anyone without and agenda. JG is just the easy scapegoat. The best Maurer has shown is not near the best we have seen from JG. The dude has barely played over a full game of snaps yet. In fact in less than half as many pass attempts he's thrown the same number of picks and 1/4 as many TDS. JG is 2/1 td/int Maurer is 1/2. He also throws for a way lower completion percentage. Lower average yards per completion gets sacked at a higher rate. Basically statistically is worse in every possible way except oh yeah he's rushed for 29 more yards all of those came on 2 carries btw.

It's hilarious how everyone's eyes are lying to them. Statistically it's not like they are close JG murders him in every state that matters. Is he a better runner? Who knows, the numbers say not really. But all these people saying he has a better arm makes better reads and throws deeper are seeing smoke because the numbers don't add up.

Maurer is a true Fr who has come in, generated energy, made throws that JG won't even attempt, and moved the O.

JG is a RS Jr who is so risk averse that the O stalls when he plays.

Maurer may not be the answer but he hasn't really gotten his chance yet. JG has fully proven that UT cannot score points, sustain drives, or win games behind him.

There's also an apparent leadership boost with Maurer in the game.

You can't be serious. With two anomalies where he got away with several 50/50 throws... he hasn't come up big in ANY game. He's 5-16 against FBS opponents and was incapable of leading the team back against GSU.... let that one sink in. He hasn't proven he can step up in little games and perform.

The difference is that his flaws are aggressive flaws. They are coachable flaws.

Yes there is. He's not going to take even medium risk throws. Unless a guy is wide open he's going to check down. He's such a "known quantity" that GSU and BYU had no trouble stopping UT's O with him at QB though UT completely outmanned them.

The bigger surprise would be if he made enough plays to get into the redzone 3 times vs MSU. If he did... you can be pretty sure that all would have ended with FG's.

Starting JG against USCe pretty much assures UT loses and loses any chance of a bowl game. Maurer is the greater risk. He's going to make Fr mistakes. But he's also shown he can make plays that pressure opposing D's.

PRECISELY the reason not to start JG. You want the season to hinge on a guy that couldn't lead the O vs GSU or sustain a drive to end the BYU game.

What on EARTH tells you that a guy who couldn't beat GSU or BYU because HE... HE... could not make the downfield throws to open the O up is going to do anything against USCe's D? There is no rational reason to believe he can score against them.

There are TONS of throws already that demonstrate why UT's chances are better with Maurer than JG... but you only have to watch the first completion vs MSU. BM decisively read pressure and dropped a perfect pass into DWA. Physically, JG can make that throw.... mentally... he won't make that read and if he does he will see too much risk. He'd check down to a "safe" play or take a sack.
we didn't lose any games strictly or even mostly due to bad play at QB. We had big defensive breakdowns against them. They scored a lot of points against us and I didn't see JG in the secondary. If the defense we saw Saturday had been there game one we are a two loss team now with our offense being the same. If we'd held Ga State or BYU to 10 or even 20 points we win both those games. People act like we got shut out. We scored more than enough in regulation to win both those games. Our defense just hadn't jelled yet.

Sadly next week everyone is gonna forget who we are playing and when Bama puts that 50 burger they have dropped on everyone this year on us JG will get blamed for that too whether he plays or not. Bama has won games 51-17 average all year fyi. Next week is probably gonna be ugly. A part of me wants Maurer to start so we can see once and for all get the question answered. But that's my sadistic half. The part that wants him to be a QB at UT without PTSD wants JG to start. IMHO the only way JG is not a grad transfer is if he has some miracle turnaround. I also believe the oy way we get to a bowl is we settle on a QB now. We play Maurer the rest of the season we lose both of them next year. JG to grad transfer and Maurer to a psych ward. Play JG we still lose him barring a miracle and probably Maurer or Shrout to transfer. But at least his mind will be intact. This Bama team is not the best we've seen the last decade but it's on pace to be one of them. It's gonna be nasty.

we didn't lose any games strictly or even mostly due to bad play at QB.
Sorry but you are 100% WRONG. JG wasn't replaced because of UF alone or for no good reason. He didn't make the reads and downfield throws they expect him to make. If he makes those throws... the GSU game is over by half. BYU is no closer than 2 TD's. He is THE biggest factor in those losses. Because they KNEW he wouldn't risk those throws they were able to limit what the O could do. Even pathetic GSU was able to do it.

We had big defensive breakdowns against them. They scored a lot of points against us and I didn't see JG in the secondary.
No. And you didn't see him sustaining drives or keeping their D on its heels either. UT had 7 second half possessions against GSU if you include that trash drive at the end. Five of those drives went for less than 20 yards. The coaches demonstrated zero trust in JG making plays.

If the defense we saw Saturday had been there game one we are a two loss team now with our offense being the same. If we'd held Ga State or BYU to 10 or even 20 points we win both those games. People act like we got shut out. We scored more than enough in regulation to win both those games. Our defense just hadn't jelled yet.
No. UT didn't score "more than enough"... against GSU and BYU. GSU has only held Coastal Carolina to less points. BYU is now 2-4 with two recent losses to Toledo and USF. The 26 points UT scored against them... is their season low.

Yeah. The D has improved and could have covered the issues at QB had they played better then.... but JG did not improve in any significant way. He was still as risk averse as he was last year.

Sadly next week everyone is gonna forget who we are playing and when Bama puts that 50 burger they have dropped on everyone this year on us JG will get blamed for that too whether he plays or not. Bama has won games 51-17 average all year fyi. Next week is probably gonna be ugly.
I don't think it matters who starts. Bama is just too good on O for this team.

A part of me wants Maurer to start so we can see once and for all get the question answered. But that's my sadistic half.
So basically half of you wants Maurer to fail?

IMHO the only way JG is not a grad transfer is if he has some miracle turnaround. I also believe the oy way we get to a bowl is we settle on a QB now.
Yeah. I think JG will move on. And he should. I think his only shot at leaving all his baggage behind is to get away from UT.

We play Maurer the rest of the season we lose both of them next year. JG to grad transfer and Maurer to a psych ward.
Yes... and just plain silly. Maurer needs to improve and stop making mistakes. At the same time, the staff can protect him in a lot of ways. I suspect Maurer understands where he and the team are right now. Not worried about a "psych" ward. I am worried about him learning to protect himself.

Play JG we still lose him barring a miracle and probably Maurer or Shrout to transfer. But at least his mind will be intact. This Bama team is not the best we've seen the last decade but it's on pace to be one of them. It's gonna be nasty.
I just don't buy that line of reasoning... and I'm not sure why you're trying it. You've made much better arguments than that.

Bama's D isn't as good as it was when JG made his second start against them two years ago or when Dobbs took over in '14. Maurer if healthy needs the challenge and the reps. IMO, UT's ONLY shot at making a bowl is with a QB that makes plays. Unfortunately, that's not JG.

Maurer took JG’s spot as the starter, which I’m sure gutted JG. However, last week when Maurer got killed on the corner blitz, JG was the first one to rush out to the field to help him.

Against MSU, JG came into the game and ended up throwing the game-winning TD. The first one to greet him on the field and celebrate? Maurer. Maurer also was one of the first to greet JG and high five with him after the victory formation.

These two aren’t acting like competitors for a position, they are acting like a duo that’s here to support each other and get some W’s for Tennessee.

Another point to this as well, JG is a warrior and we are EXTREMELY lucky to have him. He’s given me ulcers several times this year, but you can’t deny the dude just wants to see Tennessee win.

Guarantano has been having issues. He has been beaten around so much, and from what Trey Smith said as a room mate, had a hard time obsessing with failed plays. He couldn't clear his mind to get the next play right. Hopefully, he is getting past that. The fact that the two of them are supporting each other shows a rare maturity. And it is leading to more success for both of them. Lets hope it works.

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person question JGs character. Kid truly has all of the tools to be anreally good WB, physically he’s there, mentally from a leadership standpoint, he’s there, he just doesn’t have it on the field on Saturdays from a make plays standpoint.

I’d love for him to stick around and help our young QBs next season, but I’d also like to see him transfer to FAU and see if Lane can have a Cromptonesque effect on his ability. He needs a QB savant in a bad way.

I have and they were justified after the tech game. His actions were adolescent at best. However, he has demonstrated maturity now. Good growth so far. Not to beat up on a young man, he has not shown much that he is a good qb.

JG didn't throw the game winning TD because we already had the lead and won by 10, but I digress.

I’m not sure where you grew up, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you didn’t have guys that weighed 240 lbs chasing you that could run faster than you could. Maurer didn’t have that in high school either, but now he does. He will either learn to get down or his time as a qb in the sec will be short lived.

Funny you should say this. In my high school days, our line (mostly went both ways) went avg. 265 per man. Kinda slow:rolleyes: I on the other hand was a robust 118 lbs. Really fast:) Could out run any one in school. Was timed once at 10 flat (hand stop watch) no pads etc. (think coach was excited) Was fielding a punt in practice one day and headed toward an end zone corner across field. Had 250 lineman on the right angle to intercept me, knew I could outrun him. However I let him get a little too close, he reached out and caught me on the side of the helmet. My feet outran the rest of me! As I was trying to get up Bob reached down and set me on my feet, smiling he said "next time run faster".. Believe me I LEARNED!!!

Did you watch the game or just read the stat line? Why was Guarantano unable to complete a pass in the red zone against Georgia in 4 tries? Maurer threw a td to Jennings in the red zone vs Georgia. While I’ll admit Guarantano did what he was asked to do against MSU, he just doesn’t posses the ability to read a defense and get rid of the ball fast enough to move the ball down the field. He has proven that, it’s time to roll with the freshman and let him make his mistakes. The ball moves when Maurer is behind center. The offense looks fluid when Maurer is behind center. Maurer looks poised and ready to make something happen when he is behind center. With Guarantano at the helm none of those before mentioned things ring true.
Everything you just said about BM is exactly what JG did on the final drive vs Miss St with the only differences being that JG didn't throw a pick when the field shrunk and JG didn't break in half when he got hit.

It’s obvious we don’t have a red zone QB, let the Oline get better and RB in pass blocking and qb play inside red zone improves. Receivers get time to get open, RB picking up blocks, Let’s RPO be exactly that. Qb could have a better chance at rushing for big gains or even a TD. BM18 has the wheels...

Everything you just said about BM is exactly what JG did on the final drive vs Miss St with the only differences being that JG didn't throw a pick when the field shrunk and JG didn't break in half when he got hit.
No he didn't. UT ran the ball with one short pass to Jordan and then the WR screen to Byrd. Pruitt pretty much spelled it out in the post game. They didn't ask JG to do much but he did what he was asked to do. I'll give him credit for making the right read and not botching the throw on the TD. But it wasn't a "great play" by him. UT was running effectively. MSU needs a stop. They started walking up their S's and LB's. He saw it on an RPO and made the throw. MSU was well set up by play calling. It was well blocked and Byrd executed the run.

Pruitt pretty much spelled it out. That kind of conservative play helped them win this game... but it probably won't help them win many.

So you're saying that BM won the game for us?

If you want to categorize it that way then sure. He was on the field and guided the team to 10 points and a 7 point lead before half time. But our defense is who really won the game.

Witch Doctor say lets all remember JG CHOSE to come here, wanted to be here, dreamed of being here. Witch Doctor say with all the coaching changes and adversity hes went thru is enough to admire him FOR NOT leaving before the season started. Witch Doctor say lets quickly shut down any negative talk and wish him success if he stays or leaves. Anyone who is hating on him ISNT a fan or DOES NOT understand recruiting( so when the idiots start, everyone please jump them! . Witch Doctor say we cant eat our own. Witch Doctor hope he finds success here or wherever he may land IF he leaves.

Go Vols!

Bones never lie.

Dig the message and that hardcore, 3rd person vibe.

Reactions: Witch_Doctor
Believing JG isn't a good QB isn't hate. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Then you're not one of those he's talking to, the boo-birds, those who make it personal ....geez.

No he didn't. UT ran the ball with one short pass to Jordan and then the WR screen to Byrd. Pruitt pretty much spelled it out in the post game. They didn't ask JG to do much but he did what he was asked to do. I'll give him credit for making the right read and not botching the throw on the TD. But it wasn't a "great play" by him. UT was running effectively. MSU needs a stop. They started walking up their S's and LB's. He saw it on an RPO and made the throw. MSU was well set up by play calling. It was well blocked and Byrd executed the run.

Pruitt pretty much spelled it out. That kind of conservative play helped them win this game... but it probably won't help them win many.
That type of game is exactly how Pruitt would like to win every time we play and it's how he is building this program. Strong defensive play alongside a conservative run 1st mistake free offense. Every chance he gets to win that way he will. It's the reason why JG was playing over BM because he had protected the football in the past, not so much this year. If Maurer continues to throw it to the other team he will find himself on the bench regardless of what potential our couch coaches believe he possesses. They will both play Saturday, Alabama's D feast on turnovers and I suspect that both of our QBs are likely to turn it over a couple of times Sat.

VN Store

Back