Does Pruitt’s grammar matter at all to you?

If you want to save the world why not begin with this generation who would rather communicate through emojis and icons in text script. Right away you realize that being clear, understood, and profound, doesn't seem that high on the agenda when folks are using word pictures that look like they were extracted out of a first-grade reader.

This smartphone generation is starting to make Festus Hagan sound like Shakespeare.

Did you read Antonio Brown's tweet to the woman he is accused of sexually assaulting? That was some stupidity right there.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
There are other factors in place as well. What is the #1 fear people have? Answer: Public speaking.

Few have ever enjoyed it. Most on this forum would swallow their tongue if put in a public setting and told to stand in front of a camera, podium, and people, as Pruitt is, constantly. It's obviously the most unpleasant thing on his agenda as a HC, just looking at his body language. I doubt his style and choice of words at a presser resembles his speech to his players and coaches.

A few years back I actually heard Les Miles speak to a couple of people unaware anything was being recorded. He was as coherent and social and at ease as any of us speaking to our friends and family. On the other hand, his brain was doing gymnastics when he got in front of those pressers.

The fact that some people are actually choosing sounding stupid versus sounding intelligent is mind boggling. I mean that is the simple choice here. Would you like the face of your program to not sound stupid. Yes or no? And some are choosing the wrong answer.
Id like the face of my program to win games.

If you wanna sounds like a nerd root for vandy or Stanford or something. Fact is most people around here sound pretty country and dont always use proper grammer. Seeing people in high places and sound like them dont hurt anything..

There are other factors in place as well. What is the #1 fear people have? Answer: Public speaking.

Few have ever enjoyed it. Most on this forum would swallow their tongue if put in a public setting and told to stand in front of a camera, podium, and people, as Pruitt is, constantly. It's obviously the most unpleasant thing on his agenda as a HC, just looking at his body language. I doubt his style and choice of words at a presser resembles his speech to his players and coaches.

A few years back I actually heard Les Miles speak to a couple of people unaware anything was being recorded. He was as coherent and social and at ease as any of us speaking to our friends and family. On the other hand, his brain was doing gymnastics when he got in front of those pressers.

Yes, public speaking does suck and it's even worse in today's PC environment where people are waiting for you to make a mistake that they can immediately lambast on Twitter.

Did you read Antonio Brown's tweet to the woman he is accused of sexually assaulting? That was some stupidity right there.

No, I haven't. But writing that kind of stuff down and sending it to folks through text and e-mails have hung a lot of folks. Young and old alike.

Reactions: GlockVol
No, I haven't. But writing that kind of stuff down and sending it to folks through text and e-mails have hung a lot of folks. Young and old alike.

It was so bad that someone in the comment section had to translate. Always thought it was stupid of people committing crimes to record the event or then comment publicly on it. I'm sure it gives their lawyers fits.

Reactions: TUSKtimes
My feeling is that it matters more at 0-2 than 2-0.
I will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.
As the famous ball player and announcer, Dizzy Dean, observed after getting complaints about his mangling of the English Language, "A lot of people who ain't saying 'ain't' ain't eating."

We need to remember that we're talking about two different subjects here, education and entertainment. To a helluva lot of fans the existence of the university (education) is nothing more than a pretext for fielding a football team. Any connection between the two is an utter coincidence.

Reactions: Vfl2407

Amen. I do it for a living and am at ease behind a podium, but I still get cottonmouth something FIERCE.

Probably explains how much Dasani Pruitt drinks.

I'm reminded of Tyson's quote that "everybody got a plan till they get hit."

One of my favorites.

Why write when you can call?

Why call when you can visit?

Everyone is so tied to their devices these days they don't stop to think they're creating evidence.

🤣

Reactions: GlockVol

Everyone is so tied to their devices these days they don't stop to think they're creating evidence.

🤣

Wonder if the NSA collects the posts from message boards like VN. Hope it's metadata only and no one actually has to read it all. LOL

Reactions: kcvols1
Id like the face of my program to win games.

If you wanna sounds like a nerd root for vandy or Stanford or something. Fact is most people around here sound pretty country and dont always use proper grammer. Seeing people in high places and sound like them dont hurt anything..

For the second time, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Fact is, most people that actually got a degree from this educational institution would prefer the leader of the football team which represents said institution, not talk like a 5 year old.

🤣

Football players have lost their scholarships because of coaches following them on facebook. Houston Nutt, Rosanne Barr, CEOs, and so many more have lost jobs and reputations they will never get back because they put it down in writing. Education doesn't seem to have a lot to do with it.

Reactions: kcvols1
Wonder if the NSA collects the posts from message boards like VN. Hope it's metadata only and no one actually has to read it all. LOL

Probably stored at least pre-Snowden!

As for review, this ain't Daily Stormer, so I think we're good!

Pruitt's Southern accent is fine. BUT, my opinion, he should work to improve his grammar if/when he becomes a successful P5 head coach and gives higher profile interviews. He represents the state university and really shouldn't sound like a hick.

Beyond the image thing, as long as he doesn't lose any recruits/players due to his grammar, I don't think it's a big deal.

Fact is, most people that actually got a degree from this educational institution would prefer the leader of the football team which represents said institution, not talk like a 5 year old.
K, I try not to judge people based off how they talk, but you do you.
I aint ever been real concerned about proper grammer. Grew up poor as dirt, first college grad in my family, retired as top enlisted rank in the USMC, clise to a 6 figure job now. I do pretty well, but maybe im stupid I dont know.
Ive learned in life through my experience that the worst people to be around are those that constantly demand you use proper grammer in their presence, but thats just me.

I aint ever been real concerned about proper grammer. Grew up poor as dirt, first college grad in my family, retired as top enlisted rank in the USMC, clise to a 6 figure job now. I do pretty well, but maybe im stupid I dont know.
Ive learned in life through my experience that the worst people to be around are those that constantly demand you use proper grammer in their presence, but thats just me.

I do judge people that know better but are too lazy choose correctly.

We are talking grammar, not accent.

Southern versus Northern grammar:

We say, "ya'll". They say, "all of you". We say, "We're fixin' to go". They say, "We are getting prepared to go". We say, "I'm plumb tuckered out". They say, "I am thoroughly tired". We say, "I'll be there directly". They say, "I will arrive in a little while". We say, "Lookie there"! They say, "Would you please look in that direction". We say, "The whole kit and kaboodle". They say, "The entire thing". We say, "Taters". They say, "Potatoes". We say, "Bless his heart". They say, "That individual just doesn't understand". We say, "We've gone in whole hog". They say, "We are attempting to attain it with everything we have". We say, "I'm gonna buy a coke". They say, "I'm going inside this establishment to buy a soda".

What do, "ya'll think" about this? Did I get it right? For you northern grammar police I just said, "Give this sincere thought and communicate with us your opinion of the matter".

While this is true, we aren't talking about one if not for the other. When a relationship starts to go south, every flaw becomes amplified. It seems like Fulmer hired someone who he saw a kinship with. It's easy to see why such a thing would not have bothered Fulmer during the interview.

Pruitt's Southern accent is fine. BUT, my opinion, he should work to improve his grammar if/when he becomes a successful P5 head coach and gives higher profile interviews. He represents the state university and really shouldn't sound like a hick.

Beyond the image thing, as long as he doesn't lose any recruits/players due to his grammar, I don't think it's a big deal.

It’s actually an easy fix.
He just needs a refresher course on subject/verb agreement.
“Do, did, done” is his biggest problem.
I do want this team to practice better.
I did think we practiced better.
We have done a lot better practicing this week.
* I’ve told people like my Dad who went from a blue collar job to a white collar one and struggled with a few grammar issues to just remember a trick.
Never use the word “done” unless you “have” to.
E.g. always put have in front of done or just say did instead.
That will be $100.

Reactions: VolsSince78
While this is true, we aren't talking about one if not for the other. When a relationship starts to go south, every flaw becomes amplified. It seems like Fulmer hired someone who he saw a kinship with. It's easy to see why such a thing would not have bothered Fulmer during the interview.

Oh I agree. It is a pimple that gets ignored if you are winning. That is why it is best to give your best effort in all facets of life. Gives people one less thing to pick at when things aren't going well.

I have never corrected anyone’s grammar and embarrassed them.
I have helped people who wanted to improve their grammar.
Especially people who are in the public realm.

VN Store

Back