Does Pruitt’s grammar matter at all to you?

I got to ask and with no malice or concern actually...why would a Bama fan (or any other team fan) go to the trouble of setting up an account on a Vol website, let alone post here? Seriously just curious because for me to do that on another teams website is as foreign as the Russian outback.
Theres lots of other teams fans here, most seem like pretty good folks. Several byu fans hopped on.

You guys are the ones taking the time to speak poorly of your HC's choice of grammar. Pretty sure that's not really the solution to your football problems either way.
I dont give a crap about his grammer, I care that he sucks as a head coach.

You guys are the ones taking the time to speak poorly of your HC's choice of grammar. Pretty sure that's not really the solution to your football problems either way.
You are right. This thread is a classic case of venting frustration, completely unrelated to the topic itself. Both Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer butchered the English language regularly and spoke in euphemisms such as "daggum". Nobody really cares about this crap. We care that we have already lost to 2 of the worst 3 teams on our schedule and we are staring 2-10 straight in the face.

Reactions: TUSKtimes
Of all the things wrong with the program right now, the coach's grammatical efficiency is not one of them.

NO, not at all, just WIN
My feeling is that it matters more at 0-2 than 2-0.
I NO, not at all, just WIN will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.

I dont give a crap about his grammer, I care that he sucks as a head coach.
You are right. This thread is a classic case of venting frustration, completely unrelated to the topic itself. Both Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer butchered the English language regularly and spoke in euphemisms such as "daggum". Nobody really cares about this crap. We care that we have already lost to 2 of the worst 3 teams on our schedule and we are staring 2-10 straight in the face.

And that my friend, is the honest truth of the matter.

Poor grammar usually annoys me, but it doesn't matter much in his profession, or really sports in general. Just listen to some of the basketball coaches around college and the pros. You'll hear everything from hood speak to Italian Mafioso.

Reactions: VolinMC
The classic example of this is Ed Orgeron. At Ole Miss he was an unintelligible baffoon. At LSU he's a folksy player's coach and great motivator.

Reactions: Voltopia
My feeling is that it matters more at 0-2 than 2-0.
I will say, as someone with family members who were teachers, that it does bother me.
To claim to be an institution of higher learning, you’d think we could get him an English tutor.
But being honest, if he upsets Florida and gets us to a bowl game, I won’t care how he “done” it.

Agree with you mostly, especially how fans will overlook his speech if he puts a winner on the field. If he fails, fans can get very personal with their barbs and would probably criticize everything from hair loss to his aftershave. On top of being ridiculed for its record, Titanic references and being soft, now the critics can beat on UT for having a hillbilly coach who lacks basic English skills. Is this surprising since Pruitt started out as an educator? Probably not many will say as they cue the “Bammer” references. If he demands excellence from the hundred or so young men under his supervision, can’t he step up his personal game as well? Remember, Pruitt is our head coach who goes into recruits’ living rooms to promote UT not only as a place to play football, but also to get a quality education and grow as people. I know he is not a teacher (certainly isn’t compensated like one), but does work closely with the athletes and like it or not, is the current face of UT football. Go Vols and work like heck.

That's a tough question for me. I grew up deep in the Smokies. My mother always emphasized that we use correct English. She had been embarrassed while following my dad in the army I think. She took clerical jobs and learned through hurt that people often define you by how you speak.

That said, I'll take Pruitt's very fallible grammar over Jones' fake "down wit'cha" crap every day of the week.

Short answer is, yeah, it kind of bothers me that he hasn't made the effort to speak better and represent himself and UT better... but not as much as someone who is fake bothers me.

How can you relate to recruits if you use proper grammar? You can’t! I say the less intelligible you are the better!

I’m so glad this thread was created. I know it’s just football, but the fact that he can’t talk correctly is just bothersome to me. The guy is the face of our program, and every time he talks like a 5th grader, I cringe.

Reactions: BigOrangeGirl
I get aggravated when people bring this up ( His accent is more normal to my ears ).. A lot of us are Southern and sound a certain way, just like any where in the country.

Reactions: LampVol
I could care less the way he sounds. Matter of fact he could be a mime and no one would say anything about it if we was winning games.

I like that he sounds country, thats what we are and it fits imo..could do without the aight tho, gets on my nerves after a while, think he goes into that when he's nervous tho, dont notice it as much when he is not being battered in press conferences...

I’m so glad this thread was created. I know it’s just football, but the fact that he can’t talk correctly is just bothersome to me. The guy is the face of our program, and every time he talks like a 5th grader, I cringe.

The fact that some people are actually choosing sounding stupid versus sounding intelligent is mind boggling. I mean that is the simple choice here. Would you like the face of your program to not sound stupid. Yes or no? And some are choosing the wrong answer.

Reactions: Mountain Dave
He speaks the way he was taught and either doesn't know better or doesn't care what others think. In short, an authentic 'bammer.

The classic example of this is Ed Orgeron. At Ole Miss he was an unintelligible baffoon. At LSU he's a folksy player's coach and great motivator.

Truth. I may have enjoyed laughing at Orgeron's mumblin' but I never doubted he had coaching acumen. But many did. Every media spot was like another nail in his coffin. Tell 'em about it, Jojo!

Speaking of which, let's just enjoy a blast from the past.

When he sings "Brent Shafah" I always grin. Just the best.

Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back