Basilio saying Fulmer/Chaney want a new QB

Then maybe JG should simply fall on a helmet during practice or have suffered an unidentified injury during the last game and being held out for his safety ... solves the credibility/deniability issue. The temptation to play musical chairs is a reality ... see the offensive line.
Never works...see the record books. Can understand last resort scenarios. You don’t fire those off before conference play. Not stating JG is untouchable, but I can understand why the person making the ultimate decision (who also has the most to lose) treads lightly before nuking it.

I hope he just sticking to his late night film room obsession and leaving it at that. He shouldve got the picture after that slap on the wrist last yr.

I'd hope Fulmer and Pruitt have a mentor/student relationship right now - with Pruitt having complete freedom to do as he wants, but with Fulmer's experience to fall back on. It's one the biggest reasons I think an AD should be a retired football coach.

could it really hurt to try a back up?? :oops:

I would not try a backup vs. Florida, look what happened to Petersen, who, BTW is still in the NFL.

Wait till at least MSU to give them a real shot. Bring them in against Fl and Georgia only when the game is out of reach. Bring them in against Chattanooga only when we the game is on ice.

But if JG is really struggling against MSU, and it's a close game, and one of them played reasonably well in earlier efforts, that's when you give him a shot.

Just listened to his show.
He said that his anonymous source X in the UTAD is saying:
Fulmer is extremely upset that Pruitt didn’t get us a good transfer QB for this season.
Chaney thinks our two backups have better arms and more football IQ than JG. He wants to try one but CJP vetoed.

I know many here don’t like Basilio or care what he says.
I’m just passing along what he said.
Coach Pruitt is suffering from the same thing that other coaches that have gotten fired have suffered with. He's stubborn to the Core. JG will cost him his job

As for Basillo, he talks a lot. And a lot of it is just talk IMO.

I want to consume as much Tennessee related media as possible, so I appreciate what guys like Tony and the guys at fan run radio do. He can definitely be a lot to take sometimes though. Just depends on what mood he's in. He definitely finds himself more entertaining than most people probably find him LOL.

That said, he's just like everybody else. Right sometimes, wrong sometimes. Sometimes his info is good, sometimes it isn't. No different than anybody else.

Except DeerPark. That dude's always right.

Reactions: Vfl2407
There is no way conversation about JG between these 3 guys would ever see daylight. It could have occurred, but probably not in the context portrayed by Basilio. A boss has every right to have an employee explain his strategy when the job isn’t getting done. I don’t think Fulmer would force Pruitt into a change. Dickey didn’t interfere with Fulmer and he knows the value of that as a coach.

Granted, Pruitt might get some mentoring when asking for it. I just don’t see it as Fulmer pushing mandates down on him. Yes , this is click bait.

Not so sure that I believe this. If Fulmer wanted a change, it would happen. Can’t see Pruitt telling the guy that gave him his first Hc job No, especially a legendary coach turned AD.
Is Fulmer truly a legendary coach? Take away the national championship and what, exactly, does he bring to the table? He’s in over his head just like Pruitt...

I could see Bailey flipping to Georgia. It'd be one year at most (if he stays for his senior season) behind Fromm, right? The only other QB on their roster at the moment is a transfer who also has a year of eligibility left. Perhaps Alabama as well?

It wouldn't make sense for him to go to Florida, South Carolina, or Auburn given their current QB depth charts.
If Bailey flips, it will be to Ga-Tech. That’s the only school still recruiting him hard. Wouldn’t be shocked if he visits them, probably does, but he is ALL in right now with TN. UGA flipped OSU QB commit Dwayne Mathis on signing day and already have Carson Beck committed for this class and he’s ranked above Bailey so don’t see them contacting Bailey.

As for the ‘rumor’, don’t think it’s true but rarely do coaches hold hands, it can get heated time to time, not a big deal. Would be a big deal if the AD is giving unsolicited advice, that’s not his job. That’s a red flag, that’s meddling and players see/hear that. At the least, THAT would cause friction automatically caused solely by the AD but only IF it happened, which I personally doubt.

I didn’t even know Tony Basilio was still around.. talk about a guy that’s fallen off

Is Fulmer truly a legendary coach? Take away the national championship and what, exactly, does he bring to the table? He’s in over his head just like Pruitt...
I have to disagree with that. His championship is irrelevant. The man bleeds orange. He actually gives a hoot about the program. You can't ignore UT athletics has improved since he's been here. The football program, no, not yet, but the others are thriving. We can go back to an unaffiliated ad who only cares about his/her job. Would be a bad move imo.

Yes, Fulmer is truly a legendary coach. Anyone who lived through the Nineties as a Vol fan should be able to attest to this. He certainly waned at the end of his career, but, like I said, the Nineties were special.

I have to disagree with that. His championship is irrelevant. The man bleeds orange. He actually gives a hoot about the program. You can't ignore UT athletics has improved since he's been here. The football program, no, not yet, but the others are thriving. We can go back to an unaffiliated ad who only cares about his/her job. Would be a bad move imo.

A National Championship, which also happened to include an unbeaten season, is never irrelevant, and yes, he, maybe more than any other, cares about, and works to make great, the University of Tennessee.

Reactions: 4chrissy and AM64
Yes, Fulmer is truly a legendary coach. Anyone who lived through the Nineties as a Vol fan should be able to attest to this. He certainly waned at the end of his career, but, like I said, the Nineties were special.

Two years before he was removed as Coach, his team was playing in the SEC Championship game. We got spoiled, and expected to be at the top all the time. We are still paying for that decision.

A National Championship, which also happened to include an unbeaten season, is never irrelevant, and yes, he, maybe more than any other, cares about, and works to make great, the University of Tennessee.
I just meant it doesn't have any barring on his qualifications to be ad.

I just meant it doesn't have any barring on his qualifications to be ad.
You’re right about the good things he is doing for the school, but his having spent most of his life supporting the school, and being very successful as a winning Coach, which included the NC, made him a knowledgeable and well respected choice for TN AD.

There are many here who don't...especially in the 2A, Protect and Serve, and Politics threads. I have this ugly tendency to say what I think, back what I believe in, and defend what I hold sacred.

I'm kinda like GrandVol Lite.

Go Vols.
I got your 6 over there!

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
2 questions you ask bout Fulmer. "truly a legendary coach"? & "what, exactly, does he bring to the table"? You don't know the answers but you know "He’s in over his head just like Pruitt....". Not gonna ask you what 2+2 equals. Don't wanna see you publicly embarrassed
I find it odd that I ask a rhetorical question to make a point that Fulmer, although someone who loves the program, is not a legendary coach nor a good AD, but instead of attempting to attack my argument, you go low and try to insult me. How’s about you actually participate in a friendly debate and not attack someone just because you don’t agree with their point. Oh and 2+2=4, because by your logic that equation makes someone a genius.

VN Store

Back