Basilio saying Fulmer/Chaney want a new QB

On the subject of STARTING a QB other than JG, I’ll posit this thought. Once that’s done, you can’t walk it back and THEN say “now it’s your baby! We were just trying something.” Even more it being a lesser regarded opponent. I’m for giving him a short leash if there’s more of the same and kicking some tires but I’d never fault a HC being hesitant to essentially pull up stakes at that most important position. Once you do, the temptation to play musical chairs with the field general becomes doubly enabled. And that dynamic heavily contributed to Fulmer’s only two losing seasons. You can’t switch starters and credibly go back to the original with “you’re our guy!” JMO.

Of course he does. You know he can't help himself. He took the ad job so he could get as close as possible. Sure, he cares about the programs other sports, but fb was/is his life.
He's too involved. No good coach is going to come to UT when the AD is breathing down your neck because he thinks he can do as good of a job even though he was fired from it 11+ years ago.

I’m not going to call the dude out but this report is eerily similar to a tweet I read 2 days ago. A man claims he bumped into Fulmer on his way out after the game and asked him “So what do ya think?” Claims Fulmers response was “I think we need a qb.” Just a tweet so it isn’t a reliable source but the OPs thread title reminded me of it. Could hold some weight.
I just quoted Basilio as exactly what he said.
Quoting him doesn’t infer my approval or agreement.
I think his shows are archived on his web site should you want to confirm.

He's too involved. No good coach is going to come to UT when the AD is breathing down your neck because he thinks he can do as good of a job even though he was fired from it 11+ years ago.
I hope he just sticking to his late night film room obsession and leaving it at that. He shouldve got the picture after that slap on the wrist last yr.

Chaney is the oc. Didn't Pruitt hire him? If you hire a man to run the offense, trust what he tells ya and let him run the offense. Good grief. If this is true, Pruitts doing a good job planning his own demise.
This is spot on right if you don't trust the man you hired then that is whole set different problems , TV showed Chaney and T multiple times and
Chaney just before halftime looked to be totally frustrated ...………………….

Nah. Truth is I don’t trust anything I haven’t seen for myself. That includes any quotes from anyone media. I’ve seen too many “slanted” stories after witnessing it myself, especially in “closed to the public” situations like practice.

But I do trust that’s what you did. And appreciate it

I hope he just sticking to his late night film room obsession and leaving it at that. He shouldve got the picture after that slap on the wrist last yr.
Did you see him at the presser after the game? Looked like a po'd father

He's gonna end up doing more bad than good IMO

I'm concerned about him flipping, but I do wonder how he views Pruitt's commitment to his QB? I try to put myself in his shoes to see what I would think/feel/do, but I can't, haha.
It's hard to get in the head of young people. We had a 5* at both home games, as we were leaving the BYU game, we..my husband and I, ended up walking beside both he and his father. I heard hubby asking someone "if us losing these two games scared him off." He said "Nope, looks ya'll need me."

When we got separation between us, I asked hubs who that was...he said that big recruit that's been coming to the games.....take it for what it's worth. I think kids these days, think differently than we do.

Just listened to his show.
He said that his anonymous source X in the UTAD is saying:
Fulmer is extremely upset that Pruitt didn’t get us a good transfer QB for this season.
Chaney thinks our two backups have better arms and more football IQ than JG. He wants to try one but CJP vetoed.

I know many here don’t like Basilio or care what he says.
I’m just passing along what he said.
Hey I listen to Basillio from time to time and I envy what he has done with his personality and passion for sports, but if he didn’t hear it himself, I am not going with it.

This is spot on right if you don't trust the man you hired then that is whole set different problems , TV showed Chaney and T multiple times and
Chaney just before halftime looked to be totally frustrated ...………………….
Hopefully we're just overreaching here and it's not what we think. Surely Pruitt isn't so dense to see what micromanaging did to Jones. Maybe Chaney and Tee are just frustrated with JG like we are. I don't think Chaney would've came here knowing he can't run his own offense.

Reactions: joevol33 and AM64
It's hard to get in the head of young people. We had a 5* at both home games, as we were leaving the BYU game, we..my husband and I, ended up walking beside both he and his father. I heard hubby asking someone "if us losing these two games scared him off." He said "Nope, looks ya'll need me."

When we got separation between us, I asked hubs who that was...he said that big recruit that's been coming to the games.....take it for what it's worth. I think kids these days, think differently than we do.
Arik Gilbert? 🙏

Reactions: VolNExile
Yep.
I just hope that Harrison Bailey is the answer and he starts from day one.

Just FYI: our OC is Chaney, Cheney was Vice Pres.

If CJP won't give playing time to backup QB that is on team now not even a sniff, why would anyone think he will turn team over to freshman
QB just out high school and JG still on team next season ...………………….

On the subject of STARTING a QB other than JG, I’ll posit this thought. Once that’s done, you can’t walk it back and THEN say “now it’s your baby! We were just trying something.” Even more it being a lesser regarded opponent. I’m for giving him a short leash if there’s more of the same and kicking some tires but I’d never fault a HC being hesitant to essentially pull up stakes at that most important position. Once you do, the temptation to play musical chairs with the field general becomes doubly enabled. And that dynamic heavily contributed to Fulmer’s only two losing seasons. You can’t switch starters and credibly go back to the original with “you’re our guy!” JMO.

But what you can do...and should probably give serious consideration to when your #1 QB is 8-15...is pull all three in to your office and have a heart-to-heart convo with them. Something to the effect of "I don't know what it's going to take to score more points, but we are going to find it starting right now." "Jarrett gets the start, and the first three possessions. Impress me, and you stay in. Don't, and we go to Shrout/Maurer for the next three possessions. Same goes for you. If we get to QB #3, you're playing to stay in the game, or else we go back to JG and start over."

"If we end up with Jujuan Jennings at QB, then so be it. But we are going to find a QB who can lead this team effectively, and we are going to find him on Saturday. Florida and the rest of the SEC lie ahead. I don't have time to screw around anymore; it's time to find a leader for this offense."

"The job is Jarrett's to keep, or yours to take. Playtime is over. From this point forward, I want a meat-eater at QB. You go figure out who it's going to be."

And send them out.

Go Vols.

Last edited:
Did you see him at the presser after the game? Looked like a po'd father

He's gonna end up doing more bad than good IMO
Could you honestly blame him though? We need an ad that actually cares for a change. Now if he starts meddling and over-stepping his opinions on the staff then you're right. I wouldn't blame him for getting onto Jeremys a** though. A basic you better figure this out or there's consequences so to speak.

If CJP won't give playing time to backup QB that is on team now not even a sniff, why would anyone think he will turn team over to freshman
QB just out high school and JG still on team next season ...………………….
JG can be a GT IIRC

Reactions: tbh
But what you can do...and should probably give serious consideration to when your #1 QB is 8-15...is pull all three in to your office and have a heart-to-heart convo with them. Something to the effect of "I don't know what it's going to take to score more points, but we are going to find it starting right now." "Jarrett gets the start, and the first three possessions. Impress me, and you stay in. Don't, and we go to Shrout/Maurer for the next three possessions. Same goes for you. If we get to QB #3, you're playing to stay in the game, or else we go back to JG and start over."

"If we end up with Jujuan Jennings at QB, then so be it. But we are going to find a QB who can lead this team effectively, and we are going to find him on Saturday. Florida and the rest of the SEC lie ahead. I don't have time to screw around anymore; it's time to find a leader for this offense."

"The job is Jarrett's to keep, or yours to take. Playtime is over. From this point forward, I want a meat-eater at QB. You go figure out who it's going to be."

And send them out.

Go Vols.
You. I like you.

Idk about that. Fulmer has already gotten himself in some heat for coaching the o line last year. And during his interview in the booth at the spring game he admitted he avidly watches practice tape.

That's not really the sort of involved I'm talking about. I rather doubt Fulmer is getting involved in player decisions.

VN Store

Back