Pruitts attitude is completely unacceptable

Change QBs? Actually have a QB competition in the spring/fall to determine the QB? Choose the QB based off of his ability to make QB decisions rather than seniority and QBR?

It's not rocket science.
I'm sure the coaches evaluated the QB:s and determined the best option. No need to have a publicly stated competition to do that.

I'm sure the coaches evaluated the QB:s and determined the best option. No need to have a publicly started competition to do that.

After watching the complete unpreparedness of the the team yesterday, and the decision to rotate oline members around like musical chairs, can you honestly assume that the coaching staff is making the best/correct decisions when it comes to QB evaluation and choice?

After watching the complete unpreparedness of the the team yesterday, and the decision to rotate oline members around like musical chairs, can you honestly assume that the coaching staff is making the best/correct decisions when it comes to QB evaluation and choice?
Fair point. This team wasn't prepared from top to bottom but if we're using that argument and they didn't prepare the team are we to trust they prepared the single most important guy on the field in the QB to play? Why come down so hard on a single player when we know this team wasn't prepared? I've said from the beginning this falls on the staff. The offense is fixable IMO. The defense has personnel issues.

STFU, if there was a better option at QB he would be on the field playing yesterday. I'm sorry I didn't spell that out for you.....I figured that was obvious.

The real issue is this team doesn't have the line play on either side of the ball which is troubling after years of decent to great classes for the o line. The defensive line just doesn't have anyone particularly talented on it by SEC standards.

JG has not played well, he had a rough first game but that doesn't change the fact he was able to piece together decent QB play behind a terrible o line in the toughest defensive conference in the country. It's his until someone takes it from him, and the fact no other QB has taken his place this far tells you all you need to know about who the best option we have is. The most popular guy on the roster when any team is struggling is the backup QB. I would have started that earlier but I was afraid that would come off a little too "Captain Obvious".

You worry about you and I'll continue to eat at the big boys table.
Not sure you can handle the “big boys table” if you think JG wasn’t the anointed starter by default. He was wet nursed along by our coaching staff bc he’s too fragile to compete for the job straight up. Our coaching staff took a gamble that JG would get it and crapped out.

I’m sorry I didn’t spell out for you that the strength of our O is in our experienced WR corps DOWNFIELD and we need a QB who can get the ball to them and let them dominate the game. Mr. Checkdown JG ain’t that guy. But Brian Maurer is. He’s every bit as good as Bo Nix at AUB, and is our ONLY answer rn in the vertical passing game.

Reactions: tbones0711
I'm sure the coaches evaluated the QB:s and determined the best option. No need to have a publicly stated competition to do that.
You’re sure? Or you assumed? I think it’s obvious there was no QB competition and that JG was anointed by default due to his experience ONLY. Our coaches gambled that JG would get it. And crapped out.

Not sure you can handle the “big boys table” if you think JG wasn’t the anointed starter by default. He was wet nursed along by our coaching staff bc he’s too fragile to compete for the job straight up. Our coaching staff took a gamble that JG would get it and crapped out.

I’m sorry I didn’t spell out for you that the strength of our O is in our experienced WR corps DOWNFIELD and we need a QB who can get the ball to them and let them dominate the game. Mr. Checkdown JG ain’t that guy. But Brian Maurer is. He’s every bit as good as Bo Nix at AUB, and is our ONLY answer rn in the vertical passing game.
Ok, if you think the coaching staff hamstrung themselves purposefully by playing an inferior qb because they were afraid the#1 from last year couldn't handle that you are wearing a tinfoil hat and no reasonable conversation or debate can be had with you. I'll continue to sit at the table with the other sane adults if you want to start over.

You’re sure? Or you assumed? I think it’s obvious there was no QB competition and that JG was anointed by default due to his experience ONLY. Our coaches gambled that JG would get it. And crapped out.
Obvious how?

Saying Pruitt doesn’t care or doesn’t respect football is silly. Suggesting that Pruitt is only interested in money is silly. Suggesting his love for Alabama is hindering his effort is even sillier. The truth is simply that he got exposed as a coordinator that doesn’t have the minerals to sit in the captain’s chair. That is gamble you make when you hire a head coach with no previous experience. A gamble that UT lost. I don’t know what direction the program will go from here, but the heart of the fan base died today. I believe we have finally entered the acceptance stage of the grieving process that started the night Kiffin left. It’s just a sad day to be a Tennessee Vol.

The day the music (Rocky Top) does.

Ok, if you think the coaching staff hamstrung themselves purposefully by playing an inferior qb because they were afraid the#1 from last year couldn't handle that you are wearing a tinfoil hat and no reasonable conversation or debate can be had with you. I'll continue to sit at the table with the other sane adults if you want to start over.
No mr tin foil hat the coaching staff made a bet they could develop their ONLY experienced QB with starts under his belt into a serviceable SEC QB like Chaney has done before. They knew JG was too fragile to survive a real open QB competition. So they rolled the dice and lost big time.

If you think JG’s performance last night vs a Sunbelt D was acceptable in any form you’re the delusional one and you might want to look around and see who’s eating at that table with you.

Fair point. This team wasn't prepared from top to bottom but if we're using that argument and they didn't prepare the team are we to trust they prepared the single most important guy on the field in the QB to play? Why come down so hard on a single player when we know this team wasn't prepared? I've said from the beginning this falls on the staff. The offense is fixable IMO. The defense has personnel issues.
Agreed, failure all around. I think much of the fan base knows this but still attack JG (including myself) because tired of seeing the same ole song and dance. It is time to be done with the lip service. If we are gonna play this badly why not grow the next QB? JG has had his time and still shows the same tendencies and habits. Many of the stalled drives were of his doing. Yesterday, though not technically a shootout was a game that needed to match score for score and JG had two of the three turnovers. It is because of his lack of awareness and bad habits we failed to match GA State. JG is not a leader and anyone to say otherwise please show me where he has shown said qualities. Giving our D, every possession counts and we can't keep counting on FG's

Bc there was no open stated QB competition just reps. That’s how
So the backup is better....... How do we know this? We know this staff can evaluate players. If they didn't believe based on reps, film sessions and other means that JG was the best option he wouldn't be out there.

If the backup doesn't stand out by those means then he likely isn't going to produce better on the field. Unless you catch lightning in a bottle and end up with some gamer like a Manziel. It can happen but not very likely.

Bottom line is the entire team wasn't prepared to play Saturday. Impossible to put that on one guy as many of you are doing with JG. He was bad yesterday for sure, so were others on the offense, the defense was absolutely atrocious. If he struggles again against BYU then I think you yet another option to spark something.

My concern is that while the offense is fixable with some tweaking incline a possible change at qb, the issue on defense is a personnel issue, we don't have the meat in the middle and zero pass rush with green backers.

In a perfect scenario, yesterday’s “game” would have been a good opportunity to evaluate a lot of position groups. As it played out, did this desire to experiment blind us to the fact that goal is to win the game.

In a perfect scenario, yesterday’s “game” would have been a good opportunity to evaluate a lot of position groups. As it played out, did this desire to experiment blind us to the fact that goal is to win the game.

Even with the OL rotation, JG had protection, he just made typically bad QB decisions like he was prone to do all last season.

So the backup is better....... How do we know this? We know this staff can evaluate players. If they didn't believe based on reps, film sessions and other means that JG was the best option he wouldn't be out there.

If the backup doesn't stand out by those means then he likely isn't going to produce better on the field. Unless you catch lightning in a bottle and end up with some gamer like a Manziel. It can happen but not very likely.

Bottom line is the entire team wasn't prepared to play Saturday. Impossible to put that on one guy as many of you are doing with JG. He was bad yesterday for sure, so were others on the offense, the defense was absolutely atrocious. If he struggles again against BYU then I think you yet another option to spark something.

My concern is that while the offense is fixable with some tweaking incline a possible change at qb, the issue on defense is a personnel issue, we don't have the meat in the middle and zero pass rush with green backers.
A better more productive faster higher scoring vertical O that plays to the core strength of our team will create a positive domino chain effect that will fix a LOT of ills on BOTH sides of the ball. Our D can’t improve until they can get a breather. Until that QB change occurs we’re stuck in a death spiral of mediocrity. Sorry bout it believe what you want this is much bigger than one kid our entire program is on the line.

Change QBs? Actually have a QB competition in the spring/fall to determine the QB? Choose the QB based off of his ability to make QB decisions rather than seniority and QBR?

It's not rocket science.

The freshmen had every chance to prove themselves and the staff went with JG - but all that now has to be questioned after yesterday’s result. I will concede this Bearded: although I don’t think JG is the source of what ails us the most, a QB change might be warranted. The team doesn’t care if you change the left guard. But sometimes a team will rally behind a QB change so see if it brings a spark. It’s a roll of the dice, but at this point what does Pruitt have to lose? Agree?

It's not rocket science.

I liken JG to Ricky Bobby when he tried to drive again and ran around in his tighty whities screaming like a little girl and his team tried to calm him down.

Chaney and co worked with him all off season and he looked great. Then the moment he returned to the scene of the “crash” he freaked out with severe football PTSD and checked down on virtually every pass. I remember seeing Tee and Chaney shaking their head at one point late in the game as if they were baffled by what they were witnessing.

The freshmen had every chance to prove themselves and the staff went with JG - but all that now has to be questioned after yesterday’s result. I will concede this Bearded: although I don’t think JG is the source of what ails us the most, a QB change might be warranted. The team doesn’t care if you change the left guard. But sometimes a team will rally behind a QB change so see if it brings a spark. It’s a roll of the dice, but at this point what does Pruitt have to lose? Agree?

After seeing the lack of preparation, the choice to rotate olinemen, the choice to call plays that didn't involve guys making an effort and executing, do you honestly have faith that this coaching staff is properly evaluating and coaching this QB roster?

Wake the ***k up people! Let’s start a campaign to specifically define TENNESSEE standards of excellence that we expect our players and staff to adhere to and then demand zero tolerance enforcement of those standards. If the powers in charge can’t do it then it falls to us.

For me as a start I expect and demand us to show up for every game with passion fire and intensity ESPECIALLY at home and I’d bench anyone who doesn’t idc who they are.

I liken JG to Ricky Bobby when he tried to drive again and ran around in his tighty whities screaming like a little girl and his team tried to calm him down.

Chaney and co worked with him all off season and he looked great. Then the moment he returned to the scene of the “crash” he freaked out with severe football PTSD and checked down on virtually every pass. I remember seeing Tee and Chaney shaking their head at one point late in the game as if they were baffled by what they were witnessing.
JG has been jerked around thru multiple coordinators and I get it but with this staff he’s had resources off the charts with TWO NC winning QBs Weinke and Martin in addition to Chaney the QB Whisperer and he STILL hasn’t improved. It’s past time to throw in the towel on this guy. We can’t sink any lower than losing to GA ST.

No one can say with certainty if we do or do not have a better QB than Jerry Guarantina. Blindly trusting this staffs evaluations is delusional.

Reactions: Woke
I hate to be a Negavol, but Pruitt is not the answer. It’s so bad now I have no idea what the answer is, but I know it’s not him
Better than a blind loyal pumping sheep homer who is afraid of critical opinion.

We've been hearing the "trust the coaches, they know best" excuse/explanation since the end of Fulmer's tenure through awful coach to even worse coach.

VN Store

Back