Luck.......

Also if a double dribble is called Virginia losses to Auburn but the op is an idiot
There will always be questionable calls. The refs are human. I'm sure there were other bad calls. It's just more obvious at the very end.

Whatever the reason, Virginia was able to make the big shots when it counted. They made some 3's from the corner when they had to in more than one game. I was in Louisville and thought they were dead when they had 2 foul shots, 3 points down, and a fraction over 5 seconds to go. They made the first, missed the second and tapped the rebound into the back court. I thought it was over, and they got it into overtime.

They were incredible at the end of games when the outcome was up in the air. In my mind, the only real questionable call they got was the missed double dribble. They won the games when they had a chance.

Hit their FT’s all tournament long. Which Tennessee didn’t do. Funny how Bruin wants to make it all about the fates though.

There will always be questionable calls. The refs are human. I'm sure there were other bad calls. It's just more obvious at the very end.

Sure and that's why the game is entertaining and why luck is needed to win it all. That's the point

Yes the foul call against aurbun was correct but the dribble would have ended the game?

I guess that wasn't lucky for Virginia it wasn't called ???

Again, Auburn clearly fouled Jerome before the double dribble so it evened out.

Reactions: FlVols
They were phenomenal with games on the line.

Yeah and sure they hit a lucky shot against Purdue I’m not argue you that. But guess what, that didn’t win them the game. They still played OT. And UVA outplayed Purdue in OT and won.

That team didn’t turn the ball over and hit FT’s. That’s huge and props to them.

I'll tell you what was clear. Auburn absolutely choked away that first round game but state missed a wide open game winner

Thanks to Freak for pointing that out. Pearl was awful at the end of that game. What a crazy narrative switch

Which was absolutely the right call. Guy had to hit 3 ridiculously tough FT’s. He did. Auburn didn’t hit enough of theirs.

It was a two point game. UVA then got a good luck and was fouled. And Virginia went down today and hit all their FT’s down the stretch. That’s not luck.
The little guard for Auburn missed a ft with about 20 seconds left if memory serves that would have helped their cause considerably.

He was. He also had the #1 team in the country this year and changed some of his style after the debacle last year. Made an E8 in the last few years too. Props to him.

He’s also 49.
Really? He went from being a terrible tourney coach to a national champ in one year? Is it not more probable that the idea of being a good “tourney” coach is a farce because once you’re facing teams of similar ilk in a single elimination tourney it’s largely based on the bounce of the ball and your luck with the refs’ whistles? Look everybody loves March Madness, but it obviously does not determine the best teams. Was Tech the second best team in the country this year? Were UConn and Kentucky 1 and 2 a few years back when Napier was a Huskie and those two met in the final as a 7 and 8 seed respectfully? With all due respect, I find it illogical to judge a coach based on a fickle single elimination tourney rather than the larger body of work the regular season provides, there’s simply more data points there to consider.

Reactions: BruinVol
Drew up a good play to get Guy a good look and then got him 3 FT’s. I bet ole Tony was lucky he thought of that one.

Good thing he did because blowing a 10pt lead with 4min left would have left him
As the biggest post season choker ever

Can you imagine if Harper hadn't missed that free throw?

I mean very lucky for the hoos

Reactions: Vol49er
Bruin: THE TOURNAMENT IS ALL LUCK, TENNESSEE GOT UNLUCKY BECAUSE WE GOT THE WRONG END OF A CONTROVERSIAL CALL

(Ignores UT going 14-28 from the FT

(Ignores Rick Barnes sitting Grant Williams to start OT)

Bruin: THE TOURNAMENT IS ALL LUCK, TENNESSEE GOT UNLUCKY BECAUSE WE GOT THE WRONG END OF A CONTROVERSIAL CALL

(Ignores UT going 14-28 from the FT

(Ignores Rick Barnes sitting Grant Williams to start OT)
Look UT could’ve won that game. But New Mexico State could’ve won their game by making just one more shot. Then Auburn is knocked out in the first round and Bruce is still thought of as a “bad tourney coach” (a sentiment I saw on here). Instead, he’s taken two different programs (at least, could be more, but def UT and Auburn) further than they’ve ever been in the tourney, and he’s a FF coach. I’m sure you could find some instance that Auburn could’ve gotten called for a foul and didn’t, and had they, NMS would’ve won. Because it’s just that fickle.

Really? He went from being a terrible tourney coach to a national champ in one year? Is it not more probable that the idea of being a good “tourney” coach is a farce because once you’re facing teams of similar ilk in a single elimination tourney it’s largely based on the bounce of the ball and your luck with the refs’ whistles? Look everybody loves March Madness, but it obviously does not determine the best teams. Was Tech the second best team in the country this year? Were UConn and Kentucky 1 and 2 a few years back when Napier was a Huskie and those two met in the final as a 7 and 8 seed respectfully? With all due respect, I find it illogical to judge a coach based on a fickle single elimination tourney rather than the larger body of work the regular season provides, there’s simply more data points there to consider.

Okay I shouldn’t have said terrible. He’s underperformed.

And I believe if there’s enough of a sample size of a coach you can judge him based on his tournament abilities.

You know Rick Barnes hasn’t won a tournament conference title since 1994? He’s only made 3 S16 in the last 15 years despite making the tournament 12 times in that span? Is that luck? Or maybe Barnes isn’t good in those situations. I’d choose the latter.

Bruin: THE TOURNAMENT IS ALL LUCK,

Nah it isn't all about luck but for many games it comes down to it. This year shows the Natty winner had to be very lucky. I'd love to see the other Natty winners but I'd guess most experienced a great deal of luck. Virgina seemed to get more than any other champion but they deserved it.

Reactions: Vol49er
Okay I shouldn’t have said terrible. He’s underperformed.

And I believe if there’s enough of a sample size of a coach you can judge him based on his tournament abilities.

You know Rick Barnes hasn’t won a tournament conference title since 1994? He’s only made 3 S16 in the last 15 years despite making the tournament 12 times in that span? Is that luck? Or maybe Barnes isn’t good in those situations. I’d choose the latter.
That’s your prerogative. I just don’t think coaching in the tourney is too terribly different than coaching in the regular season, so the fact that he hasn’t had great tourney luck shouldn’t overshadow all the good he’s done in the regular season. But we’ll see. Hopefully Barnes takes us (and not UCLA! Ha!) on many deep runs until retirement and this debate is no longer one

Reactions: FlVols
Look UT could’ve won that game. But New Mexico State could’ve won their game by making just one more shot. Then Auburn is knocked out in the first round and Bruce is still thought of as a “bad tourney coach” (a sentiment I saw on here). Instead, he’s taken two different programs (at least, could be more, but def UT and Auburn) further than they’ve ever been in the tourney, and he’s a FF coach. I’m sure you could find some instance that Auburn could’ve gotten called for a foul and didn’t, and had they, NMS would’ve won. Because it’s just that fickle.

Sure, there are times where luck can affect situations. Auburn for example. I don’t disagree with you. For example baseball playoffs is a lot of luck situations. And you are making good points.

But see Bruin has been whining about this for over a week. And instead of admitting UT’s failures he’s trying to cover up Barnes’ failures and good ole Rick Barnes is just an unlucky SOB. He’s just been unlucky for 15 years!

VN Store

Back