Luck.......

For example baseball playoffs is a lot of luck situations.

Oh goodness.
That's why the winner take all
Game is so entertaining but the playoff series are a Much better way to find the best team to advance. Same with the NBA

Again you make a great point making your overall point seem worse

Sure, there are situations and times where luck can affect situations. Auburn for example. I don’t disagree with you. For example baseball playoffs is a lot of luck situations. And you are making good points.

But see Bruin has been whining about this for over a week. And instead of admitting UT’s failures he’s trying to cover up Barnes’ failures and good ole Rick Barnes is just an unlucky SOB. He’s just been unlucky for 15 years!
I do think he’s been unlucky, but you’re right, he’s not been perfect either. What most frustrated me after the Purdue game wasn’t the officiating or the coaching though. It was those dang free throws. Make one more....
I think Barnes is a fantastic coach, and I’m so glad we still have him. I will concede you this though, I wish he’d use his time outs more liberally, and I am consistently underwhelmed by his inbounds plays with limited time. However, I think those problems are not limited to the tourney, I think he’s no worse in the tourney than he is in the regular season for the most part. If there’s any reason he’s worse in the tourney, perhaps he plays too short of a rotation or puts too many minutes on the starters during the regular season and they re worn down by season’s end? That is one scenario I’ve considered I will admit

Oh goodness.
That's why the winner take all
Game is so entertaining but the playoff series are a Much better way to find the best team to advance. Same with the NBA

Again you make a great point making your overall point seem worse

You seem to be missing my point. There are times when you get unlucky (you argue Tennessee got unlucky and that’s why they loss this year which is silly. Tennessee didn’t hit their FT’s). But for Barnes, it’s not luck as to why he doesn’t get the job done in the tournament. He’s not that good in those situations because he’s shown that for 25 years. It is what it is.

You seem to be missing my point. There are times when you get unlucky (you argue Tennessee got unlucky and that’s why they loss this year which is silly. Tennessee didn’t hit their FT’s). But for Barnes, it’s not luck as to why he doesn’t get the job done in the tournament. He’s not that good in those situations because he’s shown that for 25 years

Ill agree with you on Barnes over the years but imo Barnes has reinvented himself. With that said I can only judge Barnes off the last two years. I see no reason to fret that he can't win. I just think he's due for some luck because with alexander getting hurt and he bad call we are due

Overall though i agree all those years isn't ALL bad luck

Reactions: Vol49er
Luck is nice....but I still maintain too many games were decided by Zebras.

Ill agree with you on Barnes over the years but imo Barnes has reinvented himself. With that said I can only judge Barnes off the last two years. I see no reason to fret that he can't win. I just think he's due for some luck because with alexander getting hurt and he bad call we are due

Overall though i agree all those years isn't ALL bad luck

Cool, we found a compromise.

Hey maybe he has and these past two years has just been unfortunate. If Grant and Bone come back and Josiah is solid he’s got a chance to have another really good team.

Reactions: Vol49er
Cool, we found a compromise.

Hey maybe he has and these past two years has just been unfortunate. If Grant and Bone come back and Josiah is solid he’s got a chance to have another really good team.

Good deal

I hope those guys come back but I always enjoy years with less expectations if it results in a good year

Bruin: THE TOURNAMENT IS ALL LUCK, TENNESSEE GOT UNLUCKY BECAUSE WE GOT THE WRONG END OF A CONTROVERSIAL CALL

(Ignores UT going 14-28 from the FT

(Ignores Rick Barnes sitting Grant Williams to start OT)
I agree UT should have hit their FTs, but aren't you ignoring that despite missing those FTs, they still overcame a large deficit to get back into the game?

11 years?

I'd swear the Vols have been more than that but I am truly now sure how good our program really is
I don't care to look it up, but we've been there no less than 3 with one elite 8 in the last 11 years. This year, Martin's final year, the elite 8 year.

Virginia vs Purdue

Virginia vs Auburn

Virginia vs Texas Tech

Stop stop stop telling me this is a tournament sport. March is all about luck
Good teams find a way to win.

Tell VA and Auburn (SEC Champs) its not a tournament sport..

I think with any championship, in most cases it takes a bit of luck, the ball bouncing your way. If luck is like a bank account, I think we used all ours up and then took out a loan in '98. Haven't got a lot of breaks in anything since then.

It's only fitting that we're seeing articles saying that the championship was decided by a bad call against TT. This season should be remembered as the year the REFS won a Natty.

Last nights game was part of the tourney.
And it was their only close game. The other 5 they destroyed their opponents. They had a 3 pt lead with 13 seconds left. The clearly played the best of all the teams over the course of the tourney

I do think he’s been unlucky, but you’re right, he’s not been perfect either. What most frustrated me after the Purdue game wasn’t the officiating or the coaching though. It was those dang free throws. Make one more....
I think Barnes is a fantastic coach, and I’m so glad we still have him. I will concede you this though, I wish he’d use his time outs more liberally, and I am consistently underwhelmed by his inbounds plays with limited time. However, I think those problems are not limited to the tourney, I think he’s no worse in the tourney than he is in the regular season for the most part. If there’s any reason he’s worse in the tourney, perhaps he plays too short of a rotation or puts too many minutes on the starters during the regular season and they re worn down by season’s end? That is one scenario I’ve considered I will admit
Purdue missed 17 free throws in the game. 16-33. So We were lucky to have the lead with 2.7 seconds left. You can play this "luck" angle any way you want. Same with bad calls from refs. You either did what it took to win or you didn't.

VN Store

Back