Search For Lady Vols Basketball Coach

Just has talent can be improved through coaching it can be destroyed and unimproved by the same type of influence, coaching
I think its semantics, what you consider actual talent. I know its common to call it talent as soon as a hs ranking service rates it as that. Or because of raw physical measurements like speed, jumping ability, etc. that could and should be developed into an actual basketball player. I realize all coaches believe their genius will allow the molding of any lump of appropriate clay into an All-American.

I'm way more simple. A player is talented to me when they are able to produce fairly consistent, succesful, winning results in an SEC basketball game. What I spy with my own eye is next to none of that on the current LV roster.

Maybe we need a new category: talent suppressed by bad coaching.

Glv98, I struggle with the word talent. The way I understand the meaning in my own way is 5* POTENTIAL, 3* POTENTIAL, 1* POTENTIAL to be successful at the college level. It is the college coaches responsibility to ensure that consistent success occurs and potential is achieved.

First year costs for Walz would be about 8X the cost for Harper. At least 3X in subsequent years.

Now that Harper is on the interview list, Fulmer will actually have to defend NOT hiring her if he goes another way, and then justifying why he spent more money to go with candidate X. If candidate X is Walz or another top coach with a proven track record, he'll be able to do that. But if it's an assistant, a mid-major coach, or a P-5 coach with a so-so record who the fans aren't familiar with, he'll have a much harder sales job.

Remember, too, that fans on this board are, in general, much more knowledgeable about other programs and coaches than the casual fans and general public. And that will skew the reaction -- one way or another -- to whoever is selected. I think Niele Ivey would be a good, relatively low-cost choice, for example. But Fulmer would have his hands full defending her selection over Harper's to all but the cognoscenti.

Reactions: Momto2
That entire sideline entourage needs to be removed. The program needs to be scrubbed clean of all Holly influence and of people who might still be in her ear or she theirs. I might give Reeves a maybe.

You're right. Reeves would be the one to keep. But I suspect she might get some good offers from other programs in the near future. Heck, even Louisville is looking for a new recruiting assistant.

Reactions: Creekdog
I think its semantics, what you consider actual talent. I know its common to call it talent as soon as a hs ranking service rates it as that. Or because of raw physical measurements like speed, jumping ability, etc. that could and should be developed into an actual basketball player. I realize all coaches believe their genius will allow the molding of any lump of appropriate clay into an All-American.

I'm way more simple. A player is talented to me when they are able to produce fairly consistent, succesful, winning results in an SEC basketball game. What I spy with my own eye is next to none of that on the current LV roster.

Maybe we need a new category: talent suppressed by bad coaching.

When I first joined VN I was adamant about firing CHW
started a few threads
I was down on her ritght then because
I saw Diamond practice a couple of times and saw her play several times when I was coaching with the AAU GA Pistols
She had moves she was doing at 14 that she didn't readily do in college
When I saw how inconsistent she was playing I was stunned
When I saw that she wasw not being "addressed" on her way back to the bench after throwing a ghost pass,, dribble off the foot,,or a blatant disregard for whatever was going on, I fumed
That kid played her heart out for us
and she is playing her heart out now in the WNBA
In between, she disappeared

Geno is smart
he doesn't take moves away from his girls
He empowers them to use them
shoot the three,,make it a part of their game....

There was a day when breaking a player back down to nothing was a smart move
Not now
you take what they bring, use what works for them and
hone the skills they "want to use" off-game

I have two standing rules I use for every team
"If you don't practice it, you don't do it"
and
"If you don't do it in practice, you don't do it in a game"

Reactions: rmvol and OldNSlow
And mighty Beowulf strode
into the halls of Heorot bearing
the head of the monster before him
like a talisman
the grisly trophy bearing witness
that the bane of Hrothgar's land
would plague the folk no more...

Reactions: papatomany
If KJ Harper did get the job, I would hope she would be able to hire a quality assistant coach that knows offense. I could see her keeping the recruiting coordinator and possibly Gordon. Also, how about Elzy coming back?

I find it (slightly) encouraging that none of the players have officially announced they are transferring. I guess there's a lot of time for that later, but at least it seems they are sticking around to see who gets hired.

I find it (slightly) encouraging that none of the players have officially announced they are transferring. I guess there's a lot of time for that later, but at least it seems they are sticking around to see who gets hired.

I agree, I said this the other day. Seems to me they are pretty confident they're getting a proven coach or some of them would have already thrown in the towel. I think that the team last season was actually a pretty tight knit group among the players, they just didn't see eye to eye with their coach.

Reactions: cutiepie5 and And1
I wouldn't mind having them take a look at Nicki Collen, the current coach of the Atlanta Dream. She spent alot of time as an assistant in college before going to the WNBA and becoming 2018 Coach of the Year. She did pretty amazing things with the Dream last year. I'm sure the UT gig would pay a lot more.

I wouldn't mind having them take a look at Nicki Collen, the current coach of the Atlanta Dream. She spent alot of time as an assistant in college before going to the WNBA and becoming 2018 Coach of the Year. She did pretty amazing things with the Dream last year. I'm sure the UT gig would pay a lot more.
I don't think it's such a bad idea.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
There is never a "guarantee" in life, but some options give you a much better chance than others. That's why they cost more. They took a chance on a cheaper option that they hoped would work out with Holly and it blew up in their face. Not this time...

That is wholly incorrect. She was hand-picked by Pat to be her replacement. The job was never up for anyone else. Money was not a factor. The fact is they paid her what her worth was considered at that time, unfortunately her worth has not increased so her salary hasn't which is why people like you think Tennessee is cheap. Pat at the end was the highest or 2nd to Geno. Holly was paid handsomely at that time. Fast forward 6 years and her salary has not risen as others have, for good reason. You just can't get it thru your head that there is little competition for women's basketball coaches, the top are paid to stay. The rest are hoping to achieve that status one day. Until we find one of that status, we'd be foolish to pay anyone what you think and then lock us into a contract we cannot afford to buyout.

1)It's public info from Louisville University Personnel Committe minutes when they approves it. All UL coaches contracts are public via that route.
http://louisville.edu/president/athletic-association/minutes/2018/ulaa-personnel-6-12-2018/ Page 21 is Walz's Contract

2)The bonuses are additional they add on top of each other
Ie...Walz in 2019 made it to to the Elite - he got the Sweet 16 50K, additional 20K for Elite 8, so total Walz got 70K for NCAA Tourney
Ie...Walz 2018 made it to Final 4 - he got 50K for Sweet 16, 20K more for Elite 8, and 100K more for Final, so total was 170K for Tourney

That is exactly how I too it the first time: 50K for getting to Sweet 16, 20K more if he got them to Elite 8 - 70K total for SS and EE.

That is exactly how I too it the first time: 50K for getting to Sweet 16, 20K more if he got them to Elite 8 - 70K total for SS and EE.

His summary says his buyout is 1.475M, but his signed contract is $1.3M to walk away from his contract. I thought it was more.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Can anyone explain why no one considers or brings up Dana “Pokey” Chatman? I get it that she allegedly had consensual sex with college students but anyone that has ever been in college knows there is nothing outside the norm about teachers and staff having sex with students. It isn’t illegal for college age students to have sex with anyone; so I don’t see the problem.

Bottom line; Pokey was a hell of a coach with a better resume than anyone being discussed and we know she would be hugely successful. I would hire her.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Can anyone explain why no one considers or brings up Dana “Pokey” Chatman? I get it that she allegedly had consensual sex with college students but anyone that has ever been in college knows there is nothing outside the norm about teachers and staff having sex with students. It isn’t illegal for college age students to have sex with anyone; so I don’t see the problem.

Bottom line; Pokey was a hell of a coach with a better resume than anyone being discussed and we know she would be hugely successful. I would hire her.
Tennessee can't really hire a women's head basketball coach who would very possibly get sexually involved with the players

I have mentioned Pokey here before. Nothing about that situation was ever confirmed and her former players have denied anything happened while the player in question was at the school. Apparently their relationship mostly occurred after the player had graduated, she just happened to be a former player. Two consenting adults having a consensual relationship. She was not fired but resigned under the scrutiny to avoid a public spectacle. I suspect she would not have been able to land coaching jobs in the WNBA if something truly inappropriate had occurred. I always liked her and she can definitely coach basketball.

It was allegedly a student, not students. Not even sure it was a current student/player at the time. That aside, Pokey probably may not could coach in today’s climate. She is a boss lady and does not play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back