Search For Lady Vols Basketball Coach

Spook1

Ancient Vol
We know that AD Fulmer formally requested from Missouri State University for permission to talk with Kellie Jolly Harper as a candidate to become the LV basketball coach. Is there any other information on the pursuit by AD Fulmer. I read yesterday that Walz of Louisville had not been contacted nor was there any information regarding such. Hopefully, we will learn more soon.

We know that AD Fulmer formally requested from Missouri State University for permission to talk with Kellie Jolly Harper as a candidate to become the LV basketball coach. Is there any other information on the pursuit by AD Fulmer. I read yesterday that Walz of Louisville had not been contacted nor was there any information regarding such. Hopefully, we will learn more soon.

Walz has been contacted via email by some posters on here......

I agree if they don't interview Jeff Walz Phil Fulmer and the administration not doing their jobs

Not necessarily. CPF could have a list of several coaches without Walz name as part of it. There are hundreds of potential candidates out there; many (most) of them in no way suitable, but still....Somehow the myth has been created that if an individual isn't the leading 'click' choice on social media they are a terrible choice. It is possible that WBB has evolved to the point that the unannounced, back channel discussion common in both CFB and MCBB is part of the process now.

Since there is no NSD staring us in the face right now, I'm going to be patient and trust AD CPF.

Not necessarily. CPF could have a list of several coaches without Walz name as part of it. There are hundreds of potential candidates out there; many (most) of them in no way suitable, but still....Somehow the myth has been created that if an individual isn't the leading 'click' choice on social media they are a terrible choice. It is possible that WBB has evolved to the point that the unannounced, back channel discussion common in both CFB and MCBB is part of the process now.

Since there is no NSD staring us in the face right now, I'm going to be patient and trust AD CPF.
It sounds more and more like the hire will be unimpressive

Reactions: Manning Up
Just be patient and wait until something of substance happens before you get all bent out of shape about “lack of information“. The athletic department doesn’t owe it to anyone to keep us apprised of their every move. Maybe they have contacted Walz and are just keeping a tight lid on it, you can’t believe everything you hear in the media. We all have BVS, and if you haven’t learned how to deal with a coaching search yet, then you must’ve been sleeping under a rock for the past 10 years.

Last edited:
I agree if they don't interview Jeff Walz Phil Fulmer and the administration not doing their jobs

Not necessarily fishy, Fulmer might not want to pay what is needed to entice him to consider leaving Louisville

Walz current contract is public from University minutes when it was approved

Base salary - 1.475M thru 2021, 1.525M 2021-2024, 1.575M in 2025
Car Allowance - 500/mth
Conf regular season title - 40K
Conf tourney title - 40K
Sweet 16 - 50K
Elite 8 - 20K
Final 4 - 100K
Championship - 200K
Conf coach of year 25K
National Coach of year 50K
Academic APR over 950 - 25K
Team GPA over 3.0 - 25K

Buyout by coach 1.475M

Last edited:
It sounds more and more like the hire will be unimpressive
Why? Nobody has a clue what is being done other than one request for an interview. We heard this same crap over the OC search. People were dog cussing Phil up and down until the hire was made, then they were licking his boots afterward. Craziest fan base I have ever seen.

Why? Nobody has a clue what is being done other than one request for an interview. We heard this same crap over the OC search. People were dog cussing Phil up and down until the hire was made, then they were licking his boots afterward. Craziest fan base I have ever seen.
It happens every coaching search with this fanbase........a good chunk of people immediately fall in love with one candidate and act like that person the only one who knows how to coach and every other candidate is complete trash.

Why don't we just wait and let Fulmer do his job. Most people on this board wanted the previous AD fired and were happy with the Fulmer hire. Now they do not trust him to make the correct decision (rather the hire they want). When the new coach is hired half of the fan base will be happy and the other half will go ballistic. What a way to be loyal to your team!

Reactions: jim43 and T_Vol376
Just be patient and wait until something of substance happens before you get all bent out of shape about “lack of information“. The athletic department doesn’t owe it to anyone to keep us apprised of their every move. Maybe they have contacted walls and are just keeping a tight lid on it, you can’t believe everything you hear in the media. We all have BVS, and if you haven’t learned how to deal with a coaching search yet, then you must’ve been sleeping under a rock for the past 10 years.

Hard to hire coaches in full public view, limits what can be said and the type deal that can be made. Many potential deals have been squashed by the press/fanbase knowing too much too soon. Tell us when you are done.

Hard to hire coaches in full public view, limits what can be said and the type deal that can be made. Many potential deals have been squashed by the press/fanbase knowing too much too soon. Tell us when you are done.
Exactly my point and exactly why I'm not worried or concerned at this point.

Whomever Fulmer hires, he had better first get the approval of the players, especially Evina Westbrook.

Franklin,I sincerely hope this was a tongue in cheek comment by you. Players can have opinions on coaches,but in no way should be arbiters of a hiring decision. Phil will do his best for the university and the players.

Reactions: 1955bamavol
Why don't we just wait and let Fulmer do his job. Most people on this board wanted the previous AD fired and were happy with the Fulmer hire. Now they do not trust him to make the correct decision (rather the hire they want). When the new coach is hired half of the fan base will be happy and the other half will go ballistic. What a way to be loyal to your team!

Suspense is killing us

Dogs-Patience-funny-Best-Demotivational-Posters.jpg

If Phil does not at least consider Walz, there's something fishy going on in the AD office.

Last week I saw an article that stated a really big buy out number in Walz's contract. Now I cannot find it. It was millions though. 'Course, just cuz somebody says it doesn't make it real news. I do know that the buy out figure negotiation of his prior contract protracted the whole process and led to Walz hiring an agent.

I think Kellie's buyout may be 100 grand so you can see why they like that part. She is making 250 k another part they like because they can double or triple her salary and still be at what they were paying Holly. She is a very nice person and really connects with players. She may not be tough enough to win in the SEC but from a cost and public relations standpoint she is a huge winner. Giving her the job is a 50/50 proposition of success or failure. Of course you get better odds with coaches that make 8 times and much money but that gets you into 8 to 10 million a year in the red and Tennessee may not want to go there especially since there are a lot of sports that are red sports as well. The only two I can think of that make a profit are of course football the cash cow of all sports and men's basketball.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
I think Kellie's buyout may be 100 grand so you can see why they like that part. She is making 250 k another part they like because they can double or triple her salary and still be at what they were paying Holly. She is a very nice person and really connects with players. She may not be tough enough to win in the SEC but from a cost and public relations standpoint she is a huge winner. Giving her the job is a 50/50 proposition of success or failure. Of course you get better odds with coaches that make 8 times and much money but that gets you into 8 to 10 million a year in the red and Tennessee may not want to go there especially since there are a lot of sports that are red sports as well. The only two I can think of that make a profit are of course football the cash cow of all sports and men's basketball.

I think if she is hired and can keep Reeves on board recruiting should be ok. Also, I wonder how much Bridgett Gordon was allowed to teach, etc. under Holly. I know recruits liked Holly, but I would have a hard time believing she would be the only reason they would come to Tennessee. If that is the case then they will not do very well with a tougher coach.

I think if she is hired and can keep Reeves on board recruiting should be ok. Also, I wonder how much Bridgett Gordon was allowed to teach, etc. under Holly. I know recruits liked Holly, but I would have a hard time believing she would be the only reason they would come to Tennessee. If that is the case then they will not do very well with a tougher coach.
Well there is room for two Assistants if she is hired don't know who they will be. Her husband is certainly one so someone isn't staying if she is hired and she has two other people at Mo State one was a former player and I think Stiles was a former head coach somewhere. So somebody is leaving of the three we have now and i expect it will be more than one.

VN Store

Back