Search For Lady Vols Basketball Coach

I did not realize Mathew Mitchell made over a million a year. Great coach, but cannot seem to get many big time recruits, but he gets everything out of what he has.

Phil must be looking for one of the coaching assistants in the final4...this has to be the reason why he's dragging this thing out...we need to to get moving here...we don't want to lose anymore players...I really don't want to lose Rae Burrell...I see something special there...go LVFL 🤙🧡🏀

I did not realize Mathew Mitchell made over a million a year. Great coach, but cannot seem to get many big time recruits, but he gets everything out of what he has.

Yeah shocked & disappointed me...mainly because I don't see Phil really going after a coach that's already north of a million. Not to say he won't pay that for a great HC hire...but if they are making over a million (and that data was from a 2017 survey, so likely gone up some) then you end up paying a Head Coach top dollar to come to UT and honestly I personally would rather pay the coach -when- they deliver, not before.

And since Pat's last championship in 2008 these are the only coaches to win it all (and in my mind warrant big bucks to hire)

Geno Auriemma (obviously not leaving UConn) - 6 Championships (2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) 4 of those 6 were undefeated!
Gary Blair (he's in his 70s and has been at A&M longer than any other coach there I think) - 1 Championship in 2011
Kim Mulkey - won it in 2012 very unlikely she leaves Baylor
Dawn Staley - won it in 2017 with South Carolina fantastic coach, but makes over a million and is already in the SEC
Muffet McGraw - won it last year with Notre Dame and won a title in 2001 during Pat/Geno era. according to the 2017 she's already making north of 1.3 a year though

A name who hasn't yet won a title, but is an interesting one...Vic Schaefer at Miss. State sitting at a career 194-56 (.776) while there since 2012-13 Season, has made 5 straight NCAA appearances, and 3 straight Elite Eight runs. The survey had him sub 500k, but according to Wikipedia he's clearing 1.5 million now. Originally from Texas and A&M is his Alma mater, but I wonder if he'd move?

Personally if I was going to throw big bucks at a coach he'd probably be very high on my list, higher than Walz even.

Vic would be my first choice. I also think Kelly Graves is a great coach. His best teams have had superstars though. Courtney Vandersloot and Sabrina Ionescue. The superstars make winning a lot easier.

Yeah if I'm just opening the wallet...I'd probably have these as my top 5

1. Dawn Staley (young, killing it in the SEC already, former player and I'm sure a fantastic recruiter at UT she'd likely reach Geno levels of dominance)
2. Vic Schaefer (SEC experience and is a great coach who has already started reaching SEC dominating levels, think UT would allow him to also step it up another notch)
3. Kelly Graves (Numbers don't lie, only worry here he's a West Coast guy)
4. Brenda Frese (young, amazing win % already, why not make her say no?)
5. Jeff Walz (his name is popping up for a reason, would UT give him enough of an edge to finally win?)

Reactions: mcannon1
Here's an interesting name...he's also already coaching in TN. Mark Campbell at Union University...I know it's not the same level of competition, but if you're going with a "no name" a dude with 600-91 (.868) already familiar with the state could be interesting.

Fastest to ever reach 600 wins and the first to ever do it with less than 700 games.

New Name In Lady Vol Head Coaching Race:
spacer.gif
ESPN's Kara Lawson wants the job as UT Head Coach according to multiple sources. In fact, Lawson is expected to interview for the job this weekend in Tampa. Think about the name recognition Lawson has and the street credibility she would bring to the recruiting trail. She could almost be, dare I say, the Lady Vols Jon Gruden.

Now there is a source saying that Kara will interview for the job of head coach at Tennessee.

spacer.gif
ESPN's Kara Lawson wants the job as UT Head Coach according to multiple sources. In fact, Lawson is expected to interview for the job this weekend in Tampa. Think about the name recognition Lawson has and the street credibility she would bring to the recruiting trail. She could almost be, dare I say, the Lady Vols Jon Gruden.

Now there is a source saying that Kara will interview for the job of head coach at Tennessee.

So here's why I'd support this hire.

1. Young
2. Played here and had a very solid WNBA career
3. Proven winner/competitor as a player 2 gold metals, 1 WNBA championship and played on 3 Final Four teams at UT and won the SEC regular season title all 4 years she was here, also played in 2 NCAA championship games
4. She played PG, I feel PG is the best position to transition to coaching
5. First HC gig, probably won't have to pay her more than Holly was making

I think you look at Dawn Staley's success, who jumped into coaching while still playing in the WNBA as an example that players can win early on with no prior coaching experience.

I see that now both Balogun and Dixon from GT (both of whom were interested in TN at one point) are both in the portal. Along with some of the UNC players, if we could get a coach hired, maybe we could get a shot at some quality players to replace any that transfer out.

spacer.gif

Out of all the options mentioned so far excluding Walz, I think Lawson would be the best shot at saving this program. I don't care if she doesn't have any coaching experience.

Phil must be looking for one of the coaching assistants in the final4...this has to be the reason why he's dragging this thing out...we need to to get moving here...we don't want to lose anymore players...I really don't want to lose Rae Burrell...I see something special there...go LVFL 🤙🧡🏀
I totally agree about Rae. Still has a bit of the baby giraffe about her but could really be a great player for us. Love her attitude. I also agree Phil will interview at a minimum Ivey so that will have to wait at least one more game. The big coaches pow wow is also happening this weekend so Phil could be interviewing our next coach right now!!!! That possibility should make some heads explode😉. Anyway I see a lot of great potential coaches out there who aren’t already running championship programs and making millions plus.
Have a great day today LV fans! Spring is finally here!

I am taking bets if Fulmer makes a decision about 7:00 tonight. All controversial decisions are made on the weekend in hopes that the press won't be quite so intense. Although that didnt work too well with the Greg Schiano hiring.

I am taking bets if Fulmer makes a decision about 7:00 tonight. All controversial decisions are made on the weekend in hopes that the press won't be quite so intense. Although that didnt work too well with the Greg Schiano hiring.

Now that was a Sunday afternoon I’ll never forget! VolTwitter was off the chain!!!

I'm a little surprised that we appear to be seriously considering someone with no coaching experience. I guess I need to stop being surprised by these things.

Reactions: bullet20
Cori Close should be at the top of the list of potential LVs HC candidates. In the NCAA tournament, she coached circles around Holly, maybe not a big achievement, but she did it, she out coached Brenda Frese, a big achievement, and she coached as well as Geno, in an 8 point losing effort, also a big achievement. Also, her players both like and respect her. Just listen to them talk about her in player interviews. Cori could restore the legacy of Pat Summitt that Holly has destroyed.

Dolly Parton should go on a nationwide tour advertising the search.

Hire should take place within a week. Dolly could sweettalk anyone.

Cori Close should be at the top of the list of potential LVs HC candidates. In the NCAA tournament, she coached circles around Holly, maybe not a big achievement, but she did it, she out coached Brenda Frese, a big achievement, and she coached as well as Geno, in an 8 point losing effort, also a big achievement. Also, her players both like and respect her. Just listen to them talk about her in player interviews. Cori could restore the legacy of Pat Summitt that Holly has destroyed.
Close signed 5 of the top 40 recruits in 2014 and all she got out of it was one Elite Eight. No thanks.

spacer.gif

As of Wednesday, she was advising the search but had indicated that she had no desire to be a target of it. I suppose things could have changed, but I’m not sure how much stock I’d put in that.

Dolly Parton should go on a nationwide tour advertising the search.

Hire should take place within a week. Dolly could sweettalk anyone.

The only thing I love more than Lady Vol Basketball is Dolly Parton. A national treasure, and you're right, they should just defer the search to Dolly and let her do her thing. lol

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back