Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impatience? They want an elite program and they want it now. Some probably get too wrapped up in the recruiting hype surrounding these kids. I'll say it again....you can't really judge what kind of program Pruitt is capable of building until he gets all the pieces he needs to run in the SEC. Let him graduate his first class....and I consider this class his first...then we will have a fair read on Pruitt.
Yep

Last year we did as well as we have ever done in the past 10 years at stopping the run on defense, all the while switching from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base. As I understand it one of the primary benefits of the 3-4 defense is it allows you to get more athletes (speed) on the field. With the exception of Gooden, all of our down linemen will basically be new for us this year so my question for you is this, do you think we improve or regress in our ability to stop the run this year. Is continuity and improved talent and depth at linebacker enough to offset the turnover up front?
View attachment 193351

It is interesting that Alabama's worst year is better than our best year.

It would be hard to imagine us being much better this year than last, due to inexperience, but there are just too many unknowns to really make a good guess at this point. I do believe the future is bright, I just don't know if it is going to happen this year.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
I'm not worried about next year. Our guys are back on the juice and we got bagmen handing out Benjamins all over the place. We're about to have a roster that looks like Bama's and UGA's. Or the Vols circa 1994-2004.
I missed the talk of being back on the juice. I’m all for it, but where is that coming from?

I think the Vols will be better this year. The team will be young, but more talented on both sides of the ball. The returning players will be better conditioned and more disciplined after a year and a half with this staff, and the older players will be pushed to achieve at a higher level by aggressive young players behind them. That will make the entire team more competitive.

A lack of leadership and accountability has hurt the Vols since Dobbs, Barnett, JRM, etc. left. IMO, we're getting some vocal FR leaders who want to win and won't tolerate the lackadaisical attitude and effort that has held the team back. No reason not to be optimistic and lots of reasons to expect more out of a team that's capable of achieving it.

I think they got some stout guys to help in this class, we also had good recruits last year.

I expect to see these guys in rotation.
Emerson
Gooden
Mincey
Harris
Bumphus
Butler

The issue is only 1 of them has shown he can hold up. The rest are unproven. Living up to match the best run D in a decade sure is a tall task.

If only we had gotten Briles. He don't need no stinkin stars. Alas, I think ole chaney will need a lot of talent to compete. Unfortunately im not sure we reach uga/bama level soon.

Gotta hope we can get back to relevance then hit on an explosive OC in a few years when chaney ready to retire.
About the opposite of the way I see it.

This is a really tough question, and allow me to interrupt the baseball discussion forum for a football-related post.

I think we see slight regression statistically. Part of the reason, I think, we saw the improvement we did last year was because we played teams that were more pass happy overall. We didn't play a bunch of spread teams, no, but WVU exposed our biggest weakness in Week 1, and that was our secondary depth and ability of our LBs to cover in the passing game. Teams passed more on us this year and didn't run as much. I think that'll change next year, though I think we'll be better at stopping the pass than this year. But we still don't have an elite pass rush, so that will be interesting to watch.

TLDR: I think teams will run the ball more against us this year, and I think the lack of experience up front will mean a slight regression, but nothing huge.

We defended the run 56% of the time last year, pretty average.

But the run D numbers were efficiency, not gross stats. Defending more runs is unlikely to change efficiency.

TENNESSEE FOOTBALL 2019 SCHEDULE
Georgia State
BYU
Chattanooga
@ Florida
OPEN
Georgia
Mississippi State
@ Bama
South Carolina
UAB
@ Kentucky
OPEN
@ Missouri
Vanderbilt

I mean, how do we lose more than 5? 7-5 should be the absolute floor next year.
MSU, USCe, and MO are pretty important games considering where they fall on the schedule. MSU sandwiched between GA and Bama and USCe in the regular "after bama" spot...and MO after a bye.

would love to steal one against UF or UGA this season....

I get it, but you know as well as I do, that the Nats and Phils underachieved. Its possible that they will again, but they have made significant moves to get better this offseason. The Braves haven't.

Here is a question to the Braves fans: Do you think this roster as currently constructed can win a World Series? If no, and that's the only answer, then what are we arguing about? We need to get better. The goal is to win the Series and nothing less. We have the money and the prospects to make moves to get better. Instead, they're letting our division rivals get better. Currently we sit 10 mil under our opening day budget last year. This is a terrible offseason by any measure. They could still make some moves, but there are no big time free agents position players left except for Machado and Harper, who nobody thinks the braves are after, and Realmuto who will be gone today or tomorrow to the Phils. What are we doing?
A catcher doesn’t put you in the World Series and when was the last big money whip FA signing that did? You build your farm system til they’re the core and you add the Scott Brosius types when you’re close. This GM knows how to make up (and stick with) a plan. The Braves also has a little bit to do with the Nats and Phil’s “underachieving”. 😉

About the opposite of the way I see it.

Think Chaney can do more with less? I'll be pleasantly surprised, but his philosophy seems to be angling away from spread and more into power, where talent is absolutely needed to perform. When asked what his philosophy was he said to build around playmakers. He's seemed to go away from systems and is relying more on talent. Hopefully we can get enough for him to do what he wants.

TENNESSEE FOOTBALL 2019 SCHEDULE
Georgia State
BYU
Chattanooga
@ Florida
OPEN
Georgia
Mississippi State
@ Bama
South Carolina
UAB
@ Kentucky
OPEN
@ Missouri
Vanderbilt

I mean, how do we lose more than 5? 7-5 should be the absolute floor next year.

Welp we lost to 6 of them last year and 5 were BLOWOUTS. Not close at all. So, we have a lot of ground to gain on those 5. Then there's USC, Miss St has been good recently, and BYU is good enough to upset us. Thus, 6-6 is a likely prediction for next year, though 7-5 isn't too crazy either.

You call it hatred, I call it a lack of trust that he can get right between the ears. I would love to see it don't get me wrong. I'll eat crow ass for a month and have a big smile on my face.
Don't say that------that's just wrong :eek::eek::eek:.

A catcher doesn’t put you in the World Series and when was the last big money whip FA signing that did? You build your farm system til they’re the core and you add the Scott Brosius types when you’re close. This GM knows how to make up (and stick with) a plan. The Braves also has a little bit to do with the Nats and Phil’s “underachieving”. 😉
Nobody says that adding Realmuto guarantees you into the series. But we need to fix our problems on offense. Realmuto and Donaldson is a huge upgrade over McCann/Flowers and Markakis. Not to mention, the Dodgers added Machado, one player, and where'd they go? Oh yeah, the World Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back