Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’d Vegas have them last season?
I get it, but you know as well as I do, that the Nats and Phils underachieved. Its possible that they will again, but they have made significant moves to get better this offseason. The Braves haven't.

Here is a question to the Braves fans: Do you think this roster as currently constructed can win a World Series? If no, and that's the only answer, then what are we arguing about? We need to get better. The goal is to win the Series and nothing less. We have the money and the prospects to make moves to get better. Instead, they're letting our division rivals get better. Currently we sit 10 mil under our opening day budget last year. This is a terrible offseason by any measure. They could still make some moves, but there are no big time free agents position players left except for Machado and Harper, who nobody thinks the braves are after, and Realmuto who will be gone today or tomorrow to the Phils. What are we doing?

I get it, but you know as well as I do, that the Nats and Phils underachieved. Its possible that they will again, but they have made significant moves to get better this offseason. The Braves haven't.

Here is a question to the Braves fans: Do you think this roster as currently constructed can win a World Series? If no, and that's the only answer, then what are we arguing about? We need to get better. The goal is to win the Series and nothing less. We have the money and the prospects to make moves to get better. Instead, they're letting our division rivals get better. Currently we sit 10 mil under our opening day budget last year. This is a terrible offseason by any measure. They could still make some moves, but there are no big time free agents position players left except for Machado and Harper, who nobody thinks the braves are after, and Realmuto who will be gone today or tomorrow to the Phils. What are we doing?

I remember growing up and every year we'd make the pilgrimage from Middle TN to watch a Braves game and there would be maybe 5000 people there. I was there for Hank's 700th home run and that was truly exciting.

Back on topic, Braves management seems content to just be competitive...and there is only one way to fix that....

I remember growing up and every year we'd make the pilgrimage from Middle TN to watch a Braves game and there would be maybe 5000 people there. I was there for Hank's 700th home run and that was truly exciting.

Back on topic, Braves management seems content to just be competitive...and there is only one way to fix that....
Yeah I think it is very similar to the regime that was in charge at TN for the last decade or more. Until Phil took over last year, we always went cheap. And we ended up with Dooley and Jones and cheap assistant coaches also and look where that got us. Suddenly Phil is spending money around here on football and we recruited one of the best classes in the country yesterday and we have one of the best coaching staffs, if not the best, in all of college football. The Braves need to do the same thing. I wish someone would buy them from Liberty Media if they're not willing to spend money. AA talked about money and us being able to do whatever we want, and, just like every year, that has proven to be all talk. Do we want to win or not? Maybe I should hope that MLB expands and Tennessee gets a team that I could root for who would actually spend money to get great players.

Last year we did as well as we have ever done in the past 10 years at stopping the run on defense, all the while switching from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base. As I understand it one of the primary benefits of the 3-4 defense is it allows you to get more athletes (speed) on the field. With the exception of Gooden, all of our down linemen will basically be new for us this year so my question for you is this, do you think we improve or regress in our ability to stop the run this year. Is continuity and improved talent and depth at linebacker enough to offset the turnover up front?
ScreenHunter 08.png

We are playing it smart. We didn't mortgage our future and we didn't overpay anyone. We have enough to get us to the top or within striking distance by the all-star break and the financial flexibility and prospects to make a move before the trade deadline if we need help the rest of the way.
But seriously, who would you have added that the Braves "missed" on?
The outfielders this year weren't worth the money or years they got with injury and performance histories (I think we got a steal in Markakis if we don't run him into the ground again). I still think any club is stupid to give Harper and Manchado the money they are asking for and the years required. That's how you kill the future of a club. The Marlins reportedly wanted waaaaaay to much Realmuto because we're a division rival.
Kimbrel is the only realistic piece I could say we should still try to add. And if a guy like Klubar becomes available (like he might mid-season), then you get another frontline starter.

We are playing it smart. We didn't mortgage our future and we didn't overpay anyone. We have enough to get us to the top or within striking distance by the all-star break and the financial flexibility and prospects to make a move before the trade deadline if we need help the rest of the way.
But seriously, who would you have added that the Braves "missed" on?
The outfielders this year weren't worth the money or years they got with injury and performance histories (I think we got a steal in Markakis if we don't run him into the ground again). I still think any club is stupid to give Harper and Manchado the money they are asking for and the years required. That's how you kill the future of a club. The Marlins reportedly wanted waaaaaay to much Realmuto because we're a division rival.
Kimbrel is the only realistic piece I could say we should still try to add. And if a guy like Klubar becomes available (like he might mid-season), then you get another frontline starter.
I think there were guys available. I think a guy like Brantley or Pollock could have been much better options than Markakis who is very unlikely to have a repeat of his top performance for the first half of last season. I think we absolutely should have been in on some of the deals for some of the top pitchers such as Corbin. I think we have the prospects to have us in any conversation for any trade that we would want to make, we just weren't willing to deal them.

I agree on Realmuto if they were insistent on Ozzie. But last I read they wanted Ian Anderson and some other pieces. The Phils are the favorite to get him now, are they going to offer an insane price? Doesn't look like it from what I've read. There are deals to be made, and even trades that could have been made. But for whatever reason, we were content to add Donaldson and then go cheap with McCann and Markakis who do not help us at all. They do not help us compete. That's the point. The rebuilding was supposed to be over, right? Now we are supposed to be competing. But instead, we went cheap. Maybe they will make some moves at the all star break, if we aren't too far behind in the race to have a chance to win. I just don't understand what AA is doing. We can't keep all of these prospects forever.

Last year we did as well as we have ever done in the past 10 years at stopping the run on defense, all the while switching from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base. As I understand it one of the primary benefits of the 3-4 defense is it allows you to get more athletes (speed) on the field. With the exception of Gooden, all of our down linemen will basically be new for us this year so my question for you is this, do you think we improve or regress in our ability to stop the run this year. Is continuity and improved talent and depth at linebacker enough to offset the turnover up front?
View attachment 193351
This is a really tough question, and allow me to interrupt the baseball discussion forum for a football-related post.

I think we see slight regression statistically. Part of the reason, I think, we saw the improvement we did last year was because we played teams that were more pass happy overall. We didn't play a bunch of spread teams, no, but WVU exposed our biggest weakness in Week 1, and that was our secondary depth and ability of our LBs to cover in the passing game. Teams passed more on us this year and didn't run as much. I think that'll change next year, though I think we'll be better at stopping the pass than this year. But we still don't have an elite pass rush, so that will be interesting to watch.

TLDR: I think teams will run the ball more against us this year, and I think the lack of experience up front will mean a slight regression, but nothing huge.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Yeah I think it is very similar to the regime that was in charge at TN for the last decade or more. Until Phil took over last year, we always went cheap. And we ended up with Dooley and Jones and cheap assistant coaches also and look where that got us. Suddenly Phil is spending money around here on football and we recruited one of the best classes in the country yesterday and we have one of the best coaching staffs, if not the best, in all of college football. The Braves need to do the same thing. I wish someone would buy them from Liberty Media if they're not willing to spend money. AA talked about money and us being able to do whatever we want, and, just like every year, that has proven to be all talk. Do we want to win or not? Maybe I should hope that MLB expands and Tennessee gets a team that I could root for who would actually spend money to get great players.

I'm convinced that if you have a corporate owner you aren't going to get the same level of ownership that an individual will give. Corporate cares about $$$ and $$$ only. Individuals sure they care about the $$$% but they also have that ego and they want the team they own to be champs so they can brag about it to the billionaire friends.

I am a Green Bay Packer fan (and shareholder) and while it's great I can say "we" and it be true, there is very little accountability to the fan base since we don't have an owner...

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Yesterday: Coach Chaney confesses that he has grown to appreciate the run. Coach Pruitt says he is not interested in whether his tight ends can catch the ball, but instead whether they can block. I see what is happening here.

Grew up in suburb ATL in the late 80's and early 90's.

Best and worst time to be a Braves fan. That rotation of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz was a sight to behold.

Great pitching with an average offense can only do so much especially in the playoffs. Won only 1 championship. It was frustrating to say the least. Just one more big time hitter and we would have won 2-3 more.

ATL needs to open up that damn checkbook or trade some prospects and get 1-2 more bats in that offense.

I think there were guys available. I think a guy like Brantley or Pollock could have been much better options than Markakis who is very unlikely to have a repeat of his top performance for the first half of last season. I think we absolutely should have been in on some of the deals for some of the top pitchers such as Corbin. I think we have the prospects to have us in any conversation for any trade that we would want to make, we just weren't willing to deal them.

I agree on Realmuto if they were insistent on Ozzie. But last I read they wanted Ian Anderson and some other pieces. The Phils are the favorite to get him now, are they going to offer an insane price? Doesn't look like it from what I've read. There are deals to be made, and even trades that could have been made. But for whatever reason, we were content to add Donaldson and then go cheap with McCann and Markakis who do not help us at all. They do not help us compete. That's the point. The rebuilding was supposed to be over, right? Now we are supposed to be competing. But instead, we went cheap. Maybe they will make some moves at the all star break, if we aren't too far behind in the race to have a chance to win. I just don't understand what AA is doing. We can't keep all of these prospects forever.

I do think we should have gone harder after a starting pitcher. But I'm not heartbroken with what we're left with. I wasn't super high on Corbin but he would have been a good addition.
The Phillies are about to give up their top prospect a pretty good catcher and likely their second best prospect (plus maybe more). I did read reports they wanted Albies. They definitely were asking for a Major League player in any deal. Realmuto is not a game changer. He's just good but not exponentially better.
Pollock is definitely not worth a four year deal with his injury history and at age 31. Brantley is a good one and I can't believe the Astros got him at two years (though they do pay a lot per). Seriously, Markakis won't have the same season as he did at the start but he will be just fine overall as an above average fielder, spelled by Carmago and a great mentor for the young guys.

I really look at how flexible we can be at the trade deadline. Might catch a really good deal and have al the money and pieces to get practically anything done.

Yeah but if you just cut and drop each word/phrase into place, it would sound like crap. He's obviously done some more trickeration to the audio to make it so smooth.

Even video editors have a little bit of sound manipulation, and one or two of those cuts are pretty rough. I didn't mean to downplay the effort. He did a great job.

View attachment 193351

I think they got some stout guys to help in this class, we also had good recruits last year.

I expect to see these guys in rotation.
Emerson
Gooden
Mincey
Harris
Bumphus
Butler

Grew up in suburb ATL in the late 80's and early 90's.

Best and worst time to be a Braves fan. That rotation of Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz was a sight to behold.

Great pitching with an average offense can only do so much especially in the playoffs. Won only 1 championship. It was frustrating to say the least. Just one more big time hitter and we would have won 2-3 more.

ATL needs to open up that damn checkbook or trade some prospects and get 1-2 more bats in that offense.
This

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
At least take that crap to the off topic thread in this forum.
giphy.gif

View attachment 193351
I think we stay about the same. I think the guys coming in are at least equal to the guys leaving.

I do think we should have gone harder after a starting pitcher. But I'm not heartbroken with what we're left with. I wasn't super high on Corbin but he would have been a good addition.
The Phillies are about to give up their top prospect a pretty good catcher and likely their second best prospect (plus maybe more). I did read reports they wanted Albies. They definitely were asking for a Major League player in any deal. Realmuto is not a game changer. He's just good but not exponentially better.
Pollock is definitely not worth a four year deal with his injury history and at age 31. Brantley is a good one and I can't believe the Astros got him at two years (though they do pay a lot per). Seriously, Markakis won't have the same season as he did at the start but he will be just fine overall as an above average fielder, spelled by Carmago and a great mentor for the young guys.

I really look at how flexible we can be at the trade deadline. Might catch a really good deal and have al the money and pieces to get practically anything done.
I hope you’re right in your last paragraph

Reactions: utkevdawg1
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back