Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we did as well as we have ever done in the past 10 years at stopping the run on defense, all the while switching from a 4-3 base to a 3-4 base. As I understand it one of the primary benefits of the 3-4 defense is it allows you to get more athletes (speed) on the field. With the exception of Gooden, all of our down linemen will basically be new for us this year so my question for you is this, do you think we improve or regress in our ability to stop the run this year. Is continuity and improved talent and depth at linebacker enough to offset the turnover up front?
View attachment 193351
It's my single worry with the defense. Gooden, Butler, Mincey and Emerson return, hopefully Emerson can make an impact this year. The JUCos coming in need to be able to contribute immediately, Williams and Middelton. Also, need to get Solomon eligible. I think Simmons is gonna be a clogger in the middle but not sure how quickly he'll be able to contribute.

The key to this working well are the JuCo guys being able to help immediately and getting Solomom qualified. If that happens, I think we'll be fine.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
This is why I am not a Marlins fan anymore. They are talking to TWO DIVISION RIVALS for a trade of the starting catcher because they are too cheap.
That's not their first rodeo. They've done stuff like this all the time. It's called making money and putting it in the bank and not into the product.

I'm so glad we held onto Elijah Simmons. I think hes my favorite recruit. Just looks mean and full of swagger.

Feel like he has the size to play right away. We will probably need a young DL like him to be much better than people expect to get this defense really going next year.
I like this guy too. He looks like an angry football player and I hope he brings a bad attitude this year.

Nobody says that adding Realmuto guarantees you into the series. But we need to fix our problems on offense. Realmuto and Donaldson is a huge upgrade over McCann/Flowers and Markakis. Not to mention, the Dodgers added Machado, one player, and where'd they go? Oh yeah, the World Series.
Machado didnt get them there and they arent tied to him for 10 years. Cmon.

Think Chaney can do more with less? I'll be pleasantly surprised, but his philosophy seems to be angling away from spread and more into power, where talent is absolutely needed to perform. When asked what his philosophy was he said to build around playmakers. He's seemed to go away from systems and is relying more on talent. Hopefully we can get enough for him to do what he wants.

I think Chaney was a good get for you guys because he's run his offense so many different ways over the years. I'm pretty sure, no matter what he says, that he'll design his offense to fit the players on hand. Good hire and will help your offense a lot IMO.

ugh. baseball. gawd.
tenor.gif

Machado didnt get them there and they arent tied to him for 10 years. Cmon.
All I'm saying is, we need major help offensively. Thus, we need to get some help there, like the Dodgers did, who helped them get to the series, yes.

This isn't rocket science. It's like arguing that intern Jones classes can beat Bama's. They can't. We need to add players.

I think we stay about the same. I think the guys coming in are at least equal to the guys leaving.
Minus experience. You are right though in that this class is an improvement on the players that are leaving. Hopefully, that will be the case going forward with all our incoming classes. Experience cannot be overstated though.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Welp fellas, it’s time for me to dive into golf season. My season begins in a little over a month and I’m focusing on the game now. Got a new driver in the bag and had my Scotty shipped off to be refinished. (I’ll post pics when I get it back.) Looking forward to a great season! See y’all around!

Nobody says that adding Realmuto guarantees you into the series. But we need to fix our problems on offense. Realmuto and Donaldson is a huge upgrade over McCann/Flowers and Markakis. Not to mention, the Dodgers added Machado, one player, and where'd they go? Oh yeah, the World Series.
They? Went BACK to the World Series and then what? Machado’s a bad example of a difference maker. That half azz attitude might’ve cost. My take is spending big to prove you’re serious doesn’t make you a serious contender. You need to have the framework of homegrown talent established first.

Welp fellas, it’s time for me to dive into golf season. My season begins in a little over a month and I’m focusing on the game now. Got a new driver in the bag and had my Scotty shipped off to be refinished. (I’ll post pics when I get it back.) Looking forward to a great season! See y’all around!

Did you send it back to Scotty Cameron or a third party? Had good luck with NorCal refinishing and customizing paint fill. Lot cheaper.

I think Chaney was a good get for you guys because he's run his offense so many different ways over the years. I'm pretty sure, no matter what he says, that he'll design his offense to fit the players on hand. Good hire and will help your offense a lot IMO.
I think Osovet pays dividends here also with that flexible mindset.

A player that’s a 3 time gold Glover winner in 5 years with a 3.4 WAR that is a career .290 hitter is below average? Lmaooooo wtf

Minus experience. You are right though in that this class is an improvement on the players that are leaving. Hopefully, that will be the case going forward with all our incoming classes. Experience cannot be overstated though.
Normally, I would agree with you on the experience, but having switched to a 3-4 and the guys last year having to adjust to a new system negates that some.

It's my single worry with the defense. Gooden, Butler, Mincey and Emerson return, hopefully Emerson can make an impact this year. The JUCos coming in need to be able to contribute immediately, Williams and Middelton. Also, need to get Solomon eligible. I think Simmons is gonna be a clogger in the middle but not sure how quickly he'll be able to contribute.

The key to this working well are the JuCo guys being able to help immediately and getting Solomom qualified. If that happens, I think we'll be fine.

you forgot Kingston Harris and Eric Crosby who probably will move back over to DL from OL - same as Emerson experiment.

Don't @me but I wonder if Butch would have been successful here if Fulmer was his AD?

No because Butch isn't humble enough to understand he isn't always the smartest person in the room. Pruitt on the other hand actually takes advantage of learning from mentors and putting it to use in his own way. Pruitt doesn't even take credit for Half of the stuff. You think butch would ever admit the 3rd and 4th string scrimmaging for last 20 minutes of practice was Fulmer idea and not his like Pruitt did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back