Bruce Feldman on Briles

I do think we need to lock someone down with early signing day just around the corner.

Oh, and just for tomorrow: GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY! (Although I do appreciate the Navy on this somber day Dec 7th).

Not getting my hopes up...this stubborn attitude with position coaches is the very reason Cut didn’t come home after Lane bolted. My goodness, how much different our story would’ve been if he could’ve just brought his dang coaches with him!

Never easy here in TN.
If we had hired Cutcliffe instead of Jones we'd have another NC by now. He has taken Duke - Duke - to the ACC championship game, and every year they are competitive, far, far more than we have been in a while.

This seems incredibly reasonable. Briles understands it's a team game. He wasn't successful because HE did it all. He was successful because he has an OL coach that complements him.

If you want to replicate Briles' success- give him the tools he needs, if that's another coach so be it.

Pruitt has to let his OC hire his guys. We all seen what happened when Butch did not let Shoop bring his guys. There is no reason for Pruitt keeping Friend to begin with. Cant believe he still has a job today. Pruitt might want to do whats best for Tennessee and not for his Friends.
I'm not going to disagree with the part about letting OC's hire their own guys, but the rest of it, I don't think so.
Friend is a very well-respected coach he just doesn't have anything to work with. This is the exact same stuff all of you said about Bob Shoop.
If they've been successful everywhere they've been until they go to a team with a serious talent issue, common sense tells you the problem is the talent, not the guy who's been successful.

Pruitt has to let his OC hire his guys. We all seen what happened when Butch did not let Shoop bring his guys. There is no reason for Pruitt keeping Friend to begin with. Cant believe he still has a job today. Pruitt might want to do whats best for Tennessee and not for his Friends.
There are reasons why ad folks sell the beans and finance folks count the beans! You need both to be successful so let each group be the best it can be. If moving coaches around is in the program’s best interest, so be it.

Reactions: VolForLife83
That's too bad. Wonder who we will be replacing Pruitt with in 2 years? Too loyal to his assistants reminds me of someone else we used to have but I forgot his name now.
Let's hope he does the right thing. I could see PF saying Pruitt needs to remain loyal, or I could see him saying something along the lines of him screwing up with Clawson

Good God Almighty! Will everyone stop and take a long breath!

Take a look back over the past 4 years of our OL play . . . Remember QD running for his life and getting hammered? Remember JD scrambling for his life? JG getting hammered as well as our RBs? Do you remember this? Our OL has been a shambles for YEARS!!

Let's also look at who CJP was recruiting up until the very end of the early signing period and NSD? JUCO and GT OLinemen!! I freaking wonder why . . . Our best OLineman was out Spring due to a medical issue - our second best OLineman was a back up center at Alabubba GT for Christ sake and we lost both of these guys during the season. The balance of OL on the team fall into some or all of the following categories: 1. Underdeveloped 2. Overrated 3. Undersized (ALL) 4. Lack of toughness.

Hell even Sam "By God" Pittman could not have fixed this dumpster fire in 9 months!!!

Lastly, I would bet a $100 that Will Friend has coached more damn OLineman than anyone on VOLNATION!!

Flame away!!

GBO

Bring who he wants move some people around.. end of discussion, it can be worked out. In before somebody tries to lecture me about only having a certain amount of coaches, I know and it can be worked out.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Lol seriously? No online coach in the country could do anymore with this group. Losing the two best to injury and having to move those guys around to fill holes created an impossible situation. And let’s admit it they aren’t the most talented group to start with.

Injuries were a problem as the season went on but they looked bad starting in game one. My issue with the OL was they were missing assignments more so than getting our athleted. We can have all 5* recruits on the line but it won’t matter if they don’t know who they are suppose to block. That is something that should have improved as the season went on but it got worse.

If the players don’t understand complex blocking schemes then it is on the coach to dumb them down. If JG is getting blown up on long developing pass plays then line some back up tackles in the TE position and have them help block.

I remember back in 2013 when butch was hired, and needed an OC, thinking "We should hire the OC from East Carolina, he is going to be a star one day." The guy had explosive offenses, had really stood out, and you just knew he was gonna be something.

Instead we hired Coach Bajakian, and Lincoln Riley is taking his number one offense to the Playoffs.

I'm not saying Briles is the next Riley, but I

get the same feeling about him that I did about Riley. He is gonna be a star so get him now.

Reactions: kamoshika

Take a look back over the past 4 years of our OL play . . . Remember QD running for his life and getting hammered? Remember JD scrambling for his life? JG getting hammered as well as our RBs? Do you remember this? Our OL has been a shambles for YEARS!!

Let's also look at who CJP was recruiting up until the very end of the early signing period and NSD? JUCO and GT OLinemen!! I freaking wonder why . . . Our best OLineman was out Spring due to a medical issue - our second best OLineman was a back up center at Alabubba GT for Christ sake and we lost both of these guys during the season. The balance of OL on the team fall into some or all of the following categories: 1. Underdeveloped 2. Overrated 3. Undersized (ALL) 4. Lack of toughness.

Hell even Sam "By God" Pittman could not have fixed this dumpster fire in 9 months!!!

Lastly, I would bet a $100 that Will Friend has coached more damn OLineman than anyone on VOLNATION!!

Flame away!!

GBO
DON"T EXPECT ANY COMMON SENSE

Reactions: BigDave

Flame away!!

GBO

No flame from me, just thought I'd tell you to stop and take a long breath after telling others to stop and take a long breath.

VN Store

Back