Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not; but I loved how he defended Tennessee - the program, his players, his coaches, and his boss!

Ozark- a show that is so inexplicably dark with so many contrived twists and turns, and another twist and turn that it does an entire 360's back to predictability. Great cast, great idea, great story. It's just too much, trying too hard, and honestly too slow. It's really too dark. And for that reason im out.

Back to recruiting.

If people would state it as an opinion, it wouldn't be as contentious. Too many state it as some kind of fact, which it is certainly not.

No hard feelings meant about it.

Just messing man I objectively agree with you. But were talking about football here. I think most people understand their opinions is all they are expressing and they don't really matter. Anybody who takes it more seriously than that needs to reevaluate things. But when you state that in a meaningless debate about who the best QB of all time is...it just sucks the fun out of it. lol

Reactions: WriterVol
Watching the '15 Oklahoma game.

That team should of won 12+ games in 15 or 16.... shame.

I don't understand the narrative of Butch Jones leaving the roster in ruins. He was clearly close, and he brought the talent needed. The coaching and play calling was conservative, but that's not new.

Wish we knew what happened to this team. From a fan perspective, something definitely happened between the title 9 lawsuit and Jalen Hurd getting decked prancing across the goal line @ Georgia.

Just hard to believe we went from there to this... [pours another glass]

We still have a top 20 team by composite talent on 247. Hopefully Pruitt can revive these guys. Wish I could find a Dobbs or Evan Berry or Barnett on our roster in this recruiting class...
It’s been discussed numerous times, but the big decision that started the decline was firing Lawson as the S&C coach, because the players thought he was too hard. With each passing day, we got more and more soft, and that leaves us where we are today...one of the softest teams to don the orange. If Butch runs his program and makes the decisions he felt was best and not let the players do it, he probably is still here and who knows what may have happened in 2016. Also, his micromanaging of his coordinators was detrimental, too, and was his weird practice schedule.

However, he’s gone, and Pruitt is our coach, so let’s see if he can get these guys playing tougher every week. Hopefully, it starts tomorrow. Let’s go!!!

Nickel
It appears Tennessee’s nickel set is going to have Baylen Buchanan sliding inside to star with freshmen Alontae Taylor and Bryce Thompson making the two cornerback spots. That combination played the best at Georgia, as the Vols didn't allow a play of 25 yards or more aside from the sack fumble, scoop and score.

Linebacker
At linebacker, the week off was good for Darin Kirkland, Jr. and Daniel Bituli. Bituli has been hampered a bit by a banged up shoulder and knee. Quart’e Sapp is also healthier and after looking like Tennessee's fastest linebacker at Georgia it will be interesting to see if Sapp gets any more reps this week — especially given Auburn's desire to try and stretch a defense horizontally.

Hall and Calbert
After the off week, Saturday could be a game where Chance Hall gets some run. The veteran has played just nine snaps total in the last three games. Also, K’Rojhn Calbert has worked some at right tackle this week during practice, including getting some work with the 1s.

Alexis Johnson
One of the better examples of that growing relationship/trust and a fresh start is senior Alexis Johnson. Coming into the season, Johnson had 14 total tackles his first two years on Rocky Top. Through five games this season, Johnson has 22 tackles. According to Pro Football Focus, 11 of those tackles have been either TFL's or tackles for 1 or 2 yard gains.

“I feel like I have waited my turn and now I'm just taking advantage of it,” Johnson said. “It's always frustrating when you aren't getting your turn. But it's fine, I'm getting it now. I'm good.”

Johnson is "good" thanks to his position coach Tracy Rocker, who the Georgia native clearly believes in.

“I can definitely see that my game has grown since he's gotten here,” Johnson said. “He's been a good mentor. He really gets after us. Off the field, he is a great guy. I really like him.

“It's just the little details like hand placement. Keeping my eyes in my gap. Just the little details that can keep you from being great.”
-VQ

It’s been discussed numerous times, but the big decision that started the decline was firing Lawson as the S&C coach, because the players thought he was too hard. With each passing day, we got more and more soft, and that leaves us where we are today...one of the softest teams to don the orange.

This is something that leaves me very optimistic about next year. Even for the holdovers. I think you give a lot of these soft players another summer in Fitz's program, and it'll pay dividends on the field.

But take my optimism with a grain of salt, because I'm a glass half full when it comes to my favorite team.

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
Ozark- a show that is so inexplicably dark with so many contrived twists and turns, and another twist and turn that it does an entire 360's back to predictability. Great cast, great idea, great story. It's just too much, trying too hard, and honestly too slow. It's really too dark. And for that reason im out.

Back to recruiting.
Admit it you laughed when you heard Sugarwood.

He built a pretty good roster that under achieved for two years with some NFL players on there.

Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Kelly, Malone, Barnett, Sutton, JRM, and Gaulden is a pretty damn good core. Is he a good or great coach...no. Things unraveled here and ended bad quickly but for two years he gave us a roster that could beat anyone except bama.

If i was a mid level P5 school like say NC state, Maryland, Kansas state etc. i would definitely give butch a call.
They got intern positions open? Look at the high turnover rate with his staff. Coaches talk. He probably would have a tough time fielding a staff.

Every now and again I search hashtags like #GBO or #T19 etc on twitter. In doing so, I’ve come across a lot of tweets from this kid who is a former teammate of Carvin at Whitehaven.

If you go to his twitter page you’ll find countless tweets of him professing this desire to play at UT.

Tweeted last week he was coming during our bye for a workout.

Tweeted this last night.

Likely a new walk on, but if he joins it’s more inroads at Whitehaven.

KC isnt that good. How can we utilize him more when he isnt the better qb and we are losing.
Look, we don't know oneway or the other. JG is more talented, but I think Pruitt wants to keep JG for next year, regardless if it costs us a game or two next this year. KC will probably get in due to injury in the next couple of weeks anyway. If we lose AU and USCe, no reason to play JG the rest of the year.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
So you take away the two 9 win seasons he had here because he and Brady hoke lost a combined 8 games. I know we all hate butch but don’t be so stubborn.
Botch is horrible, the idiot nearly destroyed the program on his way out, and no those two vastly underachieving and grossly mismanaged seasons don't mean jack squat to me.

Just had a bird fly into the house. 👀

That winged SOB took a beeline to my newborns room and flew right over his crib. Ah hayul no. After mama bear swooped into protect little dude, big daddy dealt with that thumbless punk and caught him with a fly-fishing net. Have I caught more birds than fish with that net? Maybe. But that’s not the question. He’s back outside. That was... exciting.

That’s enough Monday for me, I’m done.

I see this as a sign that the shadow man curse is broken. Bird flies into a newborn’s room at night in the home of a true VFL shall end the horrors suffered by all Volunteers. It was foretold when the curse began...8 years after the burning of the mattresses, a sign shall appear thusly. This signifies a new bright beginning for VFLs everywhere!

Botch is horrible, the idiot nearly destroyed the program on his way out, and no those two vastly underachieving and grossly mismanaged seasons don't mean jack squat to me.

His record and what he did here doesn’t add up to horrible. Dooley was worse, kiffin underachieved just as bad and hurt the program far worse than butch ever thought about.

Y'all kill me with your revisionist history. Butch was bad, but he was far from worse than Dooley. He was competitive, and won a lot of football games. Also, no coach at Tennessee has ever lost 8 games in a season. Dooley was 4-7, Butch was 4-6. The two 9 win seasons were the best football some of the younger fans have seen. Dooley just sucked dick. Why we are still talking about this is beyond me.

Saying Manning's "flaw" was he couldn't win big games, and then saying Brady is the GOAT because he can, is to forget, or outright dismiss, the fact that Manning was 3-1 against Brady in the AFC Championship Game, the BIGGEST game Manning and Brady could have possibly faced each other head to head, on the field. Again, for those in the back, the BIGGEST game they could play each other in, head to head, Manning was 3-1 against Brady.

But, he was 0-3 (not 0-4) against UF, so let's always talk about that. Knock yourselves out.
That's just spitting some truth right there.

Y'all kill me with your revisionist history. Butch was bad, but he was far from worse than Dooley. He was competitive, and won a lot of football games. Also, no coach at Tennessee has ever lost 8 games in a season. Dooley was 4-7, Butch was 4-6. The two 9 win seasons were the best football some of the younger fans have seen. Dooley just sucked dick. Why we are still talking about this is beyond me.
Dooley didn't take a intern job with our worst enemy and make roll tide videos. Too soon maybe?

butch is a g5 coach at best. that's all he's every proved he was worth.

he did a lot things right off the field, especially concering the academic side of things.

everything else as to developing a football program at this level he was not very good at. sure, he could recruit, but he couldn't/didn't retain enough, or develop enough, of the talent he brought here. his game management skills were sub par, to put it mildly. and his general philosophy was completely tone deaf to what expectations were, are, and will be at a program like this. and he had no idea how to communicate with fans or media.

with Dooley....i mean really...he was the guy that said "yes" when he got the call. there was no way that was ever going to work out, and really, it wasn't his fault. what was he, 8th on the list, at best???? of course he sucked. the ending to the Dooley experiment was pretty predictable.

Kiffing screwed us bad.

and at the end of the day, there's roughly 3-4 people that we have to thank for all this anyway. Hamilton, Hart, Haslam, Cheek....

Reactions: WriterVol
Just messing man I objectively agree with you. But were talking about football here. I think most people understand their opinions is all they are expressing and they don't really matter. Anybody who takes it more seriously than that needs to reevaluate things. But when you state that in a meaningless debate about who the best QB of all time is...it just sucks the fun out of it. lol

Yeah, I worry about being a killjoy sometimes. But I get a little tired of the pages and pages of discussing who is the goat. It's an inherently subjective topic that too many treat like it's some obvious, fact-based case. It's a popular topic because it's easy to get people riled up about it.

I get a little tired of the cocksure attitudes some of our illustrious posters have. But, hey, that's what message boards are for I guess. I'd feel better about it if I felt like some of them were at least pulling for the same team I am.

My world was once orange and white, but the last few years have turned it some kind of smokey gray. :D

Reactions: ODTVOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back