'16 TN LB Daniel Bituli (UT commit 7/18/15)

I saw a more recent game and he looked much better. The thing is the team got much better once Brothers took Bituli away from playing rb. The way their team is set up he has an easy task at MLB. They have #55 and Lawless that blow up the middle of opposing offenses and then all Bituli is free to run in and make the play if they haven't already. I agree with GFW though I really don't see him playing MLB for UT and will likely be a DE.

Dejuan thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Bituli is definitely an elite HS football player & I believe he will be a good football player for the Vols. But I don't know if Bituli's future at Tennessee will relate much with JRM's career/future. It is looking more and more like Bituli will be playing DE at UT. He played his senior HS season at 6-foot-3 & 230 pounds. He will most likely bulk up much bigger than that at UT and help on the DL. I believe JRM played at about 6-foot-0 & 190 pounds in HS & was recruited as a FS. He bulked up to about 225 pounds now and is a stud at LB, although he is considered undersized.

With all that being said, I don't think Bituli will play LB at UT & if he does I don't believe he will be ready to play in time to help with the departure of JRM. JMO.

We don't need him to help with the departure of JRM. That's why we have McDowell, Sapp, Bates, and A. Smith.

It's the Jimmy Johnson way when he was at Miami. Take fast physical safeties, add weight and make them LB's, take fast LB's, add weight and make them DE's, move DE's to DT's... It's a tried and true method, though with training at the high school level so improved, it's becoming less of a need to do this. UT was one of the best at it when the program was rolling, I'm glad to see us get back to it somewhat

JRM will be a hard one to replace, dude is a tackling machine. I also think Bituli is more of a maggitt type strongside defensive end, he is already at 230.

It's the Jimmy Johnson way when he was at Miami. Take fast physical safeties, add weight and make them LB's, take fast LB's, add weight and make them DE's, move DE's to DT's... It's a tried and true method, though with training at the high school level so improved, it's becoming less of a need to do this. UT was one of the best at it when the program was rolling, I'm glad to see us get back to it somewhat

TN was also one of the best at turning HS RB's into college LB's.

Bituli is definitely an elite HS football player & I believe he will be a good football player for the Vols. But I don't know if Bituli's future at Tennessee will relate much with JRM's career/future. It is looking more and more like Bituli will be playing DE at UT. He played his senior HS season at 6-foot-3 & 230 pounds. He will most likely bulk up much bigger than that at UT and help on the DL. I believe JRM played at about 6-foot-0 & 190 pounds in HS & was recruited as a FS. He bulked up to about 225 pounds now and is a stud at LB, although he is considered undersized.

With all that being said, I don't think Bituli will play LB at UT & if he does I don't believe he will be ready to play in time to help with the departure of JRM. JMO.

You never know until they are on campus. Nutritional programs can help them do what they or the staff wants in most cases. Look at Barnett. Everyone on this board kept claiming he would be a DT but he was determined to be a DE. Some kids can move well at their size.

I don't know many that expected this kid to fill in for JRM anyway. Cortez and Bates are next in line there. I figure this kid was for MLB/Strong side to provide depth behind either Kirkland or Austin Smith

You never know until they are on campus. Nutritional programs can help them do what they or the staff wants in most cases. Look at Barnett. Everyone on this board kept claiming he would be a DT but he was determined to be a DE. Some kids can move well at their size.

I don't know many that expected this kid to fill in for JRM anyway. Cortez and Bates are next in line there. I figure this kid was for MLB/Strong side to provide depth behind either Kirkland or Austin Smith

Good points. I was convinced that the staff was going to bulk Barnett up to 290ish and have him playing a 3 technique.

Shows how much I know.

Good points. I was convinced that the staff was going to bulk Barnett up to 290ish and have him playing a 3 technique.

Shows how much I know.

They probably could have and he would have been successful there too. He would succeed wherever you put him. Just a really good player.

Reactions: 1 person
Eddie Moore, Eric Westmoreland, Kevin Burnette, Kevin Simon to name a few

1ec12b790eccf79e9c30fa251cf6d2a0.jpg

Al Wilson

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Paul Naumoff, Tom Fisher, Jack Reynolds, Steve Kiner and Jackie Walker (among others) beg to differ. Wilson was good but the best ever to suit up... nawwwww.

That's a good topic for another thread, but Al was the heart, soul, and natural-born leader of the NC team and for that I won't question him being the best LB to ever suit up for the orange and white.

Yes, was a very good RB at Gaffney. Also the kid from NC that played a lot as a reserve LB and started maybe one year. Chris Ramseur?

has anyone mentioned Alvin Toles? He was a 1st round draft choice and even played RB/FB his first year at TN

Paul Naumoff, Tom Fisher, Jack Reynolds, Steve Kiner and Jackie Walker (among others) beg to differ. Wilson was good but the best ever to suit up... nawwwww.

Varying opinions. From my experience on the hill when Wilson was there, NO ONE did it like he did. Those other players were great but I never seen them practice or play a game.

Opposing teams were scared of Wilson. Type of player that could take over a game :good!:

VN Store

Back