'16 PF NC Grant Williams (UT commit 11/13/15)

I usually agree with you regarding recruiting and players talent correlating with rank. This time I think it's wrong. He has played well consistently played well against top level competition. I think he is ranked so low because of the tweener body. He can ball and has outplayed a bunch of high major recruits head to head.

I hope you are right.

I interpreted that as high level contributor at high major level, meaning he's at least a high major player, maybe I mistook it as I said. .

I took it to mean he can contribute at a High major level(meaning top25 type program)

If your interpretation is right then I agree with u

It's funny, there's certain posters still wanting to build up the previous coach so bad they're defending lesser rated recruits by the previous staff yet bashing the targets of the current staff. It's working both ways.

I don't know if this was meant for me, because I have nothing positive to say about the DT era. 1 year with him was 1 year too long.

I don't know if this was meant for me, because I have nothing positive to say about the DT era. 1 year with him was 1 year too long.

30 no doubt has been the most consistent with his opinion on recruiting regardless of the coach

30 no doubt has been the most consistent with his opinion on recruiting regardless of the coach

UT has the facilities to bring in very good, maybe great, college players. 4 star and 3 star with solid offer lists is what we need.

I know a lot of people hate Bruce, but at least he went after the top dogs. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't.

I interpreted that as high level contributor at high major level, meaning he's at least a high major player, maybe I mistook it as I said. As I've also said, it seems pretty clear that Williams is the one the board most disagree over, and I get that...call me a homer, but he was one of Barnes' first calls, and a guy this staff has now seen a ton of and want bad, to me I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and in 2 years we can look back. How many, myself included, bashed the Washpun commitment, yet many were saying how bad we could've used him last year.

Being able to contribute on last years team does not mean that Washpun is a guy we should've been recruiting. Cuonzo took him because he was an athletic guy and we needed bodies.

His legend has grown because he was a good player for a NCAA team.

Being able to contribute on last years team does not mean that Washpun is a guy we should've been recruiting. Cuonzo took him because he was an athletic guy and we needed bodies.

His legend has grown because he was a good player for a NCAA team.

Agree somewhat that the legend grew, but do I think Tennessee would have finished better than 15-15 had Washpun been on the roster? Yes I do.

UT has the facilities to bring in very good, maybe great, college players. 4 star and 3 star with solid offer lists is what we need.

I know a lot of people hate Bruce, but at least he went after the top dogs. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't.

Until a coach proves they're Gregg Marshall then they need to recruit better to Tennessee than Martin did, Tyndall did, or Tennessee has so far. I'm also not in denial though, you hear very routinely out of prospects mouths when mentioning Tennessee, "3 coaches in 3 year, "it's a mess", "it's not very stable over there it doesn't seem"...now we know more in detail the situation, but much like with Zo and the race stuff being thrown around, the image nationally of Tennessee basketball is not a great one.

The staff is trying to get with guys in 2017 who are much more highly regarded, and right now they're doing a good job of that. You look at who they're pursuing and it's multiple too 25, top 50, top 100 and a couple top 150 guys...so that's a start, now obviously you have to land them, but the fact they're using evaluation days on these guys is definitely a good sign.

Reactions: 2 people
Until a coach proves they're Gregg Marshall then they need to recruit better to Tennessee than Martin did, Tyndall did, or Tennessee has so far. I'm also not in denial though, you hear very routinely out of prospects mouths when mentioning Tennessee, "3 coaches in 3 year, "it's a mess", "it's not very stable over there it doesn't seem"...now we know more in detail the situation, but much like with Zo and the race stuff being thrown around, the image nationally of Tennessee basketball is not a great one.

The staff is trying to get with guys in 2017 who are much more highly regarded, and right now they're doing a good job of that. You look at who they're pursuing and it's multiple too 25, top 50, top 100 and a couple top 150 guys...so that's a start, now obviously you have to land them, but the fact they're using evaluation days on these guys is definitely a good sign.

Good info. Thanks

This is old but things like this and the AAU season tell me he can play at a high level. He is closer to 6'5 though.
Providence Day’s Grant Williams proving himself against top competition | The Charlotte Observer

In the first game of the season, he scored 18 points in a 67-60 loss to Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, which is nationally ranked and has the No. 16 senior recruit in the country in center Thomas Bryant. Bryant had 15 points.

“He was going up against Thomas Bryant … he went head-to-head against him and probably outplayed him,” said Rick Lewis, who runs Phenom Hoop Report and saw the game Nov. 14 at the Phenom Hoops Showcase. “He competes, he has fun and he’s just fun to watch. And you just don’t see that very often.”

Williams scored 23 points in a 60-58 loss to High Point Wesleyan Christian, another nationally ranked team, and forward Harry Giles, the No. 3 junior in the country. Giles had 21.

Williams, who is young for his grade, will turn 16 Sunday. He relishes the opportunity to play against top competition.

“My favorite type of game is playing against somebody that I’ll … go back and forth with,” he said. “I would love to play against a guy like Harry or Thomas every night, but you know that’s not possible. So it’s exciting when you get to play guys like that every once in a while.”

While he’s happy with how he played, Williams is not happy about the way the games ended. Providence Day had the lead in the final minutes of both games before losing.

“It still doesn’t matter about my stats because we lost,” Williams said. “If I had a 40-point game and won, then I would be happy, but even if that type of game comes while losing, it’s still a loss.”

Read more here: Providence Day’s Grant Williams proving himself against top competition | The Charlotte Observer

Reactions: 1 person
If he is able to go an Ivy League school, then he should. Nobody should pass up that opportunity

lol

I'll take a degree from State U instead of going up there, getting the same degree, and then graduating with 100k in debt.

This is old but things like this and the AAU season tell me he can play at a high level. He is closer to 6'5 though.
Providence Day’s Grant Williams proving himself against top competition | The Charlotte Observer

In the first game of the season, he scored 18 points in a 67-60 loss to Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, which is nationally ranked and has the No. 16 senior recruit in the country in center Thomas Bryant. Bryant had 15 points.

“He was going up against Thomas Bryant … he went head-to-head against him and probably outplayed him,” said Rick Lewis, who runs Phenom Hoop Report and saw the game Nov. 14 at the Phenom Hoops Showcase. “He competes, he has fun and he’s just fun to watch. And you just don’t see that very often.”

Williams scored 23 points in a 60-58 loss to High Point Wesleyan Christian, another nationally ranked team, and forward Harry Giles, the No. 3 junior in the country. Giles had 21.

Williams, who is young for his grade, will turn 16 Sunday. He relishes the opportunity to play against top competition.

“My favorite type of game is playing against somebody that I’ll … go back and forth with,” he said. “I would love to play against a guy like Harry or Thomas every night, but you know that’s not possible. So it’s exciting when you get to play guys like that every once in a while.”

While he’s happy with how he played, Williams is not happy about the way the games ended. Providence Day had the lead in the final minutes of both games before losing.

“It still doesn’t matter about my stats because we lost,” Williams said. “If I had a 40-point game and won, then I would be happy, but even if that type of game comes while losing, it’s still a loss.”

Read more here: Providence Day’s Grant Williams proving himself against top competition | The Charlotte Observer

If he likes going against top competition then Ivy League may not be move for him. Just like its not guaranteed he will go to the NBA if he is at a P5 school, its not guaranteed he will have a six figure income career after Ivy League.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree somewhat that the legend grew, but do I think Tennessee would have finished better than 15-15 had Washpun been on the roster? Yes I do.

That's like saying Derek Reese helped us win games ........did he yes but he still never should have been recruited here.....I never understood the washpun hype.

Reactions: 2 people
That's like saying Derek Reese helped us win games ........did he yes but he still never should have been recruited here.....I never understood the washpun hype.
Derek Reese did help us win games.. We specifically would have lost to Arkansas last year without Reese.. This isnt even the thread for it.

Derek Reese did help us win games.. We specifically would have lost to Arkansas last year without Reese.. This isnt even the thread for it.

It's nothing against Derek Reese or meant personally to you.....Derek Reese and Washpun is examples of two guys that shouldn't have been recruited if we want to get to the level we all want to be....it looks RB is recruiting that same kind of athlete right now.

Reactions: 3 people

Don't think it's the same at all, replace Reese with another below average player and I think our record is similar. Replace Reese with Washpun and I think we are a better team.

VN Store

Back