'15 TN DE Kyle Phillips (UT commit 1/3/15)

Was a pretty dang good LB prior to the injuries in 2012 /2013.

His previous LB experience was under Dooley...I don't remember "pretty dang good" being thrown around very much where the defense was concerned. Not even when Wilcox was coordinating. Maggitt brought it every play but was a step slow in coverage. We had a two year sample size at LB to compare...he's a great DE.

Maggitt is a great DE...average linebacker...see Leonard Little.

IMO he is good at both full time but Elite as a hybrid. He made several plays as a stand up linebacker last year. He isn't a full time DE guy and not full Lb. it's why the position is there for guys like him. He can be a DE in pass situations and a Lb vs run

IMO he is good at both full time but Elite as a hybrid. He made several plays as a stand up linebacker last year. He isn't a full time DE guy and not full Lb. it's why the position is there for guys like him. He can be a DE in pass situations and a Lb vs run

He will make a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL

Reactions: 2 people
His previous LB experience was under Dooley...I don't remember "pretty dang good" being thrown around very much where the defense was concerned. Not even when Wilcox was coordinating. Maggitt brought it every play but was a step slow in coverage. We had a two year sample size at LB to compare...he's a great DE.

Walkenvol's definition of a pretty dang good LB....
- SEC all-freshman team LB
- 3rd team freshman all-American
- 56 tackles, recorded fourth-most for a true freshman in UT history ahead of Reggie White
- Started strong as a soph with 30 tackles with two sacks and team-high tying 5.0 TFLs while battling turf toe and then suffered season ending knee injury.

Maybe my bar for "pretty dang good" is lower than yours, but I'd be tickled pink if Kirkland could reproduce those number this season.

Reactions: 6 people
Phillips will be nearly impossible to keep off the field this season. I figured he'd come in and easily take over the DE spot opposite Barnett when they are in the base 4-3.

Reactions: 5 people
Feels. Barnett(hopefully) Tuttle McKenzie Phillps as a front 4 in 2017 would be the best in the country and the best in TN history.

All of those guys on the same line as uppersclassmen would be an amazing sight, but I think it's a pretty good bet Barnett is in the NFL for the 2017 season.

Reactions: 4 people
Maggitt will slide back to LB in 4-3. We just mostly run nickel

Wickman and Nashvegas31 - is this your desire/opinion or have your heard/read something to this effect? It certainly makes a lot of sense on paper IMHO, TIFWIW, JMO, AARP, ETC

Walkenvol's definition of a pretty dang good LB....
- SEC all-freshman team LB
- 3rd team freshman all-American
- 56 tackles, recorded fourth-most for a true freshman in UT history ahead of Reggie White
- Started strong as a soph with 30 tackles with two sacks and team-high tying 5.0 TFLs while battling turf toe and then suffered season ending knee injury.

Maybe my bar for "pretty dang good" is lower than yours, but I'd be tickled pink if Kirkland could reproduce those number this season.

Didn't play MLB...so I hope Kirkland plays "pretty dang good" at MLB and we let Maggitt continue DOMINATING at DE.

Wickman and Nashvegas31 - is this your desire/opinion or have your heard/read something to this effect? It certainly makes a lot of sense on paper IMHO, TIFWIW, JMO, AARP, ETC

This is what VQ/247/scout have said. It certainly makes sense to slide Maggitt back and put Phillips out there to maximize the talent on the field

If you want to read a good article about DL these days, the latest SI has a good story on the depth that the Rams have built using wave after wave of fresh bodies against their opponents, multiple 1st round picks all as DTs and DEs and some of them don't start.

I think UT's DL has enough depth this year to do similar at the college level.

Also a very good Antonio Brown story in the same issue, references to Coach Z, Butch, and even Coach Lawson

That's damn near unblockable.

6E7Xx0A.gif

Reactions: 8 people
This is what VQ/247/scout have said. It certainly makes sense to slide Maggitt back and put Phillips out there to maximize the talent on the field

Yep jancek said it too in an interview. He said he thought about making Maggit full time DE but he is too good at Lb in base

Maggitt was a true freshman when Wilcox was DC. And, as someone said, he had a pretty solid year as a true freshman.

Reactions: 1 person
Maggitt was a true freshman when Wilcox was DC. And, as someone said, he had a pretty solid year as a true freshman.

Veering away from original argument...never said Maggitt was or isn't good...I've been here! Just arguing the notion that taking him away from DE where he EXCELLED last year and putting him at linebacker is a bad idea. If it's a special rush package where Phillips is in? On board with that but no extended time. Maggitt is GOOD at whatever he does...he's great at DE. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Veering away from original argument...never said Maggitt was or isn't good...I've been here! Just arguing the notion that taking him away from DE where he EXCELLED last year and putting him at linebacker is a bad idea. If it's a special rush package where Phillips is in? On board with that but no extended time. Maggitt is GOOD at whatever he does...he's great at DE. JMO

I agree with this. Having another DE that we can rotate in makes more sense to me. If Phillips is as good as they say....we'll always have a fresh DE in the line up. Don't need to move Maggitt. It is nice to have more options for using him though. I like the four DE package I've seen talked about too.

VN Store

Back