'15 TN DE Kyle Phillips (UT commit 1/3/15)

For you younger guys, enjoy this. The potential of a DL of Barnett, McKenzie, Tuttle, and Phillips is special. Like, maybe once in 20 years type special.

I grew up introduced to Tennessee football in the mid-late 80s, and over the following 20 years, it felt like it almost became my birthright to see us win 10 games or more. It got to a point where 10-2 was disappointing. I took for granted some truly special football and football players because of those expectations, so the last 10 years have been especially difficult in comparison. However, those rough times provided some perspective that wouldn't have been revealed otherwise.

This stuff is fun again, and that is completely on the shoulders of Butch Jones and this staff. The excitement resonating from this program is at levels experienced in my youth, and I won't be taking it for granted again. Lesson learned. No program is invincible.

Enjoy this DL, this team, and Go Vols!

Like the best every.:rock: We are DL U.:)

Reactions: 1 person
IT'S GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!

I to took the 10 wins for grated. Not now, not ever again after the dools drools years. Looking forward to the Dline play.

Feels good to have all this defensive line talent. We appear to have four guys right now that will be hard to handle one on one. You start throwing in backups that have a motor like Phillips and its going to be a fun year.

For you younger guys, enjoy this. The potential of a DL of Barnett, McKenzie, Tuttle, and Phillips is special. Like, maybe once in 20 years type special.

I grew up introduced to Tennessee football in the mid-late 80s, and over the following 20 years, it felt like it almost became my birthright to see us win 10 games or more. It got to a point where 10-2 was disappointing. I took for granted some truly special football and football players because of those expectations, so the last 10 years have been especially difficult in comparison. However, those rough times provided some perspective that wouldn't have been revealed otherwise.

This stuff is fun again, and that is completely on the shoulders of Butch Jones and this staff. The excitement resonating from this program is at levels experienced in my youth, and I won't be taking it for granted again. Lesson learned. No program is invincible.

Never take anything for granted...great post, man. Weird thing happening with me too....time is damn flying. I am concentrating on living in the MOMENT! Trying to savor it all. Got my Oklahoma tickets, got my Georgia tickets. I deer hunt so I will miss late October games on...gotta be in the woods with my Pops and crew. I don't take hunting with my Daddy for granted, either. Getting late in the game, if you know what I mean. My favorite seasons of the year , football and deer.

Reactions: 6 people

Same here man...I love it!!! :salute:

Never take anything for granted...great post, man. Weird thing happening with me too....time is damn flying. I am concentrating on living in the MOMENT! Trying to savor it all. Got my Oklahoma tickets, got my Georgia tickets. I deer hunt so I will miss late October games on...gotta be in the woods with my Pops and crew. I don't take hunting with my Daddy for granted, either. Getting late in the game, if you know what I mean. My favorite seasons of the year , football and deer.

10 POINT BUCKS and TENNESSEE AZZ KICKING ON SATURDAYS, oh oh those days are coming again.:clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
Dang, Kyle already looks like a beast on the practice field. Hard to believe he's only 18

Hard to believe he only TURNED 18. His birthday is in May. He might have the highest ceiling of any of our recruits. Given his age and how much more developed his body could get. Its gonna be amazing to see how much bigger and stronger he gets next season after having a years worth of off-season weight turning in the program. Just look how much Derek Barnett changed his body over the summer. And I believe Kyle is in better shape right now than Derek was as a true freshmen.

Lotta special talents on this team now.

Hard to believe he only TURNED 18. His birthday is in May. He might have the highest ceiling of any of our recruits. Given his age and how much more developed his body could get. Its gonna be amazing to see how much bigger and stronger he gets next season after having a years worth of off-season weight turning in the program. Just look how much Derek Barnett changed his body over the summer. And I believe Kyle is in better shape right now than Derek was as a true freshmen.

Lotta special talents on this team now.

Think Butcher will ever see the field? :)

Think Butcher will ever see the field? :)

In all honesty, I could see him being a RS sophomore before he gets a lot of meaningful snaps. Especially if Lewis and Vereen stick around and stay healthy.

Edit: there's nothing wrong with that either. It will be nice to not have to rely on youth for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 3 people
It will probably be a year or two until he sees meaningful snaps, but that is how it should be unless someone is just a ridiculous talent -- See Phillips, McKenzie, Tuttle, etc.

Exactly. We have to get used to 4 stars getting a chance to develop...way it should be

Reactions: 2 people
I know #56 will be a force at DE, but with this guy coming into his own according to practice, does this free 56 up to pair with JRM as our two best LBs in a lot of crunch time situations? At least until we really have another guy step up and shine, as in Kirkland or Bates with a few games under his belt

I know #56 will be a force at DE, but with this guy coming into his own according to practice, does this free 56 up to pair with JRM as our two best LBs in a lot of crunch time situations? At least until we really have another guy step up and shine, as in Kirkland or Bates with a few games under his belt

Maggitt is a great DE...average linebacker...see Leonard Little.

VN Store

Back