'15 TN DE Kyle Phillips (UT commit 1/3/15)

Maggitt is a great DE...average linebacker...see Leonard Little.

So is he "GOOD" or "AVERAGE" at LB as it appears your opinion may be changing?

Little was always a DE, not an all-SEC Freshman LB who then switched over to DE. Chavis tried to maximize his talent by moving Little, but Little didn't have the background experience of Maggitt. Maggitt played some MLB last season after AJ went out.

MY opinion has been since he was a freshman Maggitt has been the most explosive athlete on the VOL defense. I believe IF HEALTHY, he can excel at either LB or DE....where ever he's most needed. For his sake I hope its at LB as I can't think of many NFL DE Maggitt's size. If you recall, he entered UT under 200 lbs and has packed on muscle mass while there. He doesn't really have that big of a frame.

Last edited:

Little was always a DE, not an all-SEC Freshman LB who then switched over to DE. Chavis tried to maximize his talent by moving Little, but Little didn't have the background experience of Maggitt. Maggitt played some MLB last season after AJ went out.

MY opinion has been since he was a freshman Maggitt has been the most explosive athlete on the VOL defense. I believe IF HEALTHY, he can excel at either LB or DE....where ever he's most needed. For his sake I hope its at LB as I can't think of many NFL DE Maggitt's size. If you recall, he entered UT under 200 lbs and has packed on muscle mass in while there. He doesn't really have that big of a frame.

He's a 2 down LB now.

MY opinion has been since he was a freshman Maggitt has been the most explosive athlete on the VOL defense. I believe IF HEALTHY, he can excel at either LB or DE....where ever he's most needed. For his sake I hope its at LB as I can't think of many NFL DE Maggitt's size. If you recall, he entered UT under 200 lbs and has packed on muscle mass while there. He doesn't really have that big of a frame.

Leonard Little played at LB while at TN in addition to DE.

I hate to be a poor communicator...where in my post did I indicate Little didn't play LB his final season at UT?

Ah, got it now. I misread your part about Little and got Maggit and Little mixed up. I will say this, I believe Maggit can excel at either position, but he's got a few pounds on Little when he played at UT.

Both, IMO are best suited for a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Both, IMO are best suited for a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

This. Maggitt is best suited for 3-4 OLB who can rush the QB on 3rd downs close to the line. Khalil Mack, Justin Houston, Von Miller are all similarly sized, and play the same brand of football.

Veering away from original argument...never said Maggitt was or isn't good...I've been here! Just arguing the notion that taking him away from DE where he EXCELLED last year and putting him at linebacker is a bad idea. If it's a special rush package where Phillips is in? On board with that but no extended time. Maggitt is GOOD at whatever he does...he's great at DE. JMO

He excelled at DE in pass rush situations. He also made some nice plays as a Lb in base. In obvious run situations you don't want him as a DE you want him at LB.

I said he's GOOD at everything he does, therefore GOOD at LB would be AVERAGE...for him. :)

So he must have been awesome at MLB, because I don't remember his presence there. :huh: He's 256-260 CURRENTLY...There are plenty of DEs in that range. And an outside LINEBACKER in the 3-4 is not the same as a 4-3 linebacker...he's a fit there. We don't play a 3-4 so I just want him where he can inflict damage...at DE. A few plays here and there in certain packages, where you ask him to cover a TE or sit in a passing zone? Fine...but it's a waste and not his strong skill set...long term. Obviously JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He excelled at DE in pass rush situations. He also made some nice plays as a Lb in base. In obvious run situations you don't want him as a DE you want him at LB.

I remember him doing quite well in running situations...at DE. :). If Jancek utilizes him at LB, I won't start a thread or anything...we're just talking preferences people. :hi:

I'd have to put on a disguise...they're getting tired of police reports. :pinch: And isn't this guy Leonard Little? aka Certain Dismemberment for me?

Alas poor butchna, we knew ye well....

Epithet on tombstone:

VFL until a Little incident claimed him

:)
Just remember VFL on VFL violence is no bueno.

Reactions: 2 people
Alas poor butchna, we knew ye well....

Epithet on tombstone:

VFL until a Little incident claimed him

:)
Just remember VFL on VFL violence is no bueno.

*Edited for content

Little was a beast as an end.

This guy here knows what's up...

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

VN Store

Back