Y’all go ahead and be miserable

I did enjoy UTSA much more than AP and FU.

But, I can't say I much enjoy telling my Bama and UGA friends how much fun I had watching VOLS beat up UTSA for 3 QTRs. Or that we got by AP. Neither am I happy to live off a 2022 beating of Saban. It's not good enough for me.

There's a lot not right with this team for multiple reasons. We come here as family to discuss and cuss and at times that leads to frustration and negativity.

That's life as a VOLS fan.
GA just gave up 21 to UAB. They are not happy with what they have seen this season.

As frustrating as it is, I think the best advice for fans is to be greatful that our program is building, accept that this is not a perfect team with perfect coaching and mistakes will be made (these are kids after all). It's ok to vent; just let it out and move on. Take the good and the bad and enjoy good competitive play for what it is. Really not worth letting it ruin your attitude, affect your friends/family, etc. Remember, lots of other SEC teams are struggling this season also. I remember in the 80's and 90's when SEC was a very tough conference and if UT won by a TD/FG, it was a big deal. I see SEC becoming like that again.

Hey! It's football season and we all should be happy about that.....dang it!

You probably couldn’t understand it after the AP game either,

Until the UF game, then you had epiphany
I was among the miserable after the AP game, yesterday was different, we came out and overwhelmed a decent team. The next few weeks will be a challenge let's enjoy this win for a little while.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I did enjoy UTSA much more than AP and FU.

But, I can't say I much enjoy telling my Bama and UGA friends how much fun I had watching VOLS beat up UTSA for 3 QTRs. Or that we got by AP. Neither am I happy to live off a 2022 beating of Saban. It's not good enough for me.

There's a lot not right with this team for multiple reasons. We come here as family to discuss and cuss and at times that leads to frustration and negativity.

That's life as a VOLS fan.
That's what you get for having Bama and UGA friends.

We just aren't as good as I, and many others, expected us to be. OL struggles with Milton's regression in tight situations, as well as continued secondary struggles, is frustrating to watch. Last year's team would be the best in a down SEC this year.

We are in good hands with Heupel, but we are still a year or two away (OL next year will be suspect) from being elite.

That’s because we won.

Had we lost, you and the others would be throwing a fit right now.
Well then, bite your tongue on the weeks you don't care about.
Good grief. I don't mean every single Vol fan literally does not care about these games. I was getting ready for my daughter's party and was watching the 1st half on my phone.
I'm saying it's the university of Tenn and we are so much more interested in winning SEC games or not getting embarrassed by bad rivals that the games against non-P5 pales in comparison so much and we're not excitedly going into work talking about the win against FCS schools.
And I can't believe I actually have to explain that to someone.

Reactions: Hbg
My negativity is quite simple. I thought they were playing vanilla, yesterday confirmed it. They are because it appears that that is all they got. Plus, this team is PLAYING TOO SOFT everywhere with a few individual exceptions. NO LAYING it on the LINE.
This is Charmin soft football.

Reactions: Hbg and valoisvol
I am not miserable I am just puzzled. I do not see Milton making the passes that I feel most quality SEC QB's make. Have you seen Joe make a slant across the middle? or a the TE down the seam? or a 15 yd out pattern? That is what I expected to see Heupel have Milton work on in this game and it did not happen. So even though I am happy for the win I am frustrated with the lack of growth I see in the play calls and passing game. It is either throw the WR screen or go 60+ on a pass play and hope the WR can make a play.
The TD was a seem pass I believe in the second half

Reactions: voldurham
I am not miserable I am just puzzled. I do not see Milton making the passes that I feel most quality SEC QB's make. Have you seen Joe make a slant across the middle? or a the TE down the seam? or a 15 yd out pattern? That is what I expected to see Heupel have Milton work on in this game and it did not happen. So even though I am happy for the win I am frustrated with the lack of growth I see in the play calls and passing game. It is either throw the WR screen or go 60+ on a pass play and hope the WR can make a play.
The 18-yard TD pass to K Webb doesn't fit into your narrative. You must have been on a Beer Run when that happened.

Here’s what I think:

Obviously this team isn’t as good as we thought they’d be but on the other hand, we’ve had historically worse teams than this one.

We’re 3-1, ranked #23 in the country, we’ve shown what this team is capable of doing.

There’s a lot of improvement to be made overall but the season isn’t over. There’s plenty of time for us to get back on track.

A reasonable take. I admit that the Florida loss really bothers me because I had really hoped we had left behind that mental block - and I still maintain that there was no reason to lay down and die like that, just like we have done all too frequently in the past 20+ years.

However, this program does not appear to be a crap-stain of an organization any longer. I -like many others - got our hopes a bit high after last season.

This year’s Tennessee Team isn’t as good as I’d hoped. But there is reason for optimism, not just for the future - but for the rest of this season too.

There are still some significant issues that this coaching staff and players need to fix. Big ones. However, this isn’t the era of Dooley, Jones, or Pruitt any more. We should take some comfort in that realization.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
GA just gave up 21 to UAB. They are not happy with what they have seen this season.
GA did not look exceptional in the UAB game. As a fan I wouldn't be happy.

There are many teams looking much sharper over greater competition.

Only other teams can get better over the season, not us.

-VN
I'm of the thinking that by the end of 3 games (one being an SEC opponent) you pretty much know how the season is going to play out.

One factor that could impact team performance is return of key players like a Mays.

Im sure there are teams out there that are examples to prove me wrong. Fire away. Im teachable.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
While I go ahead and enjoy a victory. I’m continually amazed at the negativity
There was a lot not to like. Milton went cold and missed some really easy throws that would have inspired confidence.

The D's performance after the half was very disappointing.

But there was some progress. The OL protected fairly well. Penalties were better. UTSA has a decent front and had not allowed an opponent over 4 ypc previously. UT averaged over 9 ypc.

Milton has to hit those throws for UT to be successful in the SEC. Banks has to do a better job scheming opponents up.

This offense doesn’t run a single one of those patterns that you just mentioned….so no, I haven’t seen him make those passes

Reactions: volfan102455
I'm of the thinking that by the end of 3 games (one being an SEC opponent) you pretty much know how the season is going to play out.

One factor that could impact team performance is return of key players like a Mays.

Im sure there are teams out there that are examples to prove me wrong. Fire away. Im teachable.
Thankfully... that thinking is wrong.

UT is developing some guys that will get better. The LB group misses Pili. Pili might have been a big difference maker in the UF game. But last night the Vols had Telander, Carter, Herring, and Perry flying around making plays. There were mistakes to clean up... but those guys will be better this week than last. It was really encouraging to see Webb and Nimrod getting run at WR. Those guys have talent if Milton can calm down and hit them.

For that matter, Milton can still settle down and play closer to the level of his talent.

I doubt many are miserable and will support this program no matter what. But 4 games into the season I think most fans think this team isn't as nearly good as they thought they would be coming into the year. We still have alot of areas to improve upon and next week's game against South Carolina at home is pivotal to the morale of the fanbase. If we start out 0-2 in the SEC, the thought of last year's success being a fluke will emerge. Win next week and the enthusiasm with a bye week prior to A&M will build. At 3-1, I personally think there are only 2 other games on the schedule that are high probability wins. The other 6, home vs South Carolina, home vs A&M, at Alabama, at Kentucky, home vs Georgia and at Missouri we can lose easily with the level of play we have demonstrated thus far. Those concerns can be erased quite a bit if we beat South Carolina.

Offensively, I tend to trust our rushing attack but we need to show more ability to exploit the middle of the field throwing the ball. Our 3rd down efficiency has been dreadful against less than stellar defenses. WRs and OL have both been disappointing. Defensively, I think our DL has been okay, LBs/Star questionable and continue to have serious doubts in secondary. Safeties are slow, CB can't cover and neither can tackle. If we don't get home on Rattler with constant pressure, he is going to put 40+ pts on us and I don't think our inconsistent offense will be able to keep up. We have home field advantage and enough talent to beat the Gamecocks, who themselves lack a rushing attack, and have an average OL and defense themselves but they have a guy at QB and a WR who will be the best 2 players on the field next week and that may be all the difference they need. Where I sit, it is a toss-up. Win and momentum for the rest of the year continues. Lose and the direction of the program will legitimately be questioned.

Reactions: Alto1
I think fans are starting to realize that this isn't a very good team. We have a poor OL. We don't have difference makers at WR. Our secondary is flat out a liability. Milton has started to revert to overthrow Joe status. Our tackling, while better overall, was dismal in that 3rd quarter. Injuries have started to mount and while we have some depth, it's very young and not quite ready. Our schedule has been just awful outside of one average SEC opponent(UF) which we lost. We all watched the games and our future opponents yesterday. We've made comparisons. It's not a comforting thought. We have 2 games that should be guaranteed wins. UConn and Vandy. Outside of that, it's a bit scary. Fans don't have faith in this years team. There's simply no part of the game that you can consider a strength outside of special teams and maybe the running game. Tough road coming in league play.
We aren't last year good. Looks like defense wins the sec this year. So bama and GA. GA prolly wins that match up. All teams could lose a game they shouldn't this year. Everyone is flawed empigh they could lose a game they shouldn't.

VN Store

Back