With pig more than likely returning, how good is our wr core

With pig more than likely coming back, and kameel Jackson coming in as a walk on, I know that besides North and pig they haven't even played a down yet but just on ability alone is this the best wr core ut has ever had? I'm asking some of our older volnation members.

there is no way to make that comparison until they finish. you are asking that we compare players that finished playing college level (different abilities) to high school or JC players. Not close to being able to compare.

don't count on Pig being back.. I know the chatter out there but it is a long shot at best

I think with our receivers we would do good to win a 7 on 7 flag football tournament. It's our Oline and DINE depth that is going to hurt this team this year unless they grow up in a hurry. Going to be fun to watch for sure

Reactions: 1 person
Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Greg Amsler (outta the backfield obviously) and Thomas Woods made up the '89 team. Can't imagine this year's class will top that.

Prob my favorite UT team ever to watch, with one obvious exception. The talent on the offensive side was amazing.

With pig more than likely coming back, and kameel Jackson coming in as a walk on, I know that besides North and pig they haven't even played a down yet but just on ability alone is this the best wr core ut has ever had? I'm asking some of our older volnation members.

Kameel Jackson is still coming? What happened there? He was suppose to be an EE then de committed didn't or what?

I think with our receivers we would do good to win a 7 on 7 flag football tournament. It's our Oline and DINE depth that is going to hurt this team this year unless they grow up in a hurry. Going to be fun to watch for sure

It's (flag)football time in Tennessee!!!!!

I'm expecting great things from our WRs this year. While VP and Malone have shown flashes of greatness, I'm really excited about North with a year of experience under his belt.

Hopefully, Pig can come back and improve over the summer, too. Their experience will be huge for our offense.

Kameel Jackson is still coming? What happened there? He was suppose to be an EE then de committed didn't or what?

Looks like he is. Swain has mentioned it, and Jackson's twitter says hes coming to UT at the end of this month. Im pretty sure his offer was pulled when he quit his JUCO team. Also needed to work on his grades.

Per Rivals...
WR Corps:
North #2 (#37 Overall) 6.0 4*
Malone #4 (#27 Overall) 6.1 5*
Pearson #2 JUCO (#3 JUCO Overall) 6.0 4*
Pig #47 (Not in 250) 5.8 4*
Croom #41 (#246 Overall) 5.8 4*
Jenkins #55 (Not in 250) 5.7 3*
Wharton #52 (Not in 250) 5.8 4*
Johnson (Not Ranked) 5.5 3* (HS)
Smith (Not Ranked) 5.5 3*
Carter N/A
Jackson #34 (Not in 250) 5.8 4* (HS)
Bowles #19 (#130 Overall) 5.8 4*
Blanc (Not Ranked) 5.4 2*
Jaye Rochell (Walk on) N/A

Thats our entire WR roster
5* - 1
4* - 7
3* - 3
2* - 1
N/A - 2

Reactions: 2 people
Our WR corps is shaping up nicely. 6 4*s and 1 5* assuming everyone comes in as planned.

Marquez North 4*
Josh Malone 5*
Jason Croom 4*
Von Pearson 4*
Josh Smith 3*
Vic Wharton 4*
Johnathan Johnson 3*
Jacob Carter NR
Kameel Jackson 4*
Evan Berry 4*

Also really excited about 4 star JUCO walk-on Kameel Jackson (he is expected to enroll the 29th), a former Vol commit. Played meaningful snaps his Freshman year at OU, will likely be in the 2 deep once he learns the play book. Very talented guy.

Evan Berry should also get his first look on offense (or so we have been led to believe in his interviews). Could be a nice receiver for us. He and Vic will instantly boost our speed at slot.

edit: Beaten by POA. Did not include Pig Howard Ryan Jenkins or Drae Bowles (thought I heard a rumor of him transfering?) however.

Last edited:
Our WR corps is shaping up nicely. 6 4*s and 1 5* assuming everyone comes in as planned.

Marquez North 4*
Josh Malone 5*
Jason Croom 4*
Von Pearson 4*
Josh Smith 3*
Vic Wharton 4*
Johnathan Johnson 3*
Jacob Carter NR
Kameel Jackson 4*
Evan Berry 4*

Also really excited about 4 star JUCO walk-on Kameel Jackson (he is expected to enroll the 29th), a former Vol commit. Played meaningful snaps his Freshman year at OU, will likely be in the 2 deep once he learns the play book. Very talented guy.

Evan Berry should also get his first look on offense (or so we have been led to believe in his interviews). Could be a nice receiver for us. He and Vic will instantly boost our speed at slot.

edit: Beaten by POA. Did not include Pig Howard Ryan Jenkins or Drae Bowles (thought I heard a rumor of him transfering?) however.

Evan will be fine at WR... 'til Eric meets him coming across the middle.

With QB, RB, and WR all maturing, strengthening, and loading up on talent.....all we need is an offensive line that can operate as a unit to protect Worley enough for him to manage the offense as a distributor......hopefully the offensive linemen and the offensive line coach are working hard to perform as a wall of muscle and toughness for all this skill we have on paper.

If I were coach I would be a total troll on message boards. It would be awesome. I would be fired, but it would be awesome.

Theory: Butch is one of the incoherent posters on here then. Yes, pretty sure you could guess the select few I am talking about.

Marquez North 4*
Josh Malone 5*
Jason Croom 4*
Von Pearson 4*
Josh Smith 3*
Vic Wharton 4*
Johnathan Johnson 3*
Jacob Carter NR
Kameel Jackson 4*
Evan Berry 4*

Berry will start off on defense.

Too bad Worley will be the starter and Dobbs will never be a TE. Other than that spot on

Too early for absolute statements...though the Dobbs one is pretty safe.

Last edited:
Oh what Hunter/CP/DaRick could have been...

They would have been a 5-7 team.

No amount of offense was going to make up for that defense.

No amount of coverage would have stopped those three. We could have played with any team on our schedule. May not have won them all but we would have won more than we lost. Miss State and South Carolina were probable wins with DR. Florida and Georgia would have been different as well. I would like to have seen it play out. Never know what could have happened.

Offense was not the problem that year. But with all three maybe we come out scoring early (which didn't happen a lot) and the whole tone of those games would have been changed. And even coming from behind would have been different with all three of those wideouts.

No amount of coverage would have stopped those three. We could have played with any team on our schedule. May not have won them all but we would have won more than we lost. Miss State and South Carolina were probable wins with DR. Florida and Georgia would have been different as well. I would like to have seen it play out. Never know what could have happened.

Offense was not the problem that year. But with all three maybe we come out scoring early (which didn't happen a lot) and the whole tone of those games would have been changed. And even coming from behind would have been different with all three of those wideouts.

No.We had to score almost 60 to beat Troy..
Just No.

They are going to be over-hyped all off-season by boards and blogs like this, then they will be under the fire from boards and blogs like this during the whole season.

With QB, RB, and WR all maturing, strengthening, and loading up on talent.....all we need is an offensive line that can operate as a unit to protect Worley enough for him to manage the offense as a distributor......hopefully the offensive linemen and the offensive line coach are working hard to perform as a wall of muscle and toughness for all this skill we have on paper.

Honestly, I don't think that the offensive line drop-off is going to be that drastic. People assume that just because we lost older, "mature" guys that we're going to fall apart offensively.

Butch will figure out a way to make our weakness not so glaringly obvious.

The offense hinges on one of our QBs picking it up early.

VN Store

Back