With pig more than likely returning, how good is our wr core

Well one thing is certain...Josh Smith will never play.

You're of the same species of fans that said the same thing about stone handed, pass dropping Zach Rogers who became pretty much a go to WR. He's going to see the field and do well. Then when species JoSmithus Hatiens try to crawl into the 'I knew it all along' petri disc you should receive a hotfoot administered by a Dalek particle beam. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
Jones wants to go about 9 deep at WR. Smith is going to play.

Funny. Other guys couldn't get open, dropped passes, failed assignments, ran routes wrong, ran the wrong routes... but some fans choose Smith to take shots at.

Yes. He dropped too many passes. But he proved he could block and get open. He seemed to make fewer mental errors than the others. In short, he showed flashes of becoming a good WR for UT... as a Fr... playing WAY too early.

Reactions: 2 people

Funny. Other guys couldn't get open, dropped passes, failed assignments, ran routes wrong, ran the wrong routes... but some fans choose Smith to take shots at.

Yes. He dropped too many passes. But he proved he could block and get open. He seemed to make fewer mental errors than the others. In short, he showed flashes of becoming a good WR for UT... as a Fr... playing WAY too early.

I think he was open because the defense pretty much ignored him.

I know that besides North and pig they haven't even played a down yet but just on ability alone is this the best wr core ut has ever had? I'm asking some of our older volnation members.

The potential is there, but we've had some outstanding WR corps.

1982: Willie Gault, Clyde Duncan, Tim McGee, Mike Miller, Joey Clinkscales, Darryal Wilson, and Lenny Taylor. That's three first-round draft picks and four that went in later rounds.

Someone already mentioned the 1989-90 bunch, and you can probably find some insane groupings in the mid-90's.

Last edited:
You're of the same species of fans that said the same thing about stone handed, pass dropping Zach Rogers who became pretty much a go to WR. He's going to see the field and do well. Then when species JoSmithus Hatiens try to crawl into the 'I knew it all along' petri disc you should receive a hotfoot administered by a Dalek particle beam. :hi:

Don't worry, Alien. I won't come crawling back. If he turns out to be White Lightning Jr, I'll cheer for him. But from what I saw last year, he thought that ball was a cactus.

I agree with you that Josh Smith will definitely get a lot of snaps this year. He seems like a talented kid that could develop into a very good wide receiver, but mentally he was not ready to play last year as a freshman.

With the way we're recruiting at that position, I would say he better improve a lot as a sophomore in terms of catching balls that hit him in the hands and chest or he will barely, if ever, even see the field as a junior.

I agree with you that Josh Smith will definitely get a lot of snaps this year. He seems like a talented kid that could develop into a very good wide receiver, but mentally he was not ready to play last year as a freshman.

With the way we're recruiting at that position, I would say he better improve a lot as a sophomore in terms of catching balls that hit him in the hands and chest or he will barely, if ever, even see the field as a junior.

He better learn how to do that this Summer, or he won't see the field as a sophomore!

Ya the first one I can really remember is Nash and kent I know those yrs were good, but I was a little to young to remember anything before that. I'm not going to lie this was the first thread I ever started seems to be going pretty well some good discussion

He better learn how to do that this Summer, or he won't see the field as a sophomore!

He evidently is the second coming of Jerry Rice Sunday through Friday so I suspect he'll look great this summer. Let's hope he stops looking like Limas Sweed on Saturdays this year.

This WR corp has the potential to be the greatest ever. We will know soon enough. Hopefully Williams will be added to this group next year. I don't envy the opposing teams trying to stop them.:dance2:

Worley played behind a pretty porous line as a Fr after his RS was burned. He faced two top 10 teams in his 3 weeks as a starter with no relevant running game. He had ONE NFL caliber WR still playing at that point of the season- DR. Seems like that's about the time DD moved Neal to WR out of desperation.

His most significant PT of '12 was against Vandy. He went 8 of 11 for 51 yds after Bray went 11 for 29 for 101.

You've badly overstated your criticism on this one.

Wasn't posting criticism. Was posting facts. The facts are, Worley has put up pretty much similar numbers throughout his career, no matter who has been around him. To expect him to make a huge leap forward this year is silly, in my opinion. Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but the numbers, the statistics, the facts, suggest otherwise.

With pig more than likely coming back, and kameel Jackson coming in as a walk on, I know that besides North and pig they haven't even played a down yet but just on ability alone is this the best wr core ut has ever had? I'm asking some of our older volnation members.

There is a lot of potential, but other than North none of them have proven anything yet against SEC competition.

The potential is there, but we've had some outstanding WR corps.

1982: Willie Gault, Clyde Duncan, Tim McGee, Mike Miller, Joey Clinkscales, Darryal Wilson, and Lenny Taylor. That's three first-round draft picks and four that went in later rounds.

Someone already mention the 1989-90 bunch, and you can probably find some insane groupings in the mid-90's.

How about the 2001 team, with:

- Kelley Washington (8 years in the NFL)
- Donte Stallworth (11 years in the NFL)
- Eric Parker (6 years in the NFL)
- Jason Witten (12 years in the NFL)

...plus other contributors like Leonard Scott (pro sprinter) and Bobby Graham (7 catches in our last road win over Florida).

This year's receiving corp looks great on paper, but aside from North nobody's proven anything yet. We should be absolutely stacked in 2015 when Preston Williams joins the fold...

I hovered a bit over the like button before hitting it...

I was right there along with you for the first two sentences, and then I hit the JoSmithus Hatiens bit and kind of lost traction there...

Anyway, live long and prosper. :peace2:

Have we forgotten that Worley had two years prior with NFL-caliber receivers and posted pretty much the same dismal numbers whenever he played?

Hunter tore his ACL before Worley played as a freshman - Da'Rick was only NFL caliber in '11.

What other "NFL caliber" WRs are you referring to?

It will make me sad if we don't have a QB to step up with all this talent. Just a waste!

It will make me sad if we don't have a QB to step up with all this talent. Just a waste!

QBs should be capable... it's gonna come down to the OL blocking. If they can, then this will be a special year for the receivers... they're everywhere.

And Smith has even more potential than Rogers had.

I really wish we'd been able to redshirt him. I have a feeling he'll be one of those guys like Rogers that really hits his stride as a veteran.

QBs should be capable... it's gonna come down to the OL blocking. If they can, then this will be a special year for the receivers... they're everywhere.

Ah I keep forgetting about the O-line. I hope they get SEC ready during the summer.

VN Store

Back