Who gets what minutes next season?

With the extra practices and trip overseas we should have a better idea of who will be red shirting before exhibition time this season.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/Tennessee-basketball-planning-European-trip-this-summer-51755361

August?

Saw a blurb that Darrington and Daniel are expected in for start of summer classes the beginning of June, whether Daniel is 100% and ready to roll I'm not sure be we will see. Pons seems to be the mystery, seems more like it was going to be a late July arrival and good chance he wouldn't be on the summer trip which would be a bummer.

Saw a blurb that Darrington and Daniel are expected in for start of summer classes the beginning of June, whether Daniel is 100% and ready to roll I'm not sure be we will see. Pons seems to be the mystery, seems more like it was going to be a late July arrival and good chance he wouldn't be on the summer trip which would be a bummer.

Daniel said on Russell W. that he's currently at only 75%.

Good lord... it's my prediction of playing time distribution. It's not like the roster has Ernies and Bernies and Reggies and Dales and Allans that are going to play 40 minutes each. There are 8 or 9 underclassmen. IMO the minutes will be spread around.
No way he even gets that amount of minutes.. he's skinnier and arguably has a worse skillset than Jalen Johnson, who happened to redshirt when we actually really needed him. I agree with BTO on this one, I doubt we fork over any minutes to Kent and we stick to Fulkerson/Johnson/Walker/Alexander for our forward/post rotation.

No way he even gets that amount of minutes.. he's skinnier and arguably has a worse skillset than Jalen Johnson, who happened to redshirt when we actually really needed him. I agree with BTO on this one, I doubt we fork over any minutes to Kent and we stick to Fulkerson/Johnson/Walker/Alexander for our forward/post rotation.

He's the tallest guy on the roster.

Are you redshirting Williams? Converting him to PG?

Again, it's a prediction thread. You're nitpicking that the guy I'm allocating the fewest number of minutes to is being forked over too many minutes. I'd think that there would be more concern that I've predicted that the best guys on the team aren't being given closer to 35/40 than the guy at the end of the bench averaging 4 or 5 minutes per game. To be honest, I think that Kent will be redshirted, but I've hedged my bet by giving him a whole 4-5 minutes.

Last edited:
He's the tallest guy on the roster.

Are you redshirting Williams? Converting him to PG?

Again, it's a prediction thread. You're nitpicking that the guy I'm allocating the fewest number of minutes to is being forked over too many minutes. I'd think that there would be more concern that I've predicted that the best guys on the team aren't being given closer to 35/40 than the guy at the end of the bench averaging 4 or 5 minutes per game. To be honest, I think that Kent will be redshirted, but I've hedged my bet by giving him a whole 4-5 minutes.
All I'm saying is that I don't think Kent even plays. And yeah I forgot about Schofield and Williams. That just makes my argument make even more sense. Who is Kent taking those post minutes from?

SMDH

Brandon Lopez
I read your post, but you still didn't say who he would get those 5 minutes from. If we have Alexander/Schofield/Williams/Johnson/Walker/Fulkerson between the 4 and 5. Thats 6 players between 80 minutes. I don't think there is any room for Kent to average 5 minutes. I think he redshirts, unless he turns out to be a better shooter than we thought, I don't think he gets any playing time at all. And if he does, thats a good sign for the future.

I read your post, but you still didn't say who he would get those 5 minutes from. If we have Alexander/Schofield/Williams/Johnson/Walker/Fulkerson between the 4 and 5. Thats 6 players between 80 minutes. I don't think there is any room for Kent to average 5 minutes. I think he redshirts, unless he turns out to be a better shooter than we thought, I don't think he gets any playing time at all. And if he does, thats a good sign for the future.

Feel free to crunch the numbers:

Darrington 25
Daniel 25
Johnson 20
Bowden 25
Fulkerson 25
Williams 25
Pons 12
Bone 10
Turner 10
Walker 8
Schofield 10
Kent 5
Alexander 10

Minus about a minute each to get the total to 200.

All I'm saying is that I don't think Kent even plays. And yeah I forgot about Schofield and Williams. That just makes my argument make even more sense. Who is Kent taking those post minutes from?

Kent is light years ahead of alexander in knowledge of the game.
The entire roster is up in the air right now. I could actually see alexander getting the red shirt he has needed if Kent unexpectedly shows up.
it will all be determined by November.

Kent is light years ahead of alexander in knowledge of the game.
The entire roster is up in the air right now. I could actually see alexander getting the red shirt he has needed if Kent unexpectedly shows up.
it will all be determined by November.
Alexander, unless he majorly improved over the summer, will be primarily a shot blocker in situations where we need his length imo. I doubt Alexander redshirts his Junior year. That'd be a slap in the face if Barnes even asked Alexander that.

Alexander, unless he majorly improved over the summer, will be primarily a shot blocker in situations where we need his length imo. I doubt Alexander redshirts his Junior year. That'd be a slap in the face if Barnes even asked Alexander that.

Barnes is feeling the pressure to win, mostly internal. He's recruited over Bone and turner and I doubt hurt feelings is one of his priorities at this point.

Alexander is a special case. He had only played organized basketball for a year or two before coming to TN. He has NBA height, but is far from having NBA skills. It wouldn't be a slap in his face if it helped get him ready for a pro career, even if it's something other than the NBA.

Barnes is feeling the pressure to win, mostly internal. He's recruited over Bone and turner and I doubt hurt feelings is one of his priorities at this point.
I don't think he's necessarily recruited over them because both are freshmen with 3 years to get better and improve. It's more like Barnes thought he'd get more out of his upperclassmen in Phillips/Mostella and had a smart Plan B in place incase it didn't go well.

Also once Howard leaves, Darrington will be a Senior the following year, and Lamonte and Bone will both be juniors. I think it was a case of having an even roster in terms of seniority and leadership.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think he's necessarily recruited over them because both are freshmen with 3 years to get better and improve. It's more like Barnes thought he'd get more out of his upperclassmen in Phillips/Mostella and had a smart Plan B in place incase it didn't go well.

Also once Howard leaves, Darrington will be a Senior the following year, and Lamonte and Bone will both be juniors. I think it was a case of having an even roster in terms of seniority and leadership.

This...while I wouldn't be surprised to see someone leave after the season I don't think these guys were added to push out Bone and/or Turner. As you said Daniel will be gone after the season which will allow more minutes, and it appears the focus is on the wing and front court in the 2018 class.

This...while I wouldn't be surprised to see someone leave after the season I don't think these guys were added to push out Bone and/or Turner. As you said Daniel will be gone after the season which will allow more minutes, and it appears the focus is on the wing and front court in the 2018 class.

People giving up on Bone and Turner too quickly. It's not often freshmen come in and play lights out all season. Those two guys are gonna have the chance to be pretty good Vols if they put in the work.

People giving up on Bone and Turner too quickly. It's not often freshmen come in and play lights out all season. Those two guys are gonna have the chance to be pretty good Vols if they put in the work.

Absolutely agree...Barnes isn't recruiting over them by taking the 2 guys he did, imo he's making sure he has a Plan B or C and that at the same time hopefully 2 upperclassmen who will help bring along Bone and Turner.

Don't think anyone is giving up on them, but it's very clear that Barnes saw the need to add some experience at the PG position and some added fire power in the back court.
Bone and Turner have 3 years of eligibility left.

VN Store

Back