Who gets what minutes next season?

If Walker could be half the sleeper that Williams was last year..whoa. He looks like he could put on another 20 pounds and be a bruiser like Maymon. Big ifs I know, but imagine what it would look like with Williams, Walker, and Admiral banging the boards at the same time.

Actually he was over weight and out of shape last season and his game showed it. He needs to shed about 20 pounds and get back to playing the high energy game he had in 15-16.

Bone/Darrington
Daniel/Turner
Bowden/Pons
Williams/Schofield
Alexander/Fulkerson

Leaves Walker and Johnson vying for minutes, I believe Kent redshirts.

I think Fulkerson will start imo . He was playing better than Williams before he got hurt .

I think Fulkerson will start imo . He was playing better than Williams before he got hurt .

I think that Fulkerson and Williams together in the paint with scoring threats on the perimeter is a viable formula for success. Both of those guys when double teamed could potentially find the other for easy baskets. They're both smart players. We haven't seen much high IQ basketball at TN since the Mears/Devoe years.

I think that Fulkerson and Williams together in the paint with scoring threats on the perimeter is a viable formula for success. Both of those guys when double teamed could potentially find the other for easy baskets. They're both smart players. We haven't seen much high IQ basketball at TN since the Mears/Devoe years.

Agree. But sure would like to see Fulkerson put on about 20 more lbs this summer. I worry how healthy he can be during a 30+ game season, banging with guys how have 25-50 lbs on him.

Actually he was over weight and out of shape last season and his game showed it. He needs to shed about 20 pounds and get back to playing the high energy game he had in 15-16.

Are u talking about Walker? Because, he was tearing it up in high school last year. U must have him confused with someone else. I think Walker comes in and averages close to 10 points and 8 rebounds a game as a freshman. Depending on how many of Kentucky and Missouri's 5 star players make the all-SEC freshmen team this year, will decide whether or not Walker makes it. Either way, Walker will be a vital part for the Vols next year. I predict 20 minutes a game for Walker. This years Grant Williams with more rebounds and a lot less 3s, if any

Are u talking about Walker? Because, he was tearing it up in high school last year. U must have him confused with someone else. I think Walker comes in and averages close to 10 points and 8 rebounds a game as a freshman. Depending on how many of Kentucky and Missouri's 5 star players make the all-SEC freshmen team this year, will decide whether or not Walker makes it. Either way, Walker will be a vital part for the Vols next year. I predict 20 minutes a game for Walker. This years Grant Williams with more rebounds and a lot less 3s, if any

Not the Walker I saw in games last year. Weighed about 250 and could bearly make it up and down the floor the whole game.

No comparison to his 15-16 season when he weighed about 225.
If you've got links to any games I missed where he was tearing it up last season, please post them. I'd like to be wrong.

Not the Walker I saw in games last year. Weighed about 250 and could bearly make it up and down the floor the whole game.

No comparison to his 15-16 season when he weighed about 225.
If you've got links to any games I missed where he was tearing it up last season, please post them. I'd like to be wrong.

The games I saw were at camps and/or AAU. I assume u are talking about his high school season. I just find it hard to believe, we would offer a scholarship to him, if he was that out of shape. But, hell, I've been wrong before

The games I saw were at camps and/or AAU. I assume u are talking about his high school season. I just find it hard to believe, we would offer a scholarship to him, if he was that out of shape. But, hell, I've been wrong before

If he wants to play @ Tennessee, he will get into much better shape. I hope he has been woking hard so he ill be ready to go this Fall. If not, expect a red-shirt for this year.

I hope that Barnes puts guys on the floor that can push a frenetic pace. Maybe not as absurd as Loyola Marymount, but at least very high energy.

Having said that, unless Turner transforms in the off season, I won't care if he gets scarce minutes. There were too many times last year when he seemed to just dribble away the 30-second clock at the top of the key. I want to see the ball moving in the half court or better yet, the basket attacked in transition. Bone also needs to step it up as he struggled to finish last year.

Darrington 25
Daniel 25
Johnson 20
Bowden 25
Fulkerson 25
Williams 25
Pons 12
Bone 10
Turner 10
Walker 8
Schofield 10
Kent 5
Alexander 10

Minus about a minute each to get the total down to 200.

Alexander can get more minutes if he's developed. He hasn't had good enough basketball skills, but somebody with his size that can run the floor like he does could be a great addition. He has to be able to catch the ball better. If he can he could get a lot of easy transition baskets.

Fulkerson will mesh well with guards that push the ball. Maybe Pons would emerge in that style too. Actually I won't be surprised if William regressed just a little. I think he's better suited for a more methodical, half court approach. But that could also mean he'll be a good counter when opponents scheme to slow down a fast paced TN offense.

I hope that Barnes puts guys on the floor that can push a frenetic pace. Maybe not as absurd as Loyola Marymount, but at least very high energy.

Having said that, unless Turner transforms in the off season, I won't care if he gets scarce minutes. There were too many times last year when he seemed to just dribble away the 30-second clock at the top of the key. I want to see the ball moving in the half court or better yet, the basket attacked in transition. Bone also needs to step it up as he struggled to finish last year.

Darrington 25
Daniel 25
Johnson 20
Bowden 25
Fulkerson 25
Williams 25
Pons 12
Bone 10
Turner 10
Walker 8
Schofield 10
Kent 5
Alexander 10

Alexander can get more minutes if he's developed. He hasn't had good enough basketball skills, but somebody with his size that can run the floor like he does could be a great addition. He has to be able to catch the ball better. If he can he could get a lot of easy transition baskets.

Fulkerson will mesh well with guards that push the ball. Maybe Pons would emerge in that style too. Actually I won't be surprised if William regressed just a little. I think he's better suited for a more methodical, half court approach. But that could also mean he'll be a good counter when opponents scheme to slow down a fast paced TN offense.

Williams will have to work on his handles to succeed in that offense Imo. He'd be perfect to grab the rebound and go the distant for the bucket/assist

Williams will have to work on his handles to succeed in that offense Imo. He'd be perfect to grab the rebound and go the distant for the bucket/assist

IIRC he also struggled at first last year when defenses started dropping extra defenders on him when he caught the ball down low. Then in the last couple of games he got better at finding an open teammate. I hope to see Williams get a lot of assists on Fulkerson baskets this coming year.

Darrington 25
Daniel 25
Johnson 20
Bowden 25
Fulkerson 25
Williams 25
Pons 12
Bone 10
Turner 10
Walker 8
Schofield 10
Kent 5
Alexander 10

I see zero chance we play 13 guys each game, or that 11 guys play double digit minutes per game

Darrington 25
Daniel 25
Johnson 20
Bowden 25
Fulkerson 25
Williams 25
Pons 12
Bone 10
Turner 10
Walker 8
Schofield 10
Kent 5
Alexander 10

If the 2nd half of last season is any indicator, Admiral is playing more than 10 minutes IMO.

If the 2nd half of last season is any indicator, Admiral is playing more than 10 minutes IMO.

I think it will depend on whether or not Pons/Walker/Kent contribute, if Bowden and/or Johnson play major minutes, and if Alexander steps it up. If a freshman emerges as a contributor and the other three are key pieces, then I don't think it plays out well for Admiral. I think that his best opportunity will be as our off the bench goon in the paint. I don't think he's a good enough wing. But he could grab a lot of the minutes that Lew Evans had out at the high post.

Well since a Kent redshirt hasn't been announced yet, I'll stick with a prediction of 5 minutes/game or about 150 total minutes.

Johnson wasn't red shirted until after the exhibition game last season when he showed he couldn't cut it strength wise.

Johnson wasn't red shirted until after the exhibition game last season when he showed he couldn't cut it strength wise.

If Walker has turned into a porker like somebody on the board said, he could get the RS too. Or Bone or Alexander. Even Pons could get the RS. Also, anybody could get a nagging injury before the season starts and elect to RS. So, since we're predicting I'll stick with 5 for Kent.

If Walker has turned into a porker like somebody on the board said, he could get the RS too. Or Bone or Alexander. Even Pons could get the RS. Also, anybody could get a nagging injury before the season starts and elect to RS. So, since we're predicting I'll stick with 5 for Kent.

I said the same thing about Williams looking gassed late in games in his SR HS season because of the extra weight.
Medenwald had him slim and chiseled by mid summer.
Hoping he can produce the same results with Walker.

Show me a Barnes team with 13 guys that played 150+ minutes in a season...

Good lord... it's my prediction of playing time distribution. It's not like the roster has Ernies and Bernies and Reggies and Dales and Allans that are going to play 40 minutes each. There are 8 or 9 underclassmen. IMO the minutes will be spread around.

6,000+ minutes to go around this year. I'm predicting that Kent gets 150. I think that's 2.5% for about 7.5% of the roster.

These minute distribution threads are so stupid... I usually skip them. The distribution changes EVERY game based on the opposition. Barnes loves to work at gaining an advantage with matchups.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back