White just admitted........

CYA. How many turned us down? If it is under 10 it is not enough. Don’t make the hire now. I was against keeping Steele but have changed my mind now. It was a better option to keep Steele and try and make a better hire next year.
^^^^^^^^^

It is easy to realize that White always had Heupel as safety net if the coaches on the list above JH said no.

Every AD says they only offered one guy, who happens to be the guy that accepted. You better believe more were offered in a roundabout way.

Yep! It's like having your buddy go over to the hot girl at the bar to see if she'll go out with you. When the answer is no, it's OK because YOU didn't ask her out. So at the end of the night, after your buddy has been told "no" 100 times, you get up the nerve to ask a slump-buster and she says yes. 1-1, baby!

Reactions: OrangeShadeOfDoom
That he wasn't even considering Heupel for this job.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach

He didn’t say that and I think sometimes schools reach out to see if there’s interest for an interview and candidates decline. That’s not the same as being offered the job. I highly doubt he offered the job to over 5 people like the media are claiming. He likely offered to interview 5 people or more

White is not in over his head, but he is having to move according to those pulling the strings. He is on a short leash and I bet it is killing him.
Maybe, but making any comparison of UCF to Bama or Clemson is delusional at best, and downright stupid at worst.

Don't bother arguing. Dude still thinks every one in the SEC has beat Bama in the last 10 years except us. Dude is a lost cause.
Quit putting words in my mouth because you cant make a valid argument.

Nobody is forcing you to comment on my posts and you can block me from your feed at any time. Over there is the door!

He didn’t say that and I think sometimes schools reach out to see if there’s interest for an interview and candidates decline. That’s not the same as being offered the job. I highly doubt he offered the job to over 5 people like the media are claiming. He likely offered to interview 5 people or more

If you reach out to a guy to see if he wants it, that's the same thing as offering him the job. You clearly want him as your coach. Even if he says he's not interested, that doesnt change the fact that you tried to give him the job. The rest is just sorting out money and the guy can still back out and not actually be given a contract to sign, but he was in fact, offered the job.

White is not in over his head, but he is having to move according to those pulling the strings. He is on a short leash and I bet it is killing him.

I believe White honestly didn't know how many coaches would flat out say they were not interested in talking to Tennessee about the opening. He thought he could come in here and flash Tennessee's money and get the guy he wanted. It's clear that this wasn't the case.

If you reach out to a guy to see if he wants it, that's the same thing as offering him the job. You clearly want him as your coach. Even if he says he's not interested, that doesnt change the fact that you tried to give him the job. The rest is just sorting out money and the guy can still back out and not actually be given a contract to sign, but he was in fact, offered the job.

No reaching out to a coach isn’t the same as offering a coach. You reach out to see if you want that coach just as much as you reach out to see if they want to be here.

“He spoke to multiple people” and “he offered multiple people” are two different things

Perhaps its the environment in this country--were all on edge but this press conference on the AD end is a clinic in gaslighting. People in leadership roles in this society have a lying problem.

I'm f-ing tired of it. Don't pee on my leg and tell me its raining.

He should have just told us that it's hopeless instead of projecting optimism? I'll bet you're a lot of fun.

Reactions: kcvols1
This may have already been mentioned but he couldn't exactly stand up there in front of Heupel and admit he was one of our last resorts.

"We tried to get a better coach but unfortunately we had to settle for this dude."

Which has some truth to it but you still can't say that directly in front of him.

Reactions: Gatorhater.dl

If a school reaches out, that means they want to know if you'd like to be the coach. If you say "yes, but I want 10 million to do it", and the university passes, that does not change the fact that they wanted to talk to you about being the coach. There are hundreds of coaches they could have talked to. The one's they reached out to are the ones they wanted to get to some kind of agreement with. You dont waste your time talking to a guy if you wouldnt be willing to hire them.

This may have already been mentioned but he couldn't exactly stand up there in front of Heupel and admit he was one of our last resorts.

"We tried to get a better coach but unfortunately we had to settle for this dude."

Which has some truth to it but you still can't say that directly in front of him.

This is EXACTLY RIGHT. But there are people here who are already taking his word as the Gospel in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

Chris Lowe has already outright stated all the people Danny tried to get to come here before settling on Heuple.

According to Chris Low, here's the list of coaches who rejected us.

James Franklin, Penn State
Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
Sonny Dykes, SMU
PJ Fleck, Minnesota
Tony Elliot, Clemson (OC)

" White cast a wide net through the Parker Executive Search firm and reached out to and/or interviewed several candidates, including Penn State's James Franklin, Cincinnati's Luke Fickell, SMU's Sonny Dykes, Minnesota's PJ Fleck and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, among others. "

This is a definitive statement, not "I heard from the brother in law of the maid of one of the top boosters"

@Carp go to 36:30 of the presser and White will tell you himself "It wasn't actually until recent" that he considered Heuple for the job. Meaning he was not part of the initial coaching search and didnt want to offer it to him until he tried to get the list of names above.

Now you can choose to believe "Oh I didnt want to take him away from UCF" that's just saving face because of a big awkward situation. It would be a dereliction of duty if White thought that Heuple was the best man for the job and he didnt make him the #1 target.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbuchanan
I believe White honestly didn't know how many coaches would flat out say they were not interested in talking to Tennessee about the opening. He thought he could come in here and flash Tennessee's money and get the guy he wanted. It's clear that this wasn't the case.

We have no idea what was offered. For a top-flight coach to come here, it'll likely require Fisher to A&M money.

People are forgetting how much money it took to get Mullen to Florida, etc. Our board may not ever be comfortable with a $75/10 or $37/6 deal like what A&M and Florida had to sign.

Hell, for perspective, Bama had to go $32/8 in 2007 to get out. I don't know that we'll ever make a move like that.

We have no idea what was offered. For a top-flight coach to come here, it'll likely require Fisher to A&M money.

People are forgetting how much money it took to get Mullen to Florida, etc. Our board may not ever be comfortable with a $75/10 or $37/6 deal like what A&M and Florida had to sign.

Hell, for perspective, Bama had to go $32/8 in 2007 to get out. I don't know that we'll ever make a move like that.

If they tried to pull in Franklin I would be willing to bet they threw a ton of money his way.

He should have just told us that it's hopeless instead of projecting optimism? I'll bet you're a lot of fun.
No you don't say that smartass. You just don't offer specifics on the who, what when, where. Just stay general--what happened today was gaslighting.

If a school reaches out, that means they want to know if you'd like to be the coach. If you say "yes, but I want 10 million to do it", and the university passes, that does not change the fact that they wanted to talk to you about being the coach. There are hundreds of coaches they could have talked to. The one's they reached out to are the ones they wanted to get to some kind of agreement with. You dont waste your time talking to a guy if you wouldnt be willing to hire them.

So you only believe schools reach out to the one person they intend to hire and they don’t speak to anyone else at all?

So you only believe schools reach out to the one person they intend to hire and they don’t speak to anyone else at all?

I'm saying they reach out to all the people they feel like they have a shot at and they would like to hire. When I do interviews at work I dont reach out to people that I dont want to hire. I certainly dont interview them. If you're being interviewed then they are interested in you, at least initially.

VN Store

Back