White just admitted........

That he wasn't even considering Heupel for this job.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach

It is amazing how some people can watch a press conference and have no apparent idea of what the person actually said.

Maybe you should watch it again and see what he actually said.

He actually said, NO ONE ELSE WAS OFFERED THE JOB. And he also said he did not go into the search with a pre-conceived idea as to who he would hire.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

Did you actually read or watch what he actually said? Clearly, you did not. He said he didn't want to consider hiring him because he didn't want to put UCF in a bind.

It is amazing how some people can watch a press conference and have no apparent idea of what the person actually said.

Maybe you should watch it again and see what he actually said.

He actually said, NO ONE ELSE WAS OFFERED THE JOB. And he also said he did not go into the search with a pre-conceived idea as to who he would hire.

Right. What this means is nobody was sent a contract to sign. But lots of coaches were reached out to to see if they wanted the job. this is a fact already reported on. And I absolutely believe he didn't have a pre-conceived idea of who he would hire..... including Heupel.

People keep saying a “Home Run” hire. I wish someone could explain how anyone is a guaranteed winner. There is no such thing as a sure thing in coaching, way too many factors to consider.

Well Hank Aaron would have been a home run hire........if your looking for home runs.

God bless his family and Rest In Peace Hank.

Reactions: Bret178 and volhick
Perhaps its the environment in this country--were all on edge but this press conference on the AD end is a clinic in gaslighting. People in leadership roles in this society have a lying problem.

I'm f-ing tired of it. Don't pee on my leg and tell me its raining.

Great line from Josey Wales!

No where near what White said. White stated that he only offered the job to one man and that was Heupel. Although he spoke with multiple, the only one he was comfortable with was Josh. The reason for not wanting Josh was because he didn’t want to hurt the UCF players.

Every AD says they only offered one guy, who happens to be the guy that accepted. You better believe more were offered in a roundabout way.

Reactions: Boca Vol
The "home run hires" that are actually feasible (Campbell, Fickell) and the borderline strong hires (Napier) have already said no to Texas and Auburn. Franklin at PSU was not a realistic possibility. That's his dream job and I doubt he leaves for USC/Texas... much less a less-talented team with a much harder schedule.

We thought Napier might be a legit chance, but there was an article in Dec 2020 from a guy close to Napier that basically said he's going to let his stock build. I think he's just waiting for LSU to either fire Orgeron or for Saban to retire. I don't think he's interested in a job where he'll actually have to work, I think he wants a go-in-and-win-immediately job where the recruits basically line up to go there and you don't have to spend a ton of time recruiting them.

There just weren't legit options. Do you instead go for Jeff Fisher who has been out of the game for a couple of years if not arguably 15? Do you show the NCAA you mean business about institutional control by hiring Kiffin or Freeze (lol)? Do you take an even bigger chance on Chadwell?

I thought we might make Bill O'Brien a big-time offer like $6-7mil year because that is what it is going to take to get us out of this rut.

Point is: Convincing coaches to come here and recruit/win against Bama/UGA/Florida every year is a hard sell, especially if we're not offering up major contracts like what TAMU did.

Reading between the lines.....
I think it is safe to say that AD White was having to operate on iron clad constraints from the UT Administration. His hands appear to have been tied. First, the fact that we reportedly couldn’t negotiate up to Franklin‘s asking price as well as the fact that we basically will be paying Pruitt’s rate still leads me to think that White was given a salary cap budget NOT TO BE EXCEEDED no matter who the candidate was. And two, the speed at which we moved without apparently even speaking to Freeze or Kiffen looks like White was probably provided with a blacklist of candidates he knew would never be approved. So I really think this is not the direction White would have went given a free hand. This is exactly why UT football continues to suffer, people with no football knowledge trying to dictate a subject of which they have no knowledge or interest.

“The last AD and cornbread f-cked this up so bad that every coach in America laughed at me when I called. I had no choice but hire the guy that owed me big time. But, at least dunces like Gundy & the bozo from NCState guy didn’t use me to get a raise.”

White left that paragraph out.

No where near what White said. White stated that he only offered the job to one man and that was Heupel. Although he spoke with multiple, the only one he was comfortable with was Josh. The reason for not wanting Josh was because he didn’t want to hurt the UCF players.

When he said "I only offered the job to one man" he means officially sent a contract to. He ABSOLUTELY offered the job to other coaches by reaching out to them to see if they wanted the job.

You see how this works is they send out feelers to people that they WANT to have as a coach and if the coach reciprocates then they offer that man the job. That's not the same thing as saying that Heupel was the only person White wanted to hire, not even close. He absolutely wanted to hire better coaches and they all showed no interest in coming here so he didnt offer them a contract to sign.

Reactions: MocVol

No, he didn’t say anything remotely like that. This indicates you’re either (a) not very smart or (b) trying to put a dishonest negative spin on the HC hire.

I don’t know which shoe fits, but I do know how to value your posts now.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back