White just admitted........

That he wasn't even considering Heupel for this job.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach
I don't believe it for a second. Not one second. It was always Heupel. ESPN will be getting all of their info fed to them from other media outlets that were also fed info from UT admin.

I don't believe it for a second. Not one second. It was always Heupel. ESPN will be getting all of their info fed to them from other media outlets that were also fed info from UT admin.
There are a lot of people with connections on both sides of these conversations (UT and the various candidates) that are saying that Heupel was down the list... no better than 4th. This was most likely a default hire. May be good. May be bad. But the UT job was already a tough sell and is even more so with potential NCAA issues.

Way to spin it. He clearly said it was because he didn't want to take the head coach away from the program he just left. It wasn't because he doesn't think highly of him.

He's the one who "spun it"

If you believe Heupel was the man for the job then you take that man. It's just business.

After all, he took him anyway!

There's a point when a situation is too risky for guys who are "better than" a top tier mid-major coach. If he comes in and scores points.... just that... then it puts UT on the road to recovery.
I agree with the caveat that there WERE better coaches who wanted the job, but UT saw THEM as too risky. And we may very well end up suffering the consequences of that fear.

This fanbase needs to remember as well....
We are on the doorsteps of potential ncaa sanctions and a "homerun" hire is probably not going to risk coming here knowing potential bowl bans/scholarship reductions will be stacked up. It just doesnt make sense, especially given the nature of our coaching turnover which is averaging around 3 years

Most of the people who are upset or mad over this hire are probably the dolts who thought Lane was going to swing the double doors open and walk right back in (or insert fan fav dream coach).

And from the looks of it, the ones in front of Huepel probably turned the offer down.

That he wasn't even considering Heupel for this job.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach
No where near what White said. White stated that he only offered the job to one man and that was Heupel. Although he spoke with multiple, the only one he was comfortable with was Josh. The reason for not wanting Josh was because he didn’t want to hurt the UCF players.

There are a lot of people with connections on both sides of these conversations (UT and the various candidates) that are saying that Heupel was down the list... no better than 4th. This was most likely a default hire. May be good. May be bad. But the UT job was already a tough sell and is even more so with potential NCAA issues.

Very well put.

This fanbase needs to remember as well....
We are on the doorsteps of potential ncaa sanctions and a "homerun" hire is probably not going to risk coming here knowing potential bowl bans/scholarship reductions will be stacked up. It just doesnt make sense, especially given the nature of our coaching turnover which is averaging around 3 years

Most of the people who are upset or mad over this hire are probably the dolts who thought Lane was going to swing the double doors open and walk right back in (or insert fan fav dream coach).

And from the looks of it, the ones in front of Huepel probably turned the offer down.
People keep saying a “Home Run” hire. I wish someone could explain how anyone is a guaranteed winner. There is no such thing as a sure thing in coaching, way too many factors to consider.

If money wasn't a issue then he did a great job. Lol
I don't think money got in the way if what we could offer is true. I think the unknown of sanctions and knowing we have 20+ kids that have left caused any proven power 5 winners form even considering.

Reactions: Sara Clark
What role, then, did Peyton play in this hire? Has anyone asked that question? I had read somewhere that he was going to be involved in the search. I’m just curious.

I definitely think in the context of the situation he meant "I didn't want to hire him (because he was early in his career at UCF--where I hired him to succeed with the program), but he was just too good to pass up."

I think he has confidence in his man. And that's a good thing.

VN Store

Back