White just admitted........

Right. What this means is nobody was sent a contract to sign. But lots of coaches were reached out to to see if they wanted the job. this is a fact already reported on. And I absolutely believe he didn't have a pre-conceived idea of who he would hire..... including Heupel.

Your key phrase, "But lots of coaches were reached out to to see if they wanted the job, this is a fact already REPORTED on." Reported on by whom? So you trust all the "reported" wild rumors, but not the man who is the man at UT whose job is, and was, to make the critical decision of hiring the right man.

This forum can be depressing. So many people on here wear themselves out digging as deep as possible to find a negative nugget.

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
LOL at Danny White comparing UCF to Bama and Clemson. He is CLEARLY over HIS head here. I think he has zero idea what the SEC Is all about.
White is not in over his head, but he is having to move according to those pulling the strings. He is on a short leash and I bet it is killing him.

Way to spin it. He clearly said it was because he didn't want to take the head coach away from the program he just left. It wasn't because he doesn't think highly of him.

Yup this is what White said. Whether it's true or not who knows. But it's not fair to spin his words

There are a lot of people with connections on both sides of these conversations (UT and the various candidates) that are saying that Heupel was down the list... no better than 4th. This was most likely a default hire. May be good. May be bad. But the UT job was already a tough sell and is even more so with potential NCAA issues.
Having listened to the press conference just now, after following the various reports from many sources over the past five days, here's what I honestly think happened:

1. Danny White thought James Franklin was the builder Tennessee needed. A guy who could, to repeat an analogy I've already used in another thread, jump into the driver's seat, figure out the quirks and oddities of this particular vehicle, then get the most out of it while negotiating the obstacles of sanctions and covid and whatever else. A lot of top-end coaches may not be able to adjust to rough situations and still thrive, but Franklin proved more than once he can. So White targeted him first.

2. Maybe Danny had another rebuild-capable experienced head coach in mind as well, but shifted his focus to Franklin after talking to our lads and finding out their druthers (the two most explicitly mentioned today were (a) want a coach who will have us competing immediately, not years in the future, and (b) want an offensive-minded coach who will play the most modern version of the game). So maybe Franklin wasn't alone at the top of White's list until he talked to the players, but then he was because he fit their desires as well.

3. Simultaneously, I think Danny had Elliott in mind. For some of the same reasons, particularly the wide-open offensive focus. Lower priority than Franklin because (a) not a head coach and (b) not tested as a rebuilder. But still highly thought of, and probably the #2 choice.

4. But Danny kept pushing on Franklin, for three and a half long days. Toward the end, he probably started to realize Franklin was likely never going to say yes. So probably on Monday and into Tuesday, he was working both Franklin and Elliott equally hard. At some point it shifted to just Elliott.

5. But then, maybe sitting in his office late one night (this would be Sunday night or Monday night) with his bloodshot eyes closed and a strong desire to lay down on his couch and sleep for an hour or two, he probably had an epiphany. And it probably went something like this: "I'm killing myself and running my staff ragged here, trying to get Franklin or Elliott, but what the heck? Josh Heupel is a head coach, he's an offensive mind, he may not yet have been challenged with building through a complex set of circumstances, but he's bright enough to do that, too. Why am I busting my butt when I've got this excellent option right at my fingertips?"

6. Now, was that an accurate assessment on his part? Was it the lack of sleep over the past 3-4 days? Some combination of both? Don't know. But White pretty much admitted in today's press conference to having that kind of "eureka" moment (I don't know if it was in his office or on an airplane, late at night or in the middle of the day; I added those bits for dramatic effect).

7. What about the other guys? What about Fickell and Dykes, and maybe even Campbell (though he went unnamed)? I'd guess Danny White never met with any of them face-to-face, the way he did with Franklin, Elliott, and Heupel. Phone calls, maybe facetiming/video conference calls/something along those lines. But those conversations probably never got far enough to involve face-to-face handshakes or discussion of specifics.

That's how I think it probably played out. We may learn details to correct parts of it as sources begin to leak in coming days and weeks.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Your key phrase, "But lots of coaches were reached out to to see if they wanted the job, this is a fact already REPORTED on." Reported on by whom? So you trust all the "reported" wild rumors, but not the man who is the man at UT whose job is, and was, to make the critical decision of hiring the right man.

This forum can be depressing. So many people on here wear themselves out digging as deep as possible to find a negative nugget.

I trust ESPN when they say Elliot was seriously considering taking the job and Franklin was talked to. Yes I absolutely believe those things.

No where near what White said. White stated that he only offered the job to one man and that was Heupel. Although he spoke with multiple, the only one he was comfortable with was Josh. The reason for not wanting Josh was because he didn’t want to hurt the UCF players.

Don't bother arguing. Dude still thinks every one in the SEC has beat Bama in the last 10 years except us. Dude is a lost cause.

Reactions: jim43
It is amazing how some people can watch a press conference and have no apparent idea of what the person actually said.

Maybe you should watch it again and see what he actually said.

He actually said, NO ONE ELSE WAS OFFERED THE JOB. And he also said he did not go into the search with a pre-conceived idea as to who he would hire.
There has been a lot of that in this country over the last few years.

Reactions: GBOx2
White ultimately hired someone he has a history with much like when Hart hired Barnes after Barnes was fired by Texas.

You have to realize that this might be the first candidate to even want to talk about money. The others may have not even made it to discuss money before they said NO. Give this guy a chance because he is what we have.

Reading between the lines.....
I think it is safe to say that AD White was having to operate on iron clad constraints from the UT Administration. His hands appear to have been tied. First, the fact that we reportedly couldn’t negotiate up to Franklin‘s asking price as well as the fact that we basically will be paying Pruitt’s rate still leads me to think that White was given a salary cap budget NOT TO BE EXCEEDED no matter who the candidate was. And two, the speed at which we moved without apparently even speaking to Freeze or Kiffen looks like White was probably provided with a blacklist of candidates he knew would never be approved. So I really think this is not the direction White would have went given a free hand. This is exactly why UT football continues to suffer, people with no football knowledge trying to dictate a subject of which they have no knowledge or interest.
Apparently is the key word in your write up, synonymous with i think, i guess, maybe, probably, could be, i don't know, i want my Maypo. This board is full of folks that never heard of Danny White that overnight became experts in the process of selection....... lol.

Reactions: Exiled
That he wasn't even considering Heupel for this job.

ESPN also reporting what most "insiders" were saying. We were flat rejected by all the coaches White thought were better than Heupel.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach
CYA. How many turned us down? If it is under 10 it is not enough. Don’t make the hire now. I was against keeping Steele but have changed my mind now. It was a better option to keep Steele and try and make a better hire next year.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I think its a homerun hire. Yawl wanted excitement on offense well you got it in this coach. His defenses are not great.

I trust ESPN when they say Elliot was seriously considering taking the job and Franklin was talked to. Yes I absolutely believe those things.
I don’t. They make things up if the news is slow. No integrity just like many of the sports pundits. It’s all about the traffic.

I don't believe it for a second. Not one second. It was always Heupel. ESPN will be getting all of their info fed to them from other media outlets that were also fed info from UT admin.
Nah, they tried. Hell they went to Franklin twice to try to get him.

Nah, they tried. Hell they went to Franklin twice to try to get him.
So they say. I'm not telling anyone not to believe it. I don't. I know they can put out a narrative and once they do that, everyone's going to run with it

Reactions: ApacheVol
So they say. I'm not telling anyone not to believe it. I don't. I know they can put out a narrative and once they do that, everyone's going to run with it
I mean idk for sure this wasn’t the plan all along but I do know for sure they offered a lot of other people.

I mean idk for sure this wasn’t the plan all along but I do know for sure they offered a lot of other people.
you don't know for sure. You know for sure they are telling you that but like I said, if you believe it that's cool. I just don't have to believe it.

Reactions: ApacheVol

VN Store

Back