Where do we have to improve?

For me our D line has to get a lot better. Little QB pressure and when we got some we couldn't get a sack. Anytime WV ran the ball they got at least 4 yards. A lot of the guys on our D line are juniors or seniors, so it's time for them to play well or get out of the way so we can develop the younger guys.

I know our secondary didn't play well, but a lot of those guys are Freshman so I was expecting to take some lumps. We need Warrior to be a leader back there. I'd like to see either Jackson or Shamburger play more too at the other Safety spot.

What is your take?
Said they were going to play people but I didn’t see Kingston Harris. I didn’t see Emerson or Golden. I didn’t see Jordan Allen. I didn’t see Matthew Butler.
It looked to me like Phillips, Tuttle and Jonson played 90% of plays on the DL.

Offense

Defense

Special teams

Only reason the offense is getting a pass to an extent is that the defense was so atrocious.

14 points against an absolutely terrible defense isnt going to cut it.

And could someone please explain to the team to stop taking it out of the friggin end zone on kick offs every time. The odds aren't likely of making the 25 unless there is a wide open lane.

Said they were going to play people but I didn’t see Kingston Harris. I didn’t see Emerson or Golden. I didn’t see Jordan Allen. I didn’t see Matthew Butler.
It looked to me like Phillips, Tuttle and Jonson played 90% of plays on the DL.
I saw Gooden a little, but yeah the majority was Phillips, Tuttle, and Johnson. It's put up or shut up time for those 3 imo.

The D across the board. LBs are nowhere to be found secondary is young but even the upper class guys look slow to react. DL wasn't terrible but they didnt win too many times today either.

The O was more of the unknown pre game to me.
JG earned some slack and the OL settled in after a couple possessions. Missed finishing a couple drives but they got better as the game went on.

Ya know a lot of us felt some kind of way when on Trey Smith and Warrior were recognized preseason as players of note in the SEC. However after this debacle it's hard form me to go to bat for our kids, few of them played well. JG, Jordan, and a few others did, but that's it. I didn't think Trey had a particularly good game.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Ya know a lot of us felt some kind of way when on Trey Smith and Warrior were recognized preseason as players of note in the SEC. However after this debacle it's hard form me to go to bat for our kids, few of them played well. JG, Jordan, and a few others did, but that's it. I didn't think Trey had a particularly good game.
Im sure they recognized that also. They've got 2 weeks to get in gear. I believe by Florida we'll see a different team.

These guys need to get pissed off, become nasty on the field and overall play with a level of hate most of them haven't found inside themselves yet. Then they have to play with a lot of situational awareness, know who they're supposed to block and don't go double team a guy that's already neutralized while you let two other guys blitz from the corner as if you didn't know they were even there! Our guys do that all the time! Lots of film study this week for these guys. They better study hard.

UT is in real danger of becoming permanently mediocre. Unfortunately, this generation of players has never experienced a great UT team and the further we get from it the older generation of fans won't be able to carry the torch forever. We can't hang our hats on Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, and Al Wilson forever. I fear that if UT doesn't learn to win again in the next 10-15 years we are going to become a relic of the past like Pitt or Miami

Tennessee has very few good players, Im Not sure any Vol player could start for WV, possibly Trey Smith, but few if any others

UT is in real danger of becoming permanently mediocre. Unfortunately, this generation of players has never experienced a great UT team and the further we get from it the older generation of fans won't be able to carry the torch forever. We can't hang our hats on Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, and Al Wilson forever. I fear that if UT doesn't learn to win again in the next 10-15 years we are going to become a relic of the past like Pitt or Miami

Pitt and Miami have long surpassed the hapless Vols, unfortunately

Tyson Chandler rushed for negative yards today. He was completely outclassed by Jordan and the WVU running back

This, but we will still be okay this year. Worst case, 6-6 and a December bowl.

Relax...these things take time.

Go Vols.

6-6 is by far not the worst case for this team, winning three conference games is a bit of a stretch imho. Losing every conference game again this season isn't out of the question

It's the first game of the year against a pretty good team. Yea we made their defense look better than they most likely are but their offense is top notch. Were young and have a new coach, everyone is trying to find their fitting on this team, players and coaches. I don't think it's all doom and gloom, they will get better as the season goes along, it can't be worse than last year. Honestly I think Bama, Auburn, and UGA are the only sure fire losses, I think the rest of the schedule are winnable games, they will have to improve and play at their best but they can beat the other teams.

Pass rush = awful
Secondary = really, really awful
Run D = not good
Run blocking = not good
Pass blocking = awful
Passing = fair (qb improved)
Running game = ok (considering)
Special teams (all around) = not good
Tackling = not good
Play calling = fair (at best)

Lots to work on........pretty much everything on D, and blocking on O

VN Store