What's the First Game You Remember?

I grew up in Chicago, and traveled to Knoxville for a family reunion in August of 1997. This was my first time in the state of TN, and I loved it. I vividly remember sitting on the living room floor of my dad's cousin's house, watching the Vols whoop on Texas Tech. I remember seeing Manning and Price connect on a few big plays (and thinking Peerless was a funny name). When we left town that trip, we bought some Vols gear, and I've been a fan ever since.

Reactions: 1 person
I grew up in Chicago, and traveled to Knoxville for a family reunion in August of 1997. This was my first time in the state of TN, and I loved it. I vividly remember sitting on the living room floor of my dad's cousin's house, watching the Vols whoop on Texas Tech. I remember seeing Manning and Price connect on a few big plays (and thinking Peerless was a funny name). When we left town that trip, we bought some Vols gear, and I've been a fan ever since.

I've always wondered how people from other states become Vols fans.

The first CFB game I attended with a friend and unaccompanied by an adult was Auburn at GT, Oct. 21, 1967. Auburn won, 28-10.

The first Tennessee game I attended in person was Sept. 21, 1974. I was a freshman. The Vols defeated Kansas, 17-3. It was Condredge Holloway's senior season, and I attended all of the home games except UCLA and Bama.

The first game I attended: Tennessee 23 Iowa State 21 during the World's Fair in 1982.

The first game I remember watching on television: Tennessee 28 Wisconsin 21 in the 1981 Garden State Bowl.

IIRC it was 1987 or 1988 at Neyland & We were up 45-0. I asked my dad who we were playing and he replied, " Son, it is a crappy team from Nashville called Vanderbilt." First UT memory I recall when I was 5 yrs. old

Pepper that might have been my first game to ever see at Neyland I was 10-11 years old.. Andy Kelly years I believe could be wrong.. I remember watching the Pitt game in 83 when I was 5, Johnnie Jones was my favorite player..

Memphis in 1996. I'm still bitter about that one.

Live here and was in the middle of the that mess also.. was sad and happy for a team at the same time I had really mixed emotions with that game, it sure did cost Tennessee a lot.. Fulmer and his conservative ways played right into that upset..

Pepper that might have been my first game to ever see at Neyland I was 10-11 years old.. Andy Kelly years I believe could be wrong.. I remember watching the Pitt game in 83 when I was 5, Johnnie Jones was my favorite player..

I loved the Andy Kelly years... We played so many close games. They didn't always go our way but that was some exciting football.

Reactions: 3 people
It was around 1966, I think, and I was 10 yrs old in the early fall. It was only a JV game. We sat thru it in the rain.

But ... it was Tennessee and Notre Dame, LEGENDARY programs. My eyes were big as saucers.

Then we did it again for Tennessee and Army.

Dad, thank you for taking the trouble to introduce those 3 little boys to that world.

Last edited:
UT & AU, Bill Battle vs Shug Jordan mid 1973. I was really young and it was my first game. Conredge Holloway, Haskell Stanback, Good guys 21-0.

UT vs. Wake Forest in 1985. I was nine at the time, my parents took me with my Dad's co-workers. What I remember most about the game was sitting in the upper deck, around AA/BB. There were a couple of fellas that got into a slug fest and they rolled down the steps, almost over the railing.

The first, and only, bowl game I attended was against Boston College in 92. I distinctly remember a lot of 'blue hairs' wearing Pitt gear. They weren't very happy with the Fulmer/Majors change.

Pretty sure it was the 1979 Bluebonnet Bowl against Purdue(?), I think. I was 8 and Jimmy Streater was the QB and my new hero, even tho UT lost

Wonderful memories,everyone! My first TV game was 1957 Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor( lost 13-0), and first Neyland Stadium game was 1966 against Ole Miss( another loss 14-7). Wonderful times as the Vols grew better and better under Doug Dickey. A favorite memory is the 1970 Sugar Bowl against Air Force. A group of guys left Cumberland County with seven or eight inches of snow on the ground and headed for New Orleans to root for our heroes,who did us proud!! Not being very sophisticated,we failed to make room accommodations,and when we found one motel room about fifty miles from New Orleans,we slept seventeen fans in that room. Not much rest,but we were loud and proud at the game the next day! Wow,thanks,guys. If I could sing I would break into Bob Hope's "Thanks For The Memories". GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 2 people
Wow!!! That 65 Bluebonnet Bowl is the first one I remember too. It was pouring rain in Houston (pre AstroDome!) and my family was watching on a fuzzy-pictured B&W TV at my grandparents farm in Dickson! I was 7. The first game I went to was that 66 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville! Been hooked ever since. GO BIG ORANGE!!! 🍊🏈💥👍

I saw this muddy Bluebonnet Bowl on a B&W TV while standing in Sears in Jackson. First one of my recollection was the previous game at Memphis Memorial Stadium when UT beat UCLA 37-34.

For me, I have been going to Vol games as young as a year old. I remember falling asleep at a game on Rocky Top when I was 5, haha. I think I was just overwhelmed with all of the noise. It wasn't until I was about 11 until I really understood everything about the game, and could truly immerse myself in Tennessee Football.

VN Store

Back