What's the First Game You Remember?

I remember watching Dewey Warren play a few games, but my Mom and Grandma were making too much noise to remember details. I also remember Curt Watson blocking an extra point with his face. As to exact details, the voices in my head won't allow me to recall them. Maybe when they shut up, I can do better.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a certain beauty to a shutout, particularly when the opponent is the Commode flushers. We did, indeed, defeat them at home 45-0 in '91 and 49-20 in 1990. I don't remember whether Vandy tacked on some cosmetic scores at the end of the latter game. Scores in the late '80s, however, were much closer, 38-36 in 1987, which actually involved us digging ourselves out of a massive 28-3 deficit at the end of the first quarter, and 14-7 and 17-10 in '88 and '89, respectively.

It must have been 1990 then, thanks.

When UT beat Miami in the Sugar bowl. :dance2: I saw it at my Papaws house!!! I sure miss that ol fellow:sad:

Reactions: 2 people
That would be a game with Auburn in Birmingham. 1959 I was eight years old. I lived in Alabama then and my uncle heard my say something about Alabama. He said I was born in Knoxville and I was a Tennessee fan. He took me to the game, and I have bled Orange since. Love me some VOLS!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Bama '95 is the first game I remember watching live and actually following along/caring about the outcome.

My dad was career Navy, so we were always someplace where the Tennessee games weren't on TV. I have a vague memory of my dad watching a game when I was about 7 or 8 and we were stationed in Pensacola.

We always checked the scores in the paper Sunday morning (sometimes Monday morning, depending where we were). First game I remember vividly was the 1979 Bluebonnet Bowl vs. Purdue, which was shown on TV when we were living in Hawaii. I was 14 years-old.

UT vs. South Carolina where Tee broke the record for consecutive complete passes, I think. Leaving the game, we got out and where in front of the USC Bus, I was a passenger and noticed Lou Holtz in the bus. I can't swear to this but it looked like he was still fuming and moving his arms and hands all around while talking to his team, and 15 year old me with my brother in the car mooned him on a dare, the team looked they noticed a dodge neon up in front of them with two pale white hams in the rear window and he turned to look and got even more irate. As a kid I thought it was the funniest thing ever....as an adult I am quite ashamed but still slightly amused.

UT vs. South Carolina where Tee broke the record for consecutive complete passes, I think. Leaving the game, we got out and where in front of the USC Bus, I was a passenger and noticed Lou Holtz in the bus. I can't swear to this but it looked like he was still fuming and moving his arms and hands all around while talking to his team, and 15 year old me with my brother in the car mooned him on a dare, the team looked they noticed a dodge neon up in front of them with two pale white hams in the rear window and he turned to look and got even more irate. As a kid I thought it was the funniest thing ever....as an adult I am quite ashamed but still slightly amused.

Brad Scott was the head coach at SC in 1998

I would have to say the Peyton Manning era I was probably about 9 or 10. Don't remember an exact game but at Tennessee Peyton was a household name all over the country. Being young I just remember being drawn to that Tennessee orange.

A LOT of radio games in the mid 60s but first game I recall start to finish, Richmond Flowers led 1968 Vols beat Bear Bryant's Bama 10-9.

First UT game attended was vs gtech in the early 80s. It was a shootout ending in a 3-3 or 6-6 tie.

First game I remember all of was 1999 vs. Notre Dame. Tickets were so high scalping and a student snuck us in at halftime for, I wanna say, 300 bucks. We had no real tickets so we stood in the isle way and moved from spot to spot. I was very young and not very tall so I think an usher felt bad fo4 me and pointed us to 3 empty seats on the 50 yard line and I watched the second half. Been hooked ever since.

GBO!!!

The 1965 Bluebonnet Bowl vs. Tulsa, very vaguely. The 1966 Gator Bowl vs. a Syracuse team, led by Larry Csonka and Floyd Little, more clearly. The '67 season was the first that we listened by radio from beginning to end.

Wow!!! That 65 Bluebonnet Bowl is the first one I remember too. It was pouring rain in Houston (pre AstroDome!) and my family was watching on a fuzzy-pictured B&W TV at my grandparents farm in Dickson! I was 7. The first game I went to was that 66 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville! Been hooked ever since. GO BIG ORANGE!!! 🍊🏈💥👍

The 64' game at Vandy. We lost 7-0, but I was hooked on the Orange for good after that day. That was Dickey's first season.
That's real close to my becoming a Vol for life. I was 9 in '64 but recall coach dickey. I think battle must have coached after dickey. wasn't much TV exposure back then. Luckily I had a paper route and kept up with my Vols. Dewey Warren was my 1st fav and then Bobby Scott, both QB's but I loved the LB's UT was sending to the NFL, Nuemoff,Lucci,Reynolds,Kiner...and many others
1st night in Neyland came lots later and was a birthday present. We beat Florida 45-3 with old ball coach standing on their sideline. I'LL have to look up the year on that one. It's a good day to be a VOL!

1979 Tennessee vs. Auburn....

Gary Moore ran the opening KO back and Da Vols never looked back....I believe Joe Cribbs and James Brooks were Auburn's running backs....We were probably sitting in II or JJ...Moore ran straight at us...Neyland went crazy....

I was overwhelmed when I walked up the ramp and saw the field...been a Vol fan ever since...:salute:

Greatest thrill in Neyland was the '84 Alabama game...followed in a close 2nd by the '97 Georgia game when Jamaal ran for some 230 yards against the puppies...

Reactions: 5 people
1979 Tennessee vs. Auburn....

Gary Moore ran the opening KO back and Da Vols never looked back....I believe Joe Cribbs and James Brooks were Auburn's running backs....We were probably sitting in II or JJ...Moore ran straight at us...Neyland went crazy....

I was overwhelmed when I walked up the ramp and saw the field...been a Vol fan ever since...:salute:

Greatest thrill in Neyland was the '84 Alabama game...followed in a close 2nd by the '97 Georgia game when Jamaal ran for some 230 yards against the puppies...

James Brooks played 9 seasons at Auburn...or so it seemed.

My earliest memory is a Kentucky game in the late 60's or ealy 70's where Bobby Majors had a punt return TD and Conrad Graham intercepted a pitch out and scored. He was a DB I Believe. First game attended was a Duke game at Neyland in 1974, here again I think. Most memorable was the Jimmy Streeter Notre Dame game. The vols won 40-17. Hubert Simpson ran over everybody that day!!
:lolabove:

My first game was that Duke game. We lost.
Hubert I saw at Flanigan's the night of that Notre Dame game. I think he had five TDs up the middle. I asked him if he was sore. He said "Nah".

I was screwing around on the internet this morning and somehow found my way to the Sugar Vols replay video. I've heard about the game a lot and have seen many times, but I don't remember it. . . I was 6 years old.

I started trying to think of the first game I actually remember, without being told about it from someone else or only just remembering flashes of the game. I remember being 6-8 years old and listening to John Ward call the plays, watching a game on t.v and some flashes of plays, but I can't remember which game it was.

The first game I actually remember seeing must've been around 1989, when we beat Auburn, who was pretty good that year. I've been a Vol fan before I knew what being a fan was, but that's the first game I remember clearly for myself.

What's the first game you remember clearly?

When that game happened, i was -2 years old. :lol:
But i watched it all on Youtube. I watch alot of old games. Especially in the offseason.

I can remember my dad always watching Peyton Manning, but at the time i was only about 10. I used to watch a blip or two with him. But never really followed football until i played it when i was about 12. But the first actual game i can remember just sitting and watching all the way was the 2001 Tennessee vs LSU game. I remember it because i had went to Myrtle beach with my parents in late september or early october, i cant remember. Just a little 3 or 4 day weekend trip because we only lived 4 hours from it and rates were cheaper, but i can remember it was right after 9/11 and they had all these American flags everywhere. It was a night game, and my dad and i stayed up watching the game. Good times.

But on a side note, Speaking on the Sugar Vols. My wife found this hoodie in a goodwill discount bin a couple months ago. $1.50 and its her size.Shes a Clemson alum/fan, but she always cheers for the Vols in all their games. :rock:

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1

VN Store

Back