What's the First Game You Remember?

Wonderful memories,everyone! My first TV game was 1957 Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor( lost 13-0), and first Neyland Stadium game was 1966 against Ole Miss( another loss 14-7). Wonderful times as the Vols grew better and better under Doug Dickey. A favorite memory is the 1970 Sugar Bowl against Air Force. A group of guys left Cumberland County with seven or eight inches of snow on the ground and headed for New Orleans to root for our heroes,who did us proud!! Not being very sophisticated,we failed to make room accommodations,and when we found one motel room about fifty miles from New Orleans,we slept seventeen fans in that room. Not much rest,but we were loud and proud at the game the next day! Wow,thanks,guys. If I could sing I would break into Bob Hope's "Thanks For The Memories". GO VOLS!!

It really is pretty awesome to read everyone's stories, I didn't think it would be so interesting when I started this thread. I'm really glad for everyone who has posted so far and I hope those who haven't posted yet will take a couple minutes to tell us their story too.

Reactions: 2 people
97 citrus bowl was the first football game I ever sat down and watched. My Dad isn't too big into sports.

Reactions: 1 person
First game I witnessed in person was 69 UT/Memphis State blow out. Not much competitive fire from the Tigers that day. :lol:

Reactions: 1 person
My first game was 1982 against Alabama with my granddad. I remember he bought me an orange balloon and I was suppose to let it go when the team ran out on the field. I also remember hearing John Ward and Bill Anderson call the game as press box window was open and our seats were right in front of it.

Reactions: 5 people
Late 60's vs. Georgia Tech. My father took me when I was around 6 or 7. Sam & Andy's Deli left as much impression on me as the game I think. Ordered a sandwich I had never heard of because the guy behind the counter yelling at everyone for their order so I just hurried up and said one of them. Best thing I had ever tasted. Ate there pretty much every time I went to game until it closed. Either Dewey Warren or Bobby Scott was the QB. Vols won!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed looking through all these classic games and memories. Unfortunately, I wasn't around for most of them. I was 10 years old in 2003 and remember going to Neyland with my dad to watch the Vols open up against Marshall. My dad has had season tickets for a couple decades in section O but we traded up for seats behind the team sideline near where visiting fans sit. The reason I mention it was that happen to be the game where Marshall's mascot got in a fight with our drum major (allegedly over one of the UT cheerleaders). Not sure if y'all remember that story? I remember riding home in the car and reports of the story on the radio. Definitely a first game to remember.

VN Store

Back