What's the First Game You Remember?

My earliest memory is a Kentucky game in the late 60's or ealy 70's where Bobby Majors had a punt return TD and Conrad Graham intercepted a pitch out and scored. He was a DB I Believe. First game attended was a Duke game at Neyland in 1974, here again I think. Most memorable was the Jimmy Streeter Notre Dame game. The vols won 40-17. Hubert Simpson ran over everybody that day!!
:lolabove:

1971 Stoll Field, Lexington, KY. We have high school stadiums larger than Stoll Field.

Reactions: 2 people
1965 Ole Miss, Liberty Bowl, on ABC. Lost 14-13. Charlie Fulton got hurt and the legend of the Swamp Rat was born.

Reactions: 1 person
1982 Tennessee vs Alabama
I was 7 at the time, I remember my dad and I jumping up and down with pure unbridled joy listening to John Ward count down the last seconds to victory over the crimson tide.

listened to a lot of games on the transistor radio in the early to mid sixties but the one that truly hooked me for good was the 1965 game against UCLA when Dewey" the Swamp Rat" Warren engineered a heck of a win 37-34.

I think that was the beginning of a great history of games with UCLA. That particular game was very controversial from both teams perspective. UCLA was very sore losers &
made some serious public allegations about officiating not to mention some of their players reactions where they basically assaulted Bobby Petrella on their sideline requiring him to get 12 stitches to his head.

Liked that series and wouldn't mind seeing it resume occasionally.

It was Warrens third start. it was also a very emotional season because of the fact that we had lost 3 assistant coaches when they were killed in an accident with a car vs train about 2 or 3 weeks earlier.

I have 2, UT vs Army was the 1st football game I saw in person. Would have been 1985-ish. I was about 13 and went with my dad who was an Air Force fighter pilot and then later flew for TNANG. He (and as a result I) loved the service academies and knew I'd be impressed with the paratroopers landing on the field at that age (man, he was right!). Beautiful afternoon, UT lost but I was hooked. The year before (I think) was the Sugar Bowl rout of Miami. That night was the same night as my grandmother's funeral service and my whole family gathered at my grandfather's to visit. The game was on in a back room initially but very quickly moved to the living room as the Vols gave my whole family a reason to cheer on an otherwise difficult night.. My blood has run orange ever since. GBO!!

1974 UT vs. Maryland in the Liberty Bowl with my mom&dad. I was 11 years old. Froze my butt off - but UT won and we enjoyed ourselves.

1990 cotton bowl...Vs Arkansas who was then in the Southwest Conference I believe.

Chuck Webb (RB) - Offensive MVP
Carl Pickens (WR) - Defensive MVP

Both ranked in top-10.

Andy Kelly's bootleg and then pass to Anthony Miller was a thing of beauty.

Duke @ Tennessee 1988 26-31 Spurrier wins..

My first game in Knoxville. 12 years old. I remember my dad complaining about Shazzon Bradley missing tackles..

Miracle at south bend 1991. I remember my Dad jumping up and down in the living room with overalls on bc he went to work in the yard at halftime. We were down 31-14 I think at the half.
Side story, I went to work in the yard at halftime of the UF game last year......an we came back to win. Needless to say my yard is going to be in prestine condition this Fall.

I remember every Sunday evening watching The Bill Battle Show with my brother. I was 11 years old. We listened to the broadcast of every game. But the first game I attended was UT/Ole Miss in Memphis.

1984 Tennessee vs Army. Paratroopers landed on the field prior to kickoff. I also attended Memphis State and Kentucky that year. I have been a faithful Vol ever since.

The 1982 Bama game. I remember Bear Bryant leaning against the goal post watching warm-ups. It was my first game and my brother got me a student ticket. The World's Fair was going on and it was the first time in twelve years we beat Bama. I still have a piece of the goal post.

Reactions: 2 people
Easy enough.. Candyland.

1496867315-screen-shot-2017-06-07-at-42822-pm.png

Reactions: 5 people
Look at this. . . I go out for a few hours and you guys turn this into an incredible thread! Thanks for all the stories. I hope more members and lurkers will post their stories, I love reading them.

When UT beat Miami in the Sugar bowl. :dance2: I saw it at my Papaws house!!! I sure miss that ol fellow:sad:

Every time I see a documentary about Jimmy Johnson and the Miami Hurricanes, they always omit the part about how the Vols kicked their teeth in. In some ways that was more satisfying than the 98 national championship.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee @ Arkansas 2001 in the pouring rain. First UT game I ever went to. I was 8 years old. We took a charter bus to fayetteville with a bunch of Arkansas fans and friends. We were jumpin through the puddles celebrating. Coldest 3 hour ride home ever, but I didn't care!

I also remember the 2001 FL game pretty vividly, but the one I remember most is the SECCG against LSU. Heartbreak sticks with you the longest, I guess. :cray:

First game I remember watching on TV was 1967 I think...I was 8...it was USC vs (somebody)...and I remember at the time I thought you *had* to go to the school closest to where you were born. I was born at Edward AFB in California...(my dad was a career pilot in the USAF) and I thought I had to go to USC...funny how kids think about things!
We went overseas again for the next 2 years and when we came back we were up in Washington, DC...so there was no memory of college football at that time, only the Washington Redskins...
We moved to Knoxville in 1973(my dad was from Corryton but we first moved to west Knoxville) and I remember raking the leaves in the yard and would have a radio on listening to John Ward call the games...those were really good memories!
We moved to Corryton (and I went to Gibbs HS) in 1974...and then I FINALLY get to go to a Tennessee game...
I was on the football team and we went to collect money at the LSU game for the FCA...Steve Morton and I were at a gate near the front of the stadium and who should pull up but the Governor Ray Blanton! Steve got to him first and Blanton threw in a few bucks...well, I had to hit him up too and Blanton looked annoyed and threw in some change...and action like that today would get him removed from office!
Later that same year my oldest brother took me to the North Texas State game...we wanted to leave early to beat traffic and we did leave after UT tied up the mean green...as we were walking out of the stadium as UT kicked off...we could hear the roar...and then the incredible silence as North Texas state ran the KO back for a TD...the UT player who missed the tackle was Billy Arbo...a big time recruit from Webb School in Knoxville...and Gibbs played them in 74 I think and we saw Arbo...heckuva player!
I know that's way more than the 'first game you remember' but hey, I was on a roll! :)

I remember being at my Aunts house in 1967 when I was 5 years old. I was left by myself in the TV room while the adults were in the dining room.

On TV was a Note Dame game and I was cheering them on. My Aunt entered the room, changed the channel and said; "We do NOT cheer for Note Dame in this house!".

Reactions: 3 people
First game I remember watching on TV was 1967 I think...I was 8...it was USC vs (somebody)...and I remember at the time I thought you *had* to go to the school closest to where you were born. I was born at Edward AFB in California...(my dad was a career pilot in the USAF) and I thought I had to go to USC...funny how kids think about things!
We went overseas again for the next 2 years and when we came back we were up in Washington, DC...so there was no memory of college football at that time, only the Washington Redskins...
We moved to Knoxville in 1973(my dad was from Corryton but we first moved to west Knoxville) and I remember raking the leaves in the yard and would have a radio on listening to John Ward call the games...those were really good memories!
We moved to Corryton (and I went to Gibbs HS) in 1974...and then I FINALLY get to go to a Tennessee game...
I was on the football team and we went to collect money at the LSU game for the FCA...Steve Morton and I were at a gate near the front of the stadium and who should pull up but the Governor Ray Blanton! Steve got to him first and Blanton threw in a few bucks...well, I had to hit him up too and Blanton looked annoyed and threw in some change...and action like that today would get him removed from office!
Later that same year my oldest brother took me to the North Texas State game...we wanted to leave early to beat traffic and we did leave after UT tied up the mean green...as we were walking out of the stadium as UT kicked off...we could hear the roar...and then the incredible silence as North Texas state ran the KO back for a TD...the UT player who missed the tackle was Billy Arbo...a big time recruit from Webb School in Knoxville...and Gibbs played them in 74 I think and we saw Arbo...heckuva player!
I know that's way more than the 'first game you remember' but hey, I was on a roll! :)

That was . . . awesome.

1979 Bluebonnet Bowl loss to Purdue.

I was 9. Family lived in Lake Charles, LA and we drove over for the game.

Living in LA also allowed me to attend the mid 80's 24 all tie at LSU and the 1985 Sugar Bowl.

VN Store

Back