Whats Acceptable Anymore

Label me a negavol, don't care. But I have to ask the question. Whats acceptable for Tennessee Vol Football??? We all agreed that Dooley needed to go, especially after the regression in year 3. What have we seen from Butch Jones to make us feel that won't happen again.

When you look at the numbers, they doesn't appear to be a big difference.

DD vs ranked -17.7 points
BJ vs ranked -18.1 points

DD vs SEC -9.6 points
BJ vs SEC -8.1 points

After watching the Missouri game, I feel like I am watching the Dooley project all over again. And before someone starts the "were young" crap, its college football. You don't get to keep them for 8 to 10 years. I am ok with that argument in week 3 or 4 but week 12 is nonsense. What position group has noticeably improved. Still waiting???

I know everyone likes the recruiting part of it but is Dooley had solid classes. And lets not forget that Muschamp and Weiss could recruit, how did that work out for them.

I honestly believe that we as a fan base have ex-girlfriend syndrome. We get rid of old and fat Fulmer for young and sharp dressed Lane. Then Lane leaves and we want a dependable guy that will never leave us, Dooley. Then he pisses off the former players and cant get the job done, so we want a likeable guy who embraces our program, Butch. All along, we sacrificed the main point. Can he get the job done. And now that it appears that Butch might not be the guy, we start the excuse mood and blame the guys that were here before him.

Can anyone truly say they have no doubts??? If Butch couldn't recruit any better than top 20 classes, would his seat be the same temp?

I am tired of the acceptance of each coach, as long as he is not like the last one. Look at Texas, or Arkansas. Did it take them years to create a culture shift. No, but we'll keep waiting on our frog to turn into a prince. All along, surviving in a a weak East and allowing Florida to come to that discover years before us.

Hips don't lie! Amen

Butch is a great recruiter and representative of our program but... Hes just a flat out terrible coach. He never has a creative game plan to try to exploit our opponents weaknesses. Saturday was another example of that. They have a great front four so what do we do? Run up the middle and throw short dump passes all night. We should have thrown the ball down the field intermediate distances and run some screen passes. I think Butch kinda has this idea that in several years he won't have to out scheme anyone because we'll have more talent than our opponents but this is the sec. Not the big East. Bama, Florida, and uga are always going to have great talent. And then of course there is the fact that we basically said we didn't want the ball late in the first half. We could have used tos and gotten the ball back with nearly 3 minutes. Had we tried to take advantage of all our possessions the int might I have been so big at the end. Hes a great guy and great recruiter. Hes just not a very good coach

Amen # 2

I guess I can see your position. Admitting I'm right would require you to change your profile name. That's got to be difficult to accept. Good luck with that

I'm keeping this one until I die...you affect nothing...deal with it. If Butch can't get the job done...he gets fired. Quit pretending that you have any insight above the rest of the posters. You give up and whine...that's a weakness, not a virtue.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm keeping this one until I die...you affect nothing...deal with it. If Butch can't get the job done...he gets fired. Quit pretending that you have any insight above the rest of the posters. You give up and whine...that's a weakness, not a virtue.

I haven't said I have any insight. Jeeze. I've just expressed my opinion. I think hes so freaking conservative he's costs us several games we should have win. And I think that trend will continue. I don't want it to. I don't post in a vol message board, wear tn gear, and go to as many games as possible because I don't like the Vols. I'm just as big of a fan as anyone in this board. I just believe that Butch has so far proven to be a very bad decision maker and game manager. We'll see what happens

Reactions: 4 people
I haven't said I have any insight. Jeeze. I've just expressed my opinion. I think hes so freaking conservative he's costs us several games we should have win. And I think that trend will continue. I don't want it to. I don't post in a vol message board, wear tn gear, and go to as many games as possible because I don't like the Vols. I'm just as big of a fan as anyone in this board. I just believe that Butch has so far proven to be a very bad decision maker and game manager. We'll see what happens

You started a thread where you stated it as a fact that Butch wouldn't get it done...don't backtrack now and try to state that's something you hope doesn't happen...I'm not tired of you and people like you...I'm used to you and people like you...the acceptance and familiarity with your ilk beats me down...my only consolation is that when we start winning...whoever the coach is...you go away.

Reactions: 5 people

That fake FG was pretty conservative...

Listen- you sound foolish. Butch is recruiting well and creating a culture - this will lead to more tangible results in the future.

Given this team's relative youth and lack of depth, the fact that you are fixated on play calling has me questioning whether you know what the heck you're talking about

Reactions: 2 people
You started a thread where you stated it as a fact that Butch wouldn't get it done...don't backtrack now and try to state that's something you hope doesn't happen...I'm not tired of you and people like you...I'm used to you and people like you...the acceptance and familiarity with your ilk beats me down...my only consolation is that when we start winning...whoever the coach is...you go away.

I started a thread stating that bases off what we've seen so far I don't think he's ever going to return us to prominence. I didn't say I don't want him to. There's a difference. Look whether you are willing to admit it at this point or not we've lost virtually every winnable game he's coached in. And in ever loss he's made conservative calls that cost us. And why the hell would me and people like me go away when we start Winning. Do you think anyone on this board critical of Butch doesn't want to win. We're all vol fans. Some of us are just dissapointed and have vented in here

I started a thread stating that bases off what we've seen so far I don't think he's ever going to return us to prominence. I didn't say I don't want him to. There's a difference. Look whether you are willing to admit it at this point or not we've lost virtually every winnable game he's coached in. And in ever loss he's made conservative calls that cost us. And why the hell would me and people like me go away when we start Winning. Do you think anyone on this board critical of Butch doesn't want to win. We're all vol fans. Some of us are just dissapointed and have vented in here

YOUR OWN WORDS...NOT STATED AS AN OPINION!!

Butch Jones... How much longer
Serious question. People will blast me as a negavol ect. But like it or not... HE'S NOT GOING TO RETURN US TO PROMINENCE . Hes a great recruiter but a terrible tactician. And he's just one of these guys that scared to death of life. Like the guy in the highway that slams on his brakes in the middle of an intersection when the light turns yellow. I've been in the fence about him but I'm not anymore. We've lost almost every winable game he's coached in while here. The two he won (sc) both took miraculous comebacks that never should have been required. We were firmly in control of both games in the second half before getting conservative and trying to run out the clock. Last night we saw an example of a great coach. They got the ball off a to late in the game while leading and put their foot on our throats and won.

So two questions...Who's next and how much longer before we can afford to part with Butch? Serious questions so please don't merge...

Can't even keep track of your bull ...as I said winning will make us happy and repair you to your hole...win win!! :yess:

Butch's\OC's play calling didn't have a thing to do with some of the bad decisions made by the QB in the game. Dobb's is gonna be a baller for us. I have no doubt about that, but he made some bad decisions the other night. Butch's play calling had nothing to do with passes that were dropped. Nothing to do with fumbles that were lost. If anything.......those occurances might have had something to do with his play calling. The "team" did not play their best game Saturday. Their young, it happens.

Not letting the coaches off scott free though. There were a couple of calls that could have been better.

If I only had a dollar for every thread that states "call me a negavol but....." In the OP

I understand your doubts. I have mine at times. Year 4 will tell all on this coaching staff on whether hes capable or not. Next year we should win some big games but still we will be young compared to where this program was when we were dominant in the 90s. When TN was a powerhouse year after year we had a stable full of NFL talent sitting on the bench. Players got to develop and learn from upper classmen while red shirting, staying healthy, and getting stronger in the weight room. Right now our young guys are beat to hell and fighting or a bowl game. The best thing TN can do is keep Butch 6 years regardless so our roster is rebuilt. If we keep firing coaches we will get no where.

Reactions: 1 person
NegaVol Nation STAND UP !

Not saying I 100% agree with OP, but it's funny to see everyone get riled up. I enjoy a good pot stirring as much as anyone, and for the commotion you have caused this evening with some factual statistics--I applaud you, sir.

YOUR OWN WORDS...NOT STATED AS AN OPINION!!

Butch Jones... How much longer
Serious question. People will blast me as a negavol ect. But like it or not... HE'S NOT GOING TO RETURN US TO PROMINENCE . Hes a great recruiter but a terrible tactician. And he's just one of these guys that scared to death of life. Like the guy in the highway that slams on his brakes in the middle of an intersection when the light turns yellow. I've been in the fence about him but I'm not anymore. We've lost almost every winable game he's coached in while here. The two he won (sc) both took miraculous comebacks that never should have been required. We were firmly in control of both games in the second half before getting conservative and trying to run out the clock. Last night we saw an example of a great coach. They got the ball off a to late in the game while leading and put their foot on our throats and won.

So two questions...Who's next and how much longer before we can afford to part with Butch? Serious questions so please don't merge...

Can't even keep track of your bull ...as I said winning will make us happy and repair you to your hole...win win!! :yess:
Dude, outside of your smart ass remarks and replies (in almost every thread you reply in), exactly what insight have you given to bolster an argument either way? I mean seriously. You don't post anything with insight, fact, fiction or otherwise that contributes to the discussion. Your either insulting someone or making some kind witty remark that does nothing more than stir the pot.

I mean its pretty freaking obvious that winning will make us happy. Do you have anything that's based on fact, or heck even something that you have made up, that refutes his post?

I'm not saying that I agree with him because I don't. I'd just like to see you post something that's not slathered in sarcasm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Label me a negavol, don't care. But I have to ask the question. Whats acceptable for Tennessee Vol Football??? We all agreed that Dooley needed to go, especially after the regression in year 3. What have we seen from Butch Jones to make us feel that won't happen again.

DD vs SEC -9.6 points
BJ vs SEC -8.1 points

After watching the Missouri game, I feel like I am watching the Dooley project all over again. And before someone starts the "were young" crap, its college football. You don't get to keep them for 8 to 10 years. I am ok with that argument in week 3 or 4 but week 12 is nonsense. What position group has noticeably improved. Still waiting???

I know everyone likes the recruiting part of it but is Dooley had solid classes. And lets not forget that Muschamp and Weiss could recruit, how did that work out for them.

I honestly believe that we as a fan base have ex-girlfriend syndrome. We get rid of old and fat Fulmer for young and sharp dressed Lane. Then Lane leaves and we want a dependable guy that will never leave us, Dooley. Then he pisses off the former players and cant get the job done, so we want a likeable guy who embraces our program, Butch. All along, we sacrificed the main point. Can he get the job done. And now that it appears that Butch might not be the guy, we start the excuse mood and blame the guys that were here before him.

Can anyone truly say they have no doubts??? If Butch couldn't recruit any better than top 20 classes, would his seat be the same temp?

I am tired of the acceptance of each coach, as long as he is not like the last one. Look at Texas, or Arkansas. Did it take them years to create a culture shift. No, but we'll keep waiting on our frog to turn into a prince. All along, surviving in a a weak East and allowing Florida to come to that discover years before us.

Ha, you actually used Charlie Weiss as an argument for your case, that proves you really are a fool. Lol.

Dude, outside of your smart ass remarks and replies (in almost every thread you reply in), exactly what insight have you given to bolster an argument either way? I mean seriously. You don't post anything with insight, fact, fiction or otherwise that contributes to the discussion. Your either insulting someone or making some kind witty remark that does nothing more than stir the pot.

I mean its pretty freaking obvious that winning will make us happy. Do you have anything that's based on fact, or heck even something that you have made up, that refutes his post?

I'm not saying that I agree with him because I don't. I'd just like to see you post something that's not slathered in sarcasm.

Because I believe in waiting before willy nilly firing ANOTHER coach doesn't make my opinion less valid than your hotheaded approach. I believe giving our coaches an actual sample size is reasonable...sorry you don't agree...no, lying ...you don't matter to me...I don't care if you value my views. In actuality your contempt of them validates me...I don't respect your garbage or in essence you...you skulk and slither through these threads and despise your entire existence. No offense ...please put me on ignore...It'd be like a Christmas or Kwanzaa present.

Reactions: 1 person

DD vs SEC -9.6 points
BJ vs SEC -8.1 points

So at this very snapshot in time, what do you suggest that our AD and Boo$ters do? No more complaining, just solutions.

Let's hear them.

Let's convince Freak to create a NegaVol Forum. Threads like these could be moved there so we could have some choice to view and comment as desired

My biggest issue with this year is that we left three winnable games on the field, including two home games, where we were favored. We should have won at least one of those. Losing games that we're expected to win-- and had the opportunity to win-- is unacceptable moving forward, IMO.

I hoped to go 7-5 this year, with improvement, but I think most of us can roll with 7-6, including a bowl win. Coaches can't set a goal of getting to a bowl game in Year 3 and expect fans to be okay with that, though.

if people don't have some serious questions about the way jones has handled the team this year, then i guess they could care less who is coaching or winning games for that matter. verdict is still out on jones. he has shown he can recruit with the best in the country. he has also shown to be a very average coach that is going to need great players. do i ever expect him to win a SEC title, well no. maybe he will surprise me though. i still say if he doesn't win 8 games next year, time to make a switch. i can honestly say also so far he has not impressed as a coach. year 3 should answer all questions.

And to think we fired Fulmer who basically put out a team every year that won 8 plus games except for 2 years.

And to think we fired Fulmer who basically put out a team every year that won 8 plus games except for 2 years.

yeah i was one of those idiots. fulmer got lazy and i wanted to see a change, but we would have been better than this if he had got another year. fulmer was lazy the last couple years of his tenure, but if we were going to fade into mediocrity i would liked to see him at the helm. oh well can't go back in time.

VN Store

Back