Whats Acceptable Anymore

Label me a negavol, don't care. But I have to ask the question. Whats acceptable for Tennessee Vol Football??? We all agreed that Dooley needed to go, especially after the regression in year 3. What have we seen from Butch Jones to make us feel that won't happen again.

When you look at the numbers, they doesn't appear to be a big difference.

DD vs ranked -17.7 points
BJ vs ranked -18.1 points

DD vs SEC -9.6 points
BJ vs SEC -8.1 points

After watching the Missouri game, I feel like I am watching the Dooley project all over again. And before someone starts the "were young" crap, its college football. You don't get to keep them for 8 to 10 years. I am ok with that argument in week 3 or 4 but week 12 is nonsense. What position group has noticeably improved. Still waiting???

I know everyone likes the recruiting part of it but is Dooley had solid classes. And lets not forget that Muschamp and Weiss could recruit, how did that work out for them.

I honestly believe that we as a fan base have ex-girlfriend syndrome. We get rid of old and fat Fulmer for young and sharp dressed Lane. Then Lane leaves and we want a dependable guy that will never leave us, Dooley. Then he pisses off the former players and cant get the job done, so we want a likeable guy who embraces our program, Butch. All along, we sacrificed the main point. Can he get the job done. And now that it appears that Butch might not be the guy, we start the excuse mood and blame the guys that were here before him.

Can anyone truly say they have no doubts??? If Butch couldn't recruit any better than top 20 classes, would his seat be the same temp?

I am tired of the acceptance of each coach, as long as he is not like the last one. Look at Texas, or Arkansas. Did it take them years to create a culture shift. No, but we'll keep waiting on our frog to turn into a prince. All along, surviving in a a weak East and allowing Florida to come to that discover years before us.

Dude, I feel your pain but this is a thread for next year around this time. I don't think you can make this argument right now cause Dooley took over a worse situation than Lane and Butch took over a situation worse than lane and Dooley combined. Butch has his work cut for him and I expect by year 4 to be at least second in the east. Year 5.....we need to be winning it.

This thread is completely stupid. And the muschamp comparison dear god. Florida has 4 and 5 star athletes at virtually every position on the two deep. We haven't been to a bowl game for years and are starting true freshman everywhere because the older guys are awful. I have watched every game since Fulmer was the coach and if you don't see the talent difference between any of Dooleys teams and this team you really have no clue about football. Biggest issue butch has this year is talented depth. And the fact that dooley left a pile of crap at oline.

jones bad decision at QB cost us a successful season. it's called bad coaching.

jones bad decision at QB cost us a successful season. it's called bad coaching.

Just in case you didn't notice, Missouri exploited UT's weakness in the offensive line and shut down Dobbs in exactly the same way Worley was shut down earlier in the season.

Just in case you didn't notice, Missouri exploited UT's weakness in the offensive line and shut down Dobbs in exactly the same way Worley was shut down earlier in the season.

I did see that, but I also thought mizzou was a better team than we were. still think we win the Georgia game if dobbs starts and without a doubt win the florida game. still think after watching jones this year that the verdict is still out. his on field coaching is very average at best, his recruiting is great. next year things need to come together or in my opinion they never will.

at least dooley inherited a decent team. by the time butch had got here the cupboard was empty from the years of dooley not recruiting, just look at the o-line situation. don't EVER compare to Butch to Dooley. Just wait and you'll by eating crow over this post in a couple years.

at least dooley inherited a decent team. by the time butch had got here the cupboard was empty from the years of dooley not recruiting, just look at the o-line situation. don't EVER compare to Butch to Dooley. Just wait and you'll by eating crow over this post in a couple years.

right now 3 guys off our offensive line last year are starting in the nfl. yes they were just horrible.lol

And if we could throw the ball at all that would have help tremendously.

How I've missed the 60+ yard big plays TN has had.

Wow another thread comparing Dooley and Butch! My father has watched Tennessee Football since the 1950s including watching Tennessee lose to Chattanooga. He has said numerous times the Dooley years were the worst group of men Tennessee had recruited with losing mentality and the football was terrible because we knew when the game got more than 10 points we would QUIT in the second half. I seem to remember a Dooley team going down early to Alabama and never looking like they were in the game, Butch's team this year went down early, but fought back numerous times. .Dooley should have been a stop gap (see Arkansas after Petrino was fired), but instead the geniuses kept him on for 2 more years to burn the program to the ground. IMO Fulmer should never have been fired in the first place. There should have been a plan to let him retire and have a coach in waiting (like FSU and Bowden). And has anyone noticed all the NFL players coming for Duke and LSU atm. Good coaches have good assistants who recruit good players and develop them into great ones.
All that being said- Butch lost the Vandy Game last year and the Florida game this year being too conservative and i think also playing the wrong QB in the Florida game, but gave a more experienced and talented Georgia team a run for their money both years. Next year this team will find ways to win games like these.

Nearly every commentator in College Football has said there is progress and talent in Tennessee but its young. I'll take their opinions of Tennessee Football over you OP!

Reactions: 1 person
This years line problems are a direct result of Dooley's 2012 recruiting class. We're getting the talent to commit, but it doesn't happen overnight. Your lack of patience is why coaches make a boatload of money.

Not sure what will happen but schools that hire proven conference winners seem to get it done fairly quick. Rebs for example. UT likes to save money hiring up and comers and we have been down since 2005. CBJ got to step up next year with solid coaching meaning win 7+ games.

if people don't have some serious questions about the way jones has handled the team this year, then i guess they could care less who is coaching or winning games for that matter. verdict is still out on jones. he has shown he can recruit with the best in the country. he has also shown to be a very average coach that is going to need great players. do i ever expect him to win a SEC title, well no. maybe he will surprise me though. i still say if he doesn't win 8 games next year, time to make a switch. i can honestly say also so far he has not impressed as a coach. year 3 should answer all questions.
couldn't agree more. So many have a man crush on Jones and not the best football IQ

Reactions: 1 person
Free shoes u FSU plays in the almost competitive conference Texas in the big 12 & Mr Freeze isnt doin nearly as well now that their DEPTH is becoming an issue

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a team with a makeshift offensive line is going to have trouble scoring points on a consistent basis and keeping their defense off the field. Especially when playing the teams that UT has had to face this year.

The right tackle is a walk on with a torn acl. The left tackle is truly better fit to play guard. The original starting center is undersized. The guy now starting at center has limited experience. The left guard is the best on the team, but probably wouldn't start for half the teams in the SEC. To top it off, they have started 3 freshmen on the o-line this year.

You can blame CBJ all you want, but when you don't have the bodies to compete what do you expect?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a team with a makeshift offensive line is going to have trouble scoring points on a consistent basis and keeping their defense off the field. Especially when playing the teams that UT has had to face this year.

The right tackle is a walk on with a torn acl. The left tackle is truly better fit to play guard. The original starting center is undersized. The guy now starting at center has limited experience. The left guard is the best on the team, but probably wouldn't start for half the teams in the SEC. To top it off, they have started 3 freshmen on the o-line this year.

You can blame CBJ all you want, but when you don't have the bodies to compete what do you expect?

Most on here expect 500 yds a game, undefeated season, 7-8 All Americans and a happy ending after every game

Not sure what will happen but schools that hire proven conference winners seem to get it done fairly quick. Rebs for example. UT likes to save money hiring up and comers and we have been down since 2005. CBJ got to step up next year with solid coaching meaning win 7+ games.

yeah..you nailed it man....rebs coach is going to be one better than CBJ after an extra year and a much easier OCC. Wow!!

couldn't agree more. So many have a man crush on Jones and not the best football IQ

OK...so who is your man? In the past 2 days...

LSU made a come back....

Stanford spanked UCLA...who called that?

WKU beat Marshall...so what..but who called that one..

Mizzou beat the flavor of the week...Ark....hhmmmm... maybe UM is better than anyone wants to give them credit for.

teams have bad games....so I ask once again, since none of you seem to be able to answer...who with this roster, schedule and identical circumstances would have done better????

there is only one undefeated team left and their schedule is suspect...plus they've had an auburnesque year. Every other team and coach has had a bad game...really games, just may not have shown on the scoreborard.

So who is the Savior that would have made it better for UT this year...with all the identical chalenges. Please...enlighten all of us who see the progress so we can join the ranks of the enlightened.

I really wish one of you "enlightened" individuals would have the gumption to answer this question. Thus far it has been totally evaded!

This week has sucked on volnation b3 cause these threads won't die. Getting tired of waiting for threads like this to go away. One of the most boring weeks on Volnation by far.

Wow another thread comparing Dooley and Butch! My father has watched Tennessee Football since the 1950s including watching Tennessee lose to Chattanooga. He has said numerous times the Dooley years were the worst group of men Tennessee had recruited with losing mentality and the football was terrible because we knew when the game got more than 10 points we would QUIT in the second half. I seem to remember a Dooley team going down early to Alabama and never looking like they were in the game, Butch's team this year went down early, but fought back numerous times. .Dooley should have been a stop gap (see Arkansas after Petrino was fired), but instead the geniuses kept him on for 2 more years to burn the program to the ground. IMO Fulmer should never have been fired in the first place. There should have been a plan to let him retire and have a coach in waiting (like FSU and Bowden). And has anyone noticed all the NFL players coming for Duke and LSU atm. Good coaches have good assistants who recruit good players and develop them into great ones.
All that being said- Butch lost the Vandy Game last year and the Florida game this year being too conservative and i think also playing the wrong QB in the Florida game, but gave a more experienced and talented Georgia team a run for their money both years. Next year this team will find ways to win games like these.

Nearly every commentator in College Football has said there is progress and talent in Tennessee but its young. I'll take their opinions of Tennessee Football over you OP!

90 % of the posters on here see the progress. The other 10% I don't really pay them any mind. They are like vandy to me during the 90s.

VN Store

Back