DD vs SEC 22 to 26
BJ vs SEC 18 to 31

Year Two
DD vs SEC 12 to 28
BJ vs SEC 23 to 25

Year Three
DD vs SEC 31 to 40
BJ ???

I wont argue that year two was not good for DD by this was when Tyler Bray was inserted into the line up and the average points against SEC went way up. Of course, so did the points. But my basic point was that Butch's second year looks more like DD's first year. If we look at how this trends out for year three, can you really expect the Vols to put up the points DD did? And if AJ gone against Missouri gave us a sneak at our defense for next year.

I just dont know how Muschamp gets the axe at Florida with a winning record and we think 5-7 or 6-6 in year two of Butch is acceptable. Hell, Texas will be ahead of us by the end of the year.

The numbers are 1) from a small sample size, and 2) contradict your argument. Also, if Texas is ahead of us, it will be because they cut out the middle man (or two in our case), and got themselves a good coach before the talent really started to fall off. I like your commitment to your opinion, though.

I tell you what I think. I think you are a closet fan of another team wanting to stir up dissention among this team so Butch will feel like he needs to leave. Sorry Bud, Tennessee is competitive unlike any of Dooley's teams were. Butch is here to stay and will have Tennessee competing for the East next year.

You dreamt up quite the scenario.

we are at a turning point that will hinge on getting to a bowl. Also, we need some more quality players and depth, specifically on the OL and DL in order to compete with the big boys. I blame all our coaches from the past for this issue. If we make a bowl, then I will have more patience. If not then I will lose some confidence in bUTch and Co.

I definitely see the progress toward a new attitude and toughness. This team doesn't quit. Dooley's teams would have quit in the USCjr game, the Bama game, and the MO game after getting down big. There was no quit from this team in those games.

Dooley went backwards in year 3 after making some limited progress. I will at least give bUTch another year before I lose the faith.

The cupboard was left completely empty when Dooley left. When CBJ has a team filled with his recruits, complain then.

Why? Why do we have to wait until there's a complete personnel roll over? Do you realize that Jones has NEVER coached more than two of his own recruiting classes in a game? Why didn't Freeze have to have a roster filled with his recruits to compete in the MUCH tougher West? His cupboard was FAR... FAR more bare than the one Jones inherited.

I like him. I want him to be successful.... I like ALOT of what he's done. But don't ask me to accept the notion that UT's rebuild is SO much harder than many others that were VERY apparent by year 3.

Was the "cupboard" more bare than when Franklin took over at Vandy?

What will you say if Arkansas beats Mizzou this weekend? Will you try the totally inane argument that Bielema inherited a better situation?

I am 100% for Jones being a success at UT. I am 100% hopeful that he will. I am also 100% AGAINST the stench of defeatism that emanates from the excuses being made here.

Reactions: 8 people
7-5 Definite progress; happy fans; excited for next year
6-6 Goal achieved; content fans; optimistic for next year
5-7 Goal not achieved; pissed off fans; negative rants and hot seat talk

Next year, 7-5 is the lowest acceptable, IMO. Most hope for more.

Reactions: 1 person
Why do people keep using Dooley as some sort of standard that if Jones is just better than him then he's OK?

Dooley was a terrible failure. Freeze makes a good standard. Fulmer's good years make a good standard. Saban makes a good standard. If Jones just has to be a little better than Dooley then you need to step back and see how ridiculously low you've set the bar.

Reactions: 4 people
Year One
DD vs SEC 22 to 26
BJ vs SEC 18 to 31

Year Two
DD vs SEC 12 to 28
BJ vs SEC 23 to 25

Year Three
DD vs SEC 31 to 40
BJ ???

I wont argue that year two was not good for DD by this was when Tyler Bray was inserted into the line up and the average points against SEC went way up. Of course, so did the points. But my basic point was that Butch's second year looks more like DD's first year. If we look at how this trends out for year three, can you really expect the Vols to put up the points DD did? And if AJ gone against Missouri gave us a sneak at our defense for next year.

I just dont know how Muschamp gets the axe at Florida with a winning record and we think 5-7 or 6-6 in year two of Butch is acceptable. Hell, Texas will be ahead of us by the end of the year.
You wouldnt consider 6-6 a step in the right direction? Just curious what were your preseason predictions?

You have seen FSU haven't you. Were not the only team playing freshman. :loco:

Dude, c'mon...They have one freshman starting on offense, LT (all of the other OL are seniors that have had All ACC honors to varying degrees) and one freshman starting on defense at SAM LB...they only have 5 true freshman on the two deep on offense AND defense.

They have 8 seniors or RS seniors starting on offense and on defense they have 9 starters that are at least juniors.

I honestly think our fan base would be fine with 5-6 wins every year.

No we are not but after so much crap we have been dealt, we are gonna be happy this year with 6-7 wins and a crap bowl, it will kick start the future with CBJ at the helm for a very long time. Also I like to say 6 wins is not acceptable here but we need stability and give him next and 2016.. Let him finish his contract then let's talk this.

He wouldn't be gone. That would be the dumbest **** I've heard in my life. You guys can't honestly expect someone to come in and win if we keep having coaching turnover every 2-3 years.

Many on here can't comprehend that the constant coaching turnover is a major reason why we're in this shape.

Reactions: 5 people
Label me a negavol, don't care. But I have to ask the question. Whats acceptable for Tennessee Vol Football??? We all agreed that Dooley needed to go, especially after the regression in year 3. What have we seen from Butch Jones to make us feel that won't happen again.

When you look at the numbers, they doesn't appear to be a big difference.

DD vs ranked -17.7 points
BJ vs ranked -18.1 points

DD vs SEC -9.6 points
BJ vs SEC -8.1 points

After watching the Missouri game, I feel like I am watching the Dooley project all over again. And before someone starts the "were young" crap, its college football. You don't get to keep them for 8 to 10 years. I am ok with that argument in week 3 or 4 but week 12 is nonsense. What position group has noticeably improved. Still waiting???

I know everyone likes the recruiting part of it but is Dooley had solid classes. And lets not forget that Muschamp and Weiss could recruit, how did that work out for them.

I honestly believe that we as a fan base have ex-girlfriend syndrome. We get rid of old and fat Fulmer for young and sharp dressed Lane. Then Lane leaves and we want a dependable guy that will never leave us, Dooley. Then he pisses off the former players and cant get the job done, so we want a likeable guy who embraces our program, Butch. All along, we sacrificed the main point. Can he get the job done. And now that it appears that Butch might not be the guy, we start the excuse mood and blame the guys that were here before him.

Can anyone truly say they have no doubts??? If Butch couldn't recruit any better than top 20 classes, would his seat be the same temp?

I am tired of the acceptance of each coach, as long as he is not like the last one. Look at Texas, or Arkansas. Did it take them years to create a culture shift. No, but we'll keep waiting on our frog to turn into a prince. All along, surviving in a a weak East and allowing Florida to come to that discover years before us.

CBJ didn't start this mess, he's trying to clean it up!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

This is lunacy and I cannot understand why any intelligent person with even a High School (HS) working knowledge of the game would make these comparisons. We are physically outmanned on the O-line in EVERY GAME. This is a position that maybe the top 1% of HS players can transition to and no offense to our guys but, they are far from top 1%.

You comment that CDD had "solid" recruiting classes? Please name the one you are referring to because I can't remember pulling in a top 10 class during his tenure. Not to mention he lost or better yet, alienated his home state.

We have won every game, save Florida, that we should have won this year and at the beginning of the season no one would have picked the Vols over Mizzou. Sprinkle on losing the heart and soul of your defense for this game and the result wasn't all that surprising.

IMO, you are mistaking a team that is playing above its talent level and depth for one that should win. If CDD was here the results would be similar to Vandy or UK in year 4. If we are still 6-6 in the 2016 season then I'll send you a six pack of your favorite beer. Until then relax, take a step back and relish two top 10 classes in a row. If you are feeling really spunky imagine this team with last years O-line and competing for the SEC East...

GoVols!

Reactions: 3 people
The talent that Dooley brought in was squandered. The talent that Butch has brought in is the reason we are competitive.

Year One
DD vs SEC 22 to 26
BJ vs SEC 18 to 31

Year Two
DD vs SEC 12 to 28
BJ vs SEC 23 to 25

Year Three
DD vs SEC 31 to 40
BJ ???

Brick by brick? Snap and clear?

You wouldnt consider 6-6 a step in the right direction? Just curious what were your preseason predictions?

Dagreek1998 had us going 14-0! Notice the 1998 in his name?

In a couple of years from now CBJ will be winning 11+ a year & then we'll be back to the Fulmer years complaints of wondering why we don't win the NC every year and 10 wins a season isn't good enough!

GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE GIVE CBJ AND STAFF 5 YEARS! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR WELL COACH X DID IT IN YEAR 1 AND COACH Y DID IT IN YEAR 2! YEAH WELL THEY DIDN'T GET HANDED A DUMPSTER FIRE EITHER THE KIFFIN STARTED AND DOOLEY ADDED GAS TO!

:thud:

TENNESSEEDUKE

VN Store

Back