What my son said tonight

OP I know you said he wants to play for Maryville in high school and if that’s what you all want that’s good, but I would think he would face better competition and be more prepared playing in Florida. I’m sure you probably know better than I do, but I know maryville is a great team up here, but seems they only really play great competition a couple of times per year.

OP I know you said he wants to play for Maryville in high school and if that’s what you all want that’s good, but I would think he would face better competition and be more prepared playing in Florida. I’m sure you probably know better than I do, but I know maryville is a great team up here, but seems they only really play great competition a couple of times per year.

You are correct.. there is alot of competition down here.. he just wants to play for my high school.. we went up there for my cousins graduation from UT, and he and all my kids fell in love..

Actually, I took him into an empty Neyland Stadium while we were there, it was his first time ever seeing a stadium.. and the second he walked into Neyland, he started weeping.. he instantly fell in love

Lol I’m being a jerk while everyone else is kicking Butch. I can get it if it’s Kiffin but I wouldn’t participate. I know a few facts! 1) He’s not a good fit here anymore 2) He worked very hard till the very last second trying to turn us around. 3) He has always been respectful to any fan from hearing stories. 4) His players have stayed out of the bad news for the most part.

I get it! It’s time to go but finding every reason to bash him by fans is being the jerk in my book. I’m not hiding from anyone. You can look up my golf shop in Charlotte and come talk to me face to face anytime and I’ll say the same thing. I want my kids to treat others with respect and don’t think I’ll correct them as well.

As a matter of fact I’ve had a few VN members come into my shop and played golf with them. No ones hiding here.

You are right about the fact that everyone has a right to post. I am posting because I’m tired of getting on here and reading everyone bashing someone who has given a portion of his life and countless hours trying to win for the fans. And before you say it, no I’m not going to stop coming on here because the immaturity level has risen significantly. Maybe I’m asking for others to let of the guy a little.

Thanks for replying. I understand your point of view now. I don't think your first response came across like what you just said. So I hope you understand my response. Too many posters on here belittle their fellow Vols fans and it ticks me off. I would say it is safe to say that we have a mix of young and old, high school, trade school and/or college grads, different races, genders, etc. on this board. Not everyone is going to follow the same etiquette when posting as that would be impossible.

I read a lot but don't post much due to the arguing and name calling on here. Again, it's silly to me. If I read something I don't like, I just typically ignore and move on.

Thank you for sharing your location - I respect that. Most of these keyboard warriors would not do that. Next time I'm in Charlotte on business, I will do my best to stop by.

Go Vols.

Nope, dont like jones as a coach. Also dont like people that think respect is anything but earned.

You made the statement that he should respect someone just bc they are an adult, I simply reminded you that not all adults are worthy of our childrens respect.

What has Butch Jones done to not earn respect? Not winning enough? He may not be a good coach, but losing football games has nothing to do with his character. So yes he deserves respect.

#1. My son is VERY respectful of adults and even though he may believe he sucks, he would NEVER disrespect the man

#2. For the 2 (only 2) years that my son has had actual parenting in his life, he has been raised to be a free thinker and have his own opinions, not just believe what people have told him

#3. The 2 reasons I shared this post was to share the semi-commical moment I had with my son, and to point out that even at 13 years old my son recognizes that Butch Jones does not develop players

#4. Anyone who wants to turn anything I say into a negative, is more than welcome to go visit another thread.. right now I have too much blessing in my life to be brought down by people's negativity.. my son is phenomenal at the sport of football, and I wish I could share the amount of pride and joy I feel watching him develop into a better player day in and day out..

#5. Just a little rundown of his accomplishments just this year on the field (he plays in Daytona, vs teams from Gainsville, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa and Ocala).. he LEADS his conference in Sacks, Tackles, Forced Fumbles, Tackles for Loss, Rushing Yards, and TDs, and he has sat out 2 conference games with an elbow injury.. he is constantly evolving as a player.. he is the equivalent of a "gym-rat"..

Two weeks after Tennessee's game Vs TA&M last year, you know what he did in a game? He blitzed the QB, the QB dumped off to a player 5 yards out.. that player caught the ball +5 yards from the line of scrimmage (25 yard line) with my son -7 yards at the qb... my son chase the kid down, and punched the ball out of the back of the endzone.. saved a TD and got the ball back.. his STAT line on that game was 5 TDs (not including 1 called back for holding) on 140+ yards, 4 sacks, INT, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 extra points... final score, 33-0 he scored 32/33..

Yes, this was a little extra brag, but it was also to point out, my son knows what he's doing, he respects the game, and he respects the people in it.. he's the kid going over to shake the hand of the kid that got hurt and couldn't shake hands at the end of the game.. he's the kid that thanks the refs.. hes the kid that does the updowns with the defense in practice even though he was the score that caused them to do them.. hell, he missed a ball that hit him in the hands 2 weeks ago, and he dropped and did 10 pushups in the middle of the game

You can say alot of things about 13 year olds now a days, but one thing my kid is not, is disrespectful or undisciplined

You should be very proud of your son. He appears to be an excellent football player. Teach him to be humble and to play hard on every play.

You should be very proud of your son. He appears to be an excellent football player. Teach him to be humble and to play hard on every play.

I have worked very hard to teach him to be humble, to let it show on the field.. when he first came to us, he was cocky at the expense of others.. yanking him off the the practice field a couple times for taunting his teammates got his attention.. I tell him all the time that his is not bigger than the team (which is hard to do with a kid that has been told his 2hole life that hew was God's gift to football).. he plays hard every play and never stops..

It's hard when you have the 14u kids coming up to him after practice that says "Jonathan I can shut you down"... and he just quietly goes out, runs his route, catches the ball, and can't be stopped..

I have other parents, coaches and refs come up to me and tell me that he is the "best 2-way player in central Florida at his age"

I try to keep him humble and respectful.. he actually pulled himself from a game, because he had 3 TDs on 3 touches, 3 sacks and a ff on 6 plays on defense.. pulled himself cause he didn't want to hurt/embarrass the other team.. but can't go 1/2 speed...

Plus, I don't let him brag on himself, because I do it enough for both of us lol

Last edited:
Little back story: My son is the #14 RB in the country (according to o-d.com) among 7th & 8th graders (5th among just 7th graders).. his only hopes and dreams in life is to play for Maryville (we live in Orlando), get a scholarship to Tennessee, and be drafted to the NFL...

Well today out of the blue:
Him- "Pops, I'm sorry, but I am not going to Tennessee if Butch Jones is still there"

Me- "he WILL NOT be there in 6 years"

Him- "good, cause he sucks

Me- "I know, i wont let you go there if hes the coach"

He will be a baller (already is) but Tennessee is already screwing with their future..

Here's some of his highlights
#1 Jonathan Adams 12u Highlights w/ better instrumentals - YouTube

Your son has got some serious wheels and his work ethic is obvious in the highlight reel from football camp!! Best of luck to him!!

Last edited:
Hope your son has a great coach wherever he chooses to play.

Hopefully at Tennessee!

I'm curious to know who ranks 5th, 6th and 7th graders--and how they do so. Sounds dubious. As for your son, he's quick but looks like a future slot receiver to me.

Reactions: 2 people
I have worked very hard to teach him to be humble, to let it show on the field.. when he first came to us, he was cocky at the expense of others.. yanking him off the the practice field a couple times for taunting his teammates got his attention.. I tell him all the time that his is not bigger than the team (which is hard to do with a kid that has been told his 2hole life that hew was God's gift to football).. he plays hard every play and never stops..

It's hard when you have the 14u kids coming up to him after practice that says "Jonathan I can shut you down"... and he just quietly goes out, runs his route, catches the ball, and can't be stopped..

I have other parents, coaches and refs come up to me and tell me that he is the "best 2-way player in central Florida at his age"

I try to keep him humble and respectful.. he actually pulled himself from a game, because he had 3 TDs on 3 touches, 3 sacks and a ff on 6 plays on defense.. pulled himself cause he didn't want to hurt/embarrass the other team.. but can't go 1/2 speed...

Plus, I don't let him brag on himself, because I do it enough for both of us lol
well done!

Last edited:
Little back story: My son is the #14 RB in the country (according to o-d.com) among 7th & 8th graders (5th among just 7th graders).. his only hopes and dreams in life is to play for Maryville (we live in Orlando), get a scholarship to Tennessee, and be drafted to the NFL...

Well today out of the blue:
Him- "Pops, I'm sorry, but I am not going to Tennessee if Butch Jones is still there"

Me- "he WILL NOT be there in 6 years"

Him- "good, cause he sucks

Me- "I know, i wont let you go there if hes the coach"

He will be a baller (already is) but Tennessee is already screwing with their future..

Here's some of his highlights
#1 Jonathan Adams 12u Highlights w/ better instrumentals - YouTube

My 12 yr. old is behind your son..they became buds there and you and I talked at Neyland. He and Corey text from time to time. I told Corey he was so fluid that you could tell he probably had some serious personal training. Corey's a beast himself but was really impressed by his game.

I'm curious to know who ranks 5th, 6th and 7th graders--and how they do so. Sounds dubious. As for your son, he's quick but looks like a future slot receiver to me.

Offense-Defense.com, They do week long camps all over the country, the go full pads, drills, and evals.. then after they are don't with half the year they do a ranking.. nothing is too official, but at the camp they pick players and invite them to an All-American Bowl game once a year (in New Orleans this year)..

As for position, he plays RB and Slot primarily (his play is like Kamara).. he can also throw the ball and block lol..

On defense he plays DE because he's so fast that no one can stop him at the line.. he can/does play LB, and would prob play Safety in the future, but there is not a position he cannot play.

Hope your son has a great coach wherever he chooses to play.

Hopefully at Tennessee!

I hope so too.. I hate it, but whatever is the best fit for him and his future is what I will support.. I hope it is Tennessee, but his future and happiness is my #1 priority

My 12 yr. old is behind your son..they became buds there and you and I talked at Neyland. He and Corey text from time to time. I told Corey he was so fluid that you could tell he probably had some serious personal training. Corey's a beast himself but was really impressed by his game.

Haha, yea, my son spoke very highly of your son.. he is constantly watching people around him and thinking of who he wants to play with him lol..

Hopefully they get to playh together one day ;)

Why is there a ranking for 7th-8th graders ? Let's start there.

That does seem a bit early to rank players. But all the camps and specialization of young players is the norm now I guess. I just hope the same emphasis that's being placed on athletics is being given to academics. As a former vol I can tell you that the degree stays with you longer than football accolades, and that SEC football is a business.
I wish your son the best of luck in his future endeavors

Last edited:
That does seem a bit early to rank players. But all the camps and specialization of young players is the norm now I guess. I just hope the same emphasis that's being placed on athletics is being given to academics. As a former vol I can tell you that the degree stays with you longer than football accolades, and that SEC football is a business.
I wish your son the best of luck in his future endeavors

Thank you.. he knows that grades and a degree are what's important..

Reactions: 1 person
If you or your kid is seriously worrying about what coach is at what school 5-6 years from now then there are some priority issues in play there. Worry about keeping those grades right, staying out of trouble and if he wants to be a RB might wanna stack up on some protein shakes. nice moves and sweet backflip but he looks like he has a WR/DB frame. Again, a lot changes in 5-6 years especially at that age. Take it one year at a time and best of luck to that future Vol.

If you or your kid is seriously worrying about what coach is at what school 5-6 years from now then there are some priority issues in play there. Worry about keeping those grades right, staying out of trouble and if he wants to be a RB might wanna stack up on some protein shakes. nice moves and sweet backflip but he looks like he has a WR/DB frame. Again, a lot changes in 5-6 years especially at that age. Take it one year at a time and best of luck to that future Vol.

Grades are an everyday priority.. he knows that without those, he can't play.. plus he wants to graduate early, so that also requires the grades..

And it's not that he is thinking about coaches, as much as it is he WANTS to play for Tennessee, but not if there is a bad coach that is going to hold him back..

He does have a smaller frame, and probably won't be huge.. but as he grows he will more than likely compare in size with Kamara/Hunt type running back that is a Slot/RB hybrid..

And he has recently started on high protein diet and some all natural supplements, I won't let him start working out yet, because I don't want him going too hard to early, but he has a parachute to run with and ankle weights to walk around the house with..

Grades are an everyday priority.. he knows that without those, he can't play.. plus he wants to graduate early, so that also requires the grades..

And it's not that he is thinking about coaches, as much as it is he WANTS to play for Tennessee, but not if there is a bad coach that is going to hold him back..

He does have a smaller frame, and probably won't be huge.. but as he grows he will more than likely compare in size with Kamara/Hunt type running back that is a Slot/RB hybrid..

And he has recently started on high protein diet and some all natural supplements, I won't let him start working out yet, because I don't want him going too hard to early, but he has a parachute to run with and ankle weights to walk around the house with..

Man, don't worry about this Pimo guy. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Why he feels he has to instruct you on how to raise your son is beyond me. You and your son just do you. It sounds like you guys are on track.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back