What my son said tonight

If you or your kid is seriously worrying about what coach is at what school 5-6 years from now then there are some priority issues in play there. Worry about keeping those grades right, staying out of trouble and if he wants to be a RB might wanna stack up on some protein shakes. nice moves and sweet backflip but he looks like he has a WR/DB frame. Again, a lot changes in 5-6 years especially at that age. Take it one year at a time and best of luck to that future Vol.

Why...just why, are you trying to tell this MAN how to handle his son??

Reactions: 3 people
i dont worry about what anyone thinks.. i knew posting (no matter what i was posting about) would bring criticism and advise from all directions.. its ok though, i know my son, and i know his drive and his ability, and his goals.. he will be fine in the end

thank you everyone who has shown support and encouragement

Reactions: 1 person
Little back story: My son is the #14 RB in the country (according to o-d.com) among 7th & 8th graders (5th among just 7th graders).. his only hopes and dreams in life is to play for Maryville (we live in Orlando), get a scholarship to Tennessee, and be drafted to the NFL...

Well today out of the blue:
Him- "Pops, I'm sorry, but I am not going to Tennessee if Butch Jones is still there"

Me- "he WILL NOT be there in 6 years"

Him- "good, cause he sucks

Me- "I know, i wont let you go there if hes the coach"

He will be a baller (already is) but Tennessee is already screwing with their future..

Here's some of his highlights
#1 Jonathan Adams 12u Highlights w/ better instrumentals - YouTube
Talked to Butch this morning and he thinks your son sucks.

Reactions: 2 people
So for those of y'all who care.. and update on stuff my son says about his future....

He told me tonight on the way home from football practice..

Him: "i hope whoever Tennessee gets to replace Butch isn't as bad as Butch"

Me: "whoever they get will be a really good coach"

Him: "well I just want a coach that is going to coach me and make me better, I don't care about the wins, we can lose every game, I just want someone who is going to coach me good"

He also told me that he wants to graduate before leaving..

I know I'm going to catch crap about him saying it's not about winning, but he is smart enough to know that development is what he needs..

He also was asking me who held records for Tennessee, and when I told him the rushing records and TD records.. he told me he was going to top them all..

And he wants to wear #6 or #41 for Kamara..

(By the way, we live in Orlando and he plays/practices in Daytona.. so we have a 2 hour round trip to and from practice lol)

Last edited:
So for those of y'all who care.. and update on stuff my son says about his future....

He told me tonight on the way home from football practice..

Him: "well I just want a coach that is going to coach me and make me better, I don't care about the wins, we can lose every game, I just want someone who is going to coach me good"

He also told me that he wants to graduate before leaving..

I know I'm going to catch crap about him saying it's not about winning, but he is smart enough to know that development is what he needs..

He also was asking me who held records for Tennessee, and when I told him the rushing records and TD records.. he told me he was going to top them all..

And he wants to wear #6 or #41 for Kamara..

(By the way, we live in Orlando and he plays/practices in Daytona.. so we have a 2 hour round trip to and from practice lol)

Good Luck, I had a friend that traveled for off season coaches/tutors and traveled about 2 hours to play/practice with a elite team. He wanted to play for Bama. Got all kinds of letters from about every D1 from 9th grade on . Ended up at North Alabama U, they are now considering transferring because of playing time. So good luck hope it all works out it can be expensive and heart breaking in the end. He spent enough to go for a good college education in hindsight but he also said he enjoyed doing it so there's that.

I nor my son was bashing CBJ.. I realize what he has done positive for this program.. and I encourage my son to be respectful to his coaches.. but if your son was a D-1 recruit (I know my son is not), would you let him go play for this coach at this moment?? Not if he had better options.. and my son is adopted from foster care in FL and has free 4 years of college to any state school (FSU, UF, UCF, USF).. he already has better options...

Again, not trying to bash or be disrespectful to him.. just sharing a moment between me and my son (who WILL be playing Saturdays & Sundays one day)

Make sure he's doing it in the classroom. Saying a 7th grader will play on Sundays is not a guarantee. Better to have the goal of owning a business and employing 100 people in his community. Make sure the emphasis is education and football will come if it's meant to be. No matter how good he is now, a lot of things can go wrong on the way to the NFL.

This is Jonathan's 2 Touchdowns in this week's playoff game... and his first game back after missing a week with an elbow injury

Jonathan's TDs vs Flagler - YouTube
First, thank you for caring enough to adopt children. We have friends who have done that and it takes a special couple with a big heart - kudos to you and your wife!

Second, I coached a lot of youth football from jr. hopper (age 7) through middle school football (8th grade) and I would have loved to have had a running back as good as Jonathan. He looks like he has it all, speed, vision, agility and toughness.

Finally, make sure he has fun at all times. I played with two kids when I was young that I was sure would get a D1 scholarship. One of them played as an 8th grader on the varsity HS school team in Longwood, FL (i.e., not a small town). He lost interest and didn't go anywhere. The other player had numerous offers and quit half way through his senior year. The common denominator in both situations was they got burned out. The first was just tired of football and the second had an overbearing father who was never satisfied with his son's performance - even though he was one of the best LB's in the state of FL. I realize the second scenario isn't you...

Youth sports has become so serious and almost professional like it takes away the fun. Many parents and coaches ruin the game. I sincerely hope and pray your son is surrounded by great coaches and keeps his joy and enthusiasm for the game strong!

Make sure he's doing it in the classroom. Saying a 7th grader will play on Sundays is not a guarantee. Better to have the goal of owning a business and employing 100 people in his community. Make sure the emphasis is education and football will come if it's meant to be. No matter how good he is now, a lot of things can go wrong on the way to the NFL.

he has the goals of being a marine biologist and working with animals.. he literally asked me the other day if he could get his masters in 4 years, cause he wanted to get his masters degree before he went to the NFL lol.. he knows that grades are #1.. football is a privileged that he does not take lightly.. and he knows that even with his talent, the NFL is a longshot..

First, thank you for caring enough to adopt children. We have friends who have done that and it takes a special couple with a big heart - kudos to you and your wife!

Second, I coached a lot of youth football from jr. hopper (age 7) through middle school football (8th grade) and I would have loved to have had a running back as good as Jonathan. He looks like he has it all, speed, vision, agility and toughness.

Finally, make sure he has fun at all times. I played with two kids when I was young that I was sure would get a D1 scholarship. One of them played as an 8th grader on the varsity HS school team in Longwood, FL (i.e., not a small town). He lost interest and didn't go anywhere. The other player had numerous offers and quit half way through his senior year. The common denominator in both situations was they got burned out. The first was just tired of football and the second had an overbearing father who was never satisfied with his son's performance - even though he was one of the best LB's in the state of FL. I realize the second scenario isn't you...

Youth sports has become so serious and almost professional like it takes away the fun. Many parents and coaches ruin the game. I sincerely hope and pray your son is surrounded by great coaches and keeps his joy and enthusiasm for the game strong!

-we never had the goal of adoption.. we had 3 of our own, and started foster care to help children.. the 4 that we adopted absolutely melted our hearts.. they made us love in a way that we never knew we could.. our family was made whole with them..

-his coach told me that last night, that he was the total package, because he literately has scored 1/5 touches of the football (it doesnt matter run/catch).. for his age, his vision and agility and toughness is ridiculous.. his OC on his current team actually came out of retirement just to coach Jonathan.. he knew his coaches and came and watched him in a practice.. and told the other coaches "i want to coach this kid" lol

-football will never stop being fun for him, he literally studies game film in his free time.. or watches highlight film of players that he wants to play like (Alvin Kamara, LeVeon Bell, Tyreek Hill, Evan Barry).. and i know where longwood is (we live in Winter Park)..

-his coaches are the reason i drive an hour to and from practice.. he started playing for the coaches when we lived in daytona, and they took a kid that was "good" and made him better as a leader, as a player, as a young man.. they dont powder his butt, they tell him how it is.. they dont give him any special treatment, and that is what i want.. i dont want my son being an a$$hole on or off the field.. i know that it is super serious these days, but i constantly tell him "football is what you do, not who you are"

-quick story, a few weeks ago he played in a game against a team from gainsville who has a reputation of being dirty.. and they were.. their coach tried betting our coach $1000 before the game (we were undefeated and had not given up a single point all year).. the refs DID NOT throw one flag against them.. they had 3 targeting, helmet to helmet hits, they were holding the whole game, and had coaches telling our kids from the sideline that "this is gonna be your last play, we are coming for you"... the refs called back 2 of jonathans TD runs for "holding", they had an extra point play that all 3 refs were discussing with our coaches whether or not they had a TD, and while the refs werent there, the gainsville coaches yelled for there team to run the extra point play, resulting in our guys not being set and one of our best linemen getting bull-rushed (he had to leave the game on a stretcher cause they jammed his neck)... then in the 4 quarter, they late him Jonathan and had him come out of the game..

i tell you all that BS to tell you this: we had to take his helmet to keep him off the field.. after we got back to Daytona, i took him to the E.R. where they told him that his elbow was broke.. i had to watch, as my son (the best player on his team, the #14 RB in the country (on o-d.com), the kid who eats-sleeps-breathes football) was told that not only was his season over, but his All-American game in New Orleans was not likely.. as a dad, i wouldnt wish that on anyone..

it took 4 days to get him into a orthopedic therapist, so for 4 days, i drilled into his head "you are more than a football player", "football is not who you are, it's what you do", "your team is going to have to carry you now" all while he was very depressed..

after him going through that for 4 days.. the orthopedic therapist told us IT'S NOT BROKE.. he had to sit a week and rest and ice it..

it made him stronger in the long run, and more determined.. now, this Saturday, he plays that same Gainsville team in the conference championship at a neutral site with all new refs..

**i know this story was not asked for, but i share it to let people know, he is resilient (haha butchism).. he has been through being homeless, and hungry, and neglected, and abandoned; at 13 (11 when we got him) he has sold drugs, and been stabbed, and jumped.. and he has used all of that to focus and refocus his goal and dreams in life and make him a better man.. i know i get accused of living vicariously, but thats not what it is.. i just want him to set his goals high, and reach even higher..

#ProudDad #SorryNotSorry #MyKidIsSpecial lol..

Did you ever consider you might be doing the kid a disservice by posting his pictures and repeating things he says on a public message board? That quote he made about not caring if his teams loses every game is the kind of comment that could stick to him. I know you want to brag on him, but this is not normal.

Did you ever consider you might be doing the kid a disservice by posting his pictures and repeating things he says on a public message board? That quote he made about not caring if his teams loses every game is the kind of comment that could stick to him. I know you want to brag on him, but this is not normal.

1st.. i do consider everything before i post.. i know that VOLNATION is very polarizing, and no matter what i post it will be viewed as BAD and GOOD..

2nd.. my son making that statement, was not "i dont want to win", but a "winning is not everything" type of mentality.. in that same conversation, he was talking about trying to get a masters degree in the 4 years that he is in college.. everyone wants to say "he shouldnt commit for the wrong reasons" and "make sure that grades come first", well thats what that is.. he wants to make sure that anywhere he decided to go was somewhere that would make him better.. and also wanting to COMPLETE college

3rd.. you are right, this is "not normal", but neither is my kid.. i guarantee that if you go and talk to the majority of NFL players, they will tell you they had this type of drive, that they didnt think "what-if i make it" but instead "when i make it"... i will never allow my son to lower his expectations based on what someone else believes.. when he and his sisters first came to my family as foster kids, i asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up.. he said "im gonna play in the NFL".. i said "that is a little ambitious (then had to explain what ambitious meant lol)".. half way through his first season of football with us, after seeing how talented and driven he was, i told him "if you believe you can make it to the NFL, i believe in you.. i cannot make it there for you, but i will not be the reason you dont".. since then has has grown and matured tremendously, is an A-B student, studies the game like coaches do..

you can say this isnt normal.. but neither is my kid

Jealous of what lol. What a stupid comment. I don’t have kids by choice so what’s to be jealous about? Do you know what vicariously even means?
Speaking of stupid comments - pot, meet kettle.

Yes, I know what it means. It's really sad that you take an opportunity to take a shot at him. It really says a lot about you.

he has the goals of being a marine biologist and working with animals.. he literally asked me the other day if he could get his masters in 4 years, cause he wanted to get his masters degree before he went to the NFL lol.. he knows that grades are #1.. football is a privileged that he does not take lightly.. and he knows that even with his talent, the NFL is a longshot..

Good and sounds grounded with education. A bad hit can't take that away from you. :rock::hi:

-we never had the goal of adoption.. we had 3 of our own, and started foster care to help children.. the 4 that we adopted absolutely melted our hearts.. they made us love in a way that we never knew we could.. our family was made whole with them..

-his coach told me that last night, that he was the total package, because he literately has scored 1/5 touches of the football (it doesnt matter run/catch).. for his age, his vision and agility and toughness is ridiculous.. his OC on his current team actually came out of retirement just to coach Jonathan.. he knew his coaches and came and watched him in a practice.. and told the other coaches "i want to coach this kid" lol

-football will never stop being fun for him, he literally studies game film in his free time.. or watches highlight film of players that he wants to play like (Alvin Kamara, LeVeon Bell, Tyreek Hill, Evan Barry).. and i know where longwood is (we live in Winter Park)..

-his coaches are the reason i drive an hour to and from practice.. he started playing for the coaches when we lived in daytona, and they took a kid that was "good" and made him better as a leader, as a player, as a young man.. they dont powder his butt, they tell him how it is.. they dont give him any special treatment, and that is what i want.. i dont want my son being an a$$hole on or off the field.. i know that it is super serious these days, but i constantly tell him "football is what you do, not who you are"

-quick story, a few weeks ago he played in a game against a team from gainsville who has a reputation of being dirty.. and they were.. their coach tried betting our coach $1000 before the game (we were undefeated and had not given up a single point all year).. the refs DID NOT throw one flag against them.. they had 3 targeting, helmet to helmet hits, they were holding the whole game, and had coaches telling our kids from the sideline that "this is gonna be your last play, we are coming for you"... the refs called back 2 of jonathans TD runs for "holding", they had an extra point play that all 3 refs were discussing with our coaches whether or not they had a TD, and while the refs werent there, the gainsville coaches yelled for there team to run the extra point play, resulting in our guys not being set and one of our best linemen getting bull-rushed (he had to leave the game on a stretcher cause they jammed his neck)... then in the 4 quarter, they late him Jonathan and had him come out of the game..

i tell you all that BS to tell you this: we had to take his helmet to keep him off the field.. after we got back to Daytona, i took him to the E.R. where they told him that his elbow was broke.. i had to watch, as my son (the best player on his team, the #14 RB in the country (on o-d.com), the kid who eats-sleeps-breathes football) was told that not only was his season over, but his All-American game in New Orleans was not likely.. as a dad, i wouldnt wish that on anyone..

it took 4 days to get him into a orthopedic therapist, so for 4 days, i drilled into his head "you are more than a football player", "football is not who you are, it's what you do", "your team is going to have to carry you now" all while he was very depressed..

after him going through that for 4 days.. the orthopedic therapist told us IT'S NOT BROKE.. he had to sit a week and rest and ice it..

it made him stronger in the long run, and more determined.. now, this Saturday, he plays that same Gainsville team in the conference championship at a neutral site with all new refs..

**i know this story was not asked for, but i share it to let people know, he is resilient (haha butchism).. he has been through being homeless, and hungry, and neglected, and abandoned; at 13 (11 when we got him) he has sold drugs, and been stabbed, and jumped.. and he has used all of that to focus and refocus his goal and dreams in life and make him a better man.. i know i get accused of living vicariously, but thats not what it is.. i just want him to set his goals high, and reach even higher..

#ProudDad #SorryNotSorry #MyKidIsSpecial lol..

I would've been kicking some Gator loving butt on that other team. It would've been Braveheart or Patriot time. That is the biggest BS that grown men allow that crap to any kids. Talking about the refs too. That is messed up and what is wrong with youth sports. When I played it was always above board and treat the game with respect. But if you are giving us cheap shots then I am having someone stand up the kid that bulled rushed and cracking down with the other tackle and taking out his knee. We are talking about high school plus at this point but as Butch said in the Georgia game......that is BS.

I would've been kicking some Gator loving butt on that other team. It would've been Braveheart or Patriot time. That is the biggest BS that grown men allow that crap to any kids. Talking about the refs too. That is messed up and what is wrong with youth sports. When I played it was always above board and treat the game with respect. But if you are giving us cheap shots then I am having someone stand up the kid that bulled rushed and cracking down with the other tackle and taking out his knee. We are talking about high school plus at this point but as Butch said in the Georgia game......that is BS.

Well, we played that same team in a "national tournament" before the season, and our team that is 12u (12 and under), and they played 14 and 15 year olds (I know this because my son walked up to one of the kids and said "how old are you" lol).. but we only lost by 6 points in that game..

The game in Gainsville was so outrageous that if I didn't whiteness it myself, i wouldnt have believed how blaiten it was.. the ref on our sideline started a conversation with one of our coaches.. and when our coach said something back about the calls, he threw a flag and warned the sideline..

We play that team in the conference championship on Saturday, on a neutral field.. so I'll let you know the outcome to that game

VN Store

Back