What if JG...

what benefit does Jones gain from doing all of this, if he did do it this way?
He has a justification and buy in with the team.... and he keeps QD on the roster as back up.

i think QD won the job. and i think he played JG the way he did to keep JG happy.

which is still an indictment on Butch and how he managed the 'competition'.
Yep. This is my opinion. But it is based on watching this as closely as I can and listening to pretty much everything that's been said since before spring ball.

When I began to be certain enough to start pushing the idea here... was when he pulled QD in the UMass game. Two or 3 more drives and UT probably has the game out of reach and a whole quarter left for JG to play. So why the change then? There are a few possibilities and none of them reflect well on Jones. And the ones I consider most likely point to Jones wanting JG to "win" the job.
cause either way, whether JG's ego was too fragile to handle losing the competition, or he's trying to string QD along, it's not good management of the roster.
Agree.

Dormady won the job. Jones played JG here and there because Dormady has been playing shaky all year. If he was playing well JG wouldn't have more than 10 snaps. Dormady's poor play all year has forced Butch's hand finally. Butch gave him too much time to try and produce if anything. With the way QD has played JG should have played more before now. They were in a close competition and Dormady was playing poorly. Time for the other guy to get a shot. Pretty simple.

Dormady won the job. Jones played JG here and there because Dormady has been playing shaky all year.
I don't agree but let's say you are right. You have a new starter that needs to have his confidence built up. He needs the maximum reps to develop rapport with his teammates. For 8 months he's heard about a "close" competition... that no one inside the program thought was that close.

NOW... think of what it does to his confidence to have the HC continue to insert the back up "here and there"... and especially at one point publicly saying it was because the team needed a spark?

Either way you slice this... Jones very badly mismanaged this whole thing. It didn't help either player and probably destroyed Dormady as far as ever being effective for UT.

Like I told you before the season started, Jones would have been better off making a decision and sticking by it even if it were the wrong decision than taking the "competition" into the season. I told you TRUTHFULLY that he would be better off giving the job to JG than not giving his starter full support and confidence.

He did what I said he shouldn't do... how's that worked out?

If he was playing well JG wouldn't have more than 10 snaps.
PURE BS.... and ESPECIALLY in light of how poorly JG played when he came in. That just makes no sense at all. If you have a QB that's "shaky"... you want to build his confidence AND get him and the O in sync. You don't want to create doubt and throw in extra variables.

Remember... Jones calls those reps "invaluable". They can ONLY be invested one time in one player. If Jones TRULY considered Dormady the starter and the competition over... he invests them in Dormady.

Dormady's poor play all year has forced Butch's hand finally.
Your agenda forces you to say this... But Dormady a) played well "at times", b) was hurt by poor WR play according to the coaches, and c) still played better and posted better numbers than JG.

Butch gave him too much time to try and produce if anything. With the way QD has played JG should have played more before now. They were in a close competition and Dormady was playing poorly. Time for the other guy to get a shot. Pretty simple.
Yeah... because JG's performances with the 1st O vs ISU and UMass just SCREAM... "I'm the better option coach".

Of course none of that matters to you. You don't see his poor play... only that of Dormady. You don't see the common threads in the poor play of both guys... only Dormady.

Last edited:
Spurrier is literally the only coach I've seen routinely do it and have it work... and even he stopped doing it late in his career. Do you have another?

Playing musical QB's just doesn't work well.

Bobby Bowden did it a very long time ago even well before Spurrier and it worked, but that's the only one I can recall.

I think at this point we just want to see 4 quarters of good football. If we had that Sat, we would have won (last two years Loss to SC...btw). JG needs to build confidence and not try to do everything. How about coaches help him some with some motion by backs and WR. We line up and don't move, and teams know one of our 3 plays are coming.

Spurier had an OLine that would block, and receivers that would get open and catch the ball. Neither JG nor QD has a chance with this offense.

I think at this point we just want to see 4 quarters of good football. If we had that Sat, we would have won (last two years Loss to SC...btw). JG needs to build confidence and not try to do everything. How about coaches help him some with some motion by backs and WR. We line up and don't move, and teams know one of our 3 plays are coming.

We ran zero jet sweeps.

VN Store

Back