What if JG...

You can tell the problem is coaching when CBJ said that he didn't do JG on a QB sneak against Florida because he "Hadn't taken a single freakin snap under center at practice." Seriously? So in his first full week of practice for his first start in the SEC, it's also his first time taking a snap under center. I hope he does well, but I believe the coaches have stacked the deck against him already.

He's going to struggle. That's why if the defense doesn't come ready to play this weekend, well just another brick that fell out. This musical QB deal does neither any good, and yes it has the starter always looking over his shoulder. Just another coaching blunder.

... doesn't play any better than he has?

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.

He has shown nothing other than looking nervous and confused

You can tell the problem is coaching when CBJ said that he didn't do JG on a QB sneak against Florida because he "Hadn't taken a single freakin snap under center at practice." Seriously? So in his first full week of practice for his first start in the SEC, it's also his first time taking a snap under center. I hope he does well, but I believe the coaches have stacked the deck against him already.

I am no fan of Jones but that is a gross misrepresentation of what he said.

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.

Butch didn't miss- manage this. You threw in the "if Butch believed JG was the QB of the future" comment. Why would you say that? QD won the job. Most people agreed. We all saw the spring game and most were excited. It didn't pan out and he got yanked. End of story.

Reactions: 1 person
I am no fan of Jones but that is a gross misrepresentation of what he said.

Well, it wasn't gross. And I did add a little personal flare to it. I've been on the CBJ bandwagon for a long time, but it seems the things here and there are really adding up to make me question his coaching ability.

However he has had those leadership reps like crazy

Well, it wasn't gross. And I did add a little personal flare to it. I've been on the CBJ bandwagon for a long time, but it seems the things here and there are really adding up to make me question his coaching ability.

Apparently, you do not know the meaning of gross in that context. You went beyond adding personal flare. You exaggerated and misrepresented what he said. The case against Jones is strong without misrepresenting what he said and reverting to hyperbole.

We thought that Worley was not doing well so we started Peterman and that was not any better.....

:lolabove:

you sound like another person who is mad dormady is being benched. i mean its not just some fans. it was an entire network of viewers calling for this during the uga game. many dont like cbj's ego, but even a peewee coach knows their had to be a change at that position going into the bye week. dormady has played average to horrible since the gatech game

Not at all. I consider JG our future. Having said that I don't want to see him thrown into the fire before he's ready. He may be a mentally strong gunslinger but maybe not. Don't want a repeat of Peterman. Hope he's ready and as good as he thinks he is.

Not surprised who started this. It's sad we have so many wanting JG to fail to make QD look better or so they can be right.

He will get benched and QD will go in.

Both QBÂ’s have had to play with the unnecessary added pressure of getting the hook after a few bad plays all season long.

All of Spurrier's QB's had to play with that same stigma, and they lit it up.

Not surprised who started this. It's sad we have so many wanting JG to fail to make QD look better or so they can be right.

I’ve not seen him show “it” while in during any game, but I hope he is on fire Saturday. I just had hopes he’d be as good, if not better than Dobbs. I’m afraid he may not be like that.

How will qb play help the defense stop rushing attack that consistently gains seven or eight yards on first and ten?????

It is a lose-lose situation for Butch. JG plays well we'll all ***** and moan Butch was stupid not to start him all along. If he plays horribly we'll blame Butch for not developing a better quarterback.

I get it, CBJ has lost some of you forever and short of revealing himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ himself you hate him and want him fired. So it won't matter what our team does from now on.

I don't hate him, I just want him fired because he's not a very good football coach.

How will qb play help the defense stop rushing attack that consistently gains seven or eight yards on first and ten?????

well, not that it's all on the qb, but if the offense can play better, stay on the field longer, put up some points, it will at least take the pressure off our defense, and keep them off the field as much as they've been on the field the past 2 1/2 years.

complimentary football is a good thing. and for as much as we talk about it, we rarely do it.

Reactions: 1 person

if JG comes out and looks good and plays noticeably better than what we've seen, then it's still an indictment on Butch for not having a)realized this much, much earlier or b) not having the ability to.

if JG comes out and it's not all that dissimilar than what we've seen, then that's also an indictment of Butch for not having either QB developed, nor does he have an offense capable of supporting either 4* QB he brought in. so pick one...poor evaluator offensively or poor developer of talent.

so i hope and want to win. but for me, either way, it's not good for him.

personally, i don't think it will be all that dissimilar. may see some more athleticism from JG; i don't think the offense will all the sudden 'click'.

Butch didn't miss- manage this. You threw in the "if Butch believed JG was the QB of the future" comment. Why would you say that? QD won the job. Most people agreed. We all saw the spring game and most were excited. It didn't pan out and he got yanked. End of story.

Yeah. He DID mismanage it. If Dormady won... and it was Jones' intention to let the winner win no matter who it was... you don't continue the competition 5 games into the season. You're right. Reliable sources said that QD won the job handily. But Jones didn't let it be that. He kept giving JG one chance after another to "win" the job. He gave him first team reps vs ISU hoping he would play well enough to excuse a change.

He yanked Dormady in the UMass game right after he had led UT to scores on 3 of the 4 previous drives then said after the game that the team "needed a spark". Over those drives Dormady had gone 11 for 15 for 123 yards. What else does a QB have to do to "spark" a team? What does that tell you if you're Dormady about your coach's attitude toward you? His confidence in you?

If Jones was convinced that JG was that much more talented than Dormady and wanted to start him... then he should have been straight with them in January and spent the last 9 months getting JG ready to perform. Dormady with a RS year left could have moved on and gotten a chance to play. Jones screwed BOTH OF THEM with a "competition" where only one outcome was going to be accepted.

Dormady did play poorly vs UGA.... not that anyone else played well... That gave Jones the opportunity he needed to justify a switch regardless of how JG has played or practiced to this point. Again, he's the coach. Coaches have to use their judgment. He had every right and even a duty to declare JG the starter if that's what he thought should be.

His VERY poor management of the QB situation has left one guy thinking about leaving the program and the new starter probably not ready to play.

Last edited:
Yeah. He DID mismanage it. If Dormady won... and it was Jones' intention to let the winner win no matter who it was... you don't continue the competition 5 games into the season. You're right. Reliable sources said that QD won the job handily. But Jones didn't let it be that. He kept giving JG one chance after another to "win" the job. He gave him first team reps vs ISU hoping he would play well enough to excuse a change.

He yanked Dormady in the UMass game right after he had led UT to scores on 3 of the 4 previous drives then said after the game that the team "needed a spark". Over those drives Dormady had gone 11 for 15 for 123 yards. What else does a QB have to do to "spark" a team? What does that tell you if you're Dormady about your coach's attitude toward you? His confidence in you?

If Jones was convinced that JG was that much more talented than Dormady and wanted to start him... then he should have been straight with them in January and spent the last 9 months getting JG ready to perform. Dormady with a RS year left could have moved on and gotten a chance to play. Jones screwed BOTH OF THEM with a "competition" where only one outcome was going to be accepted.

Dormady did play poorly vs UGA.... not that anyone else played well... That gave Jones the opportunity he needed to justify a switch regardless of how JG has played or practiced to this point. Again, he's the coach. Coaches have to use their judgment. He had every right and even a duty to declare JG the starter if that's what he thought should be.

His VERY poor management of the QB situation has left one guy thinking about leaving the program and the new starter probably not ready to play.

what benefit does Jones gain from doing all of this, if he did do it this way?

i think QD won the job. and i think he played JG the way he did to keep JG happy.

which is still an indictment on Butch and how he managed the 'competition'.

cause either way, whether JG's ego was too fragile to handle losing the competition, or he's trying to string QD along, it's not good management of the roster.

It is sad when someone is this manifestly dishonest.

I hope JG plays well. He will need the team around him to improve even playing one of the worst D's in the SEC to make that happen though.

Some of us pull for the Vols. Some, like you, have an ego to protect then engage in projection even if it doesn't relate to the topic being discussed.

I have been saying since the UGA game that QD was emotionally broken. His confidence is shot. He doesn't trust himself, his receivers, his OL, the "system", or his coach. Even if he IS still the best option... he's not an option. So as a Vol fan... I WANT JG to play well or else UT is going to get smoked... again... by a Muschamp coached team... that isn't in the same universe as UGA or Bama.

VN Store

Back