What if JG...

please enlighten us,how do you know McBride is no where near ready.Do you attend practices.Do you have inside infomation. please tell us,inquiring minds need to know.

Sure. He's the 3rd team QB. He gets almost no reps with the ones. He goes through QB drills and possibly runs the scout team in some weeks.

This isn't a secret... It is what pretty much every team does. You have time to get 2 QB's ready... not 3.

That means that McBride that obviously wasn't in the picture at all when it came to competing for the job this year... has "mastered" only the portion of the O he worked on before September... and that working as #3 behind QD and JG.

If Jones is giving reps to his #3 QB... who is headed for a RS... during game week prep... with the O already struggling to find an identity and consistency then someone needs to fire him right this moment.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a desperation move by Butch. JG has looked worse than Dormady, not sure why he or any of you are expecting a miracle

Because we're fans. We hope for the best even when we have no right or reason to expect it.

... doesn't play any better than he has?

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.

Hope so! Anything can happen in CFB.

Meh, I've got enough to be upset with Jones about without worrying over the back-up playing. After the spring game I would have played Dormady also.

I know you can make an argument against pulling him 2 games in a row but not the first coach to flip QBs around.
I swear I thought Spurrier was changing by the series if not the play, once upon a time.

Jones is doing too many things that good coaches don't do for me to worry about one that I've seen several other coaches do before him.

Spurrier is literally the only coach I've seen routinely do it and have it work... and even he stopped doing it late in his career. Do you have another?

Playing musical QB's just doesn't work well.

It’s an indictment on the offense being predicated on having a dual threat QB running this specific offense. We all saw Worley/Peterman fall flat four years ago only to see Dobbs flourish.

This has the exact same feel IMO

How many times has Dormady made the correct call on an RPO? Very few. D-End crashes and he still gives to the RB. It’s painful to watch.

This is a mobile quarterback driven offense and that’s plain as day.

If accuracy between the two is even, then JG is the preference all day

:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:
It’s an indictment on the offense being predicated on having a dual threat QB running this specific offense. We all saw Worley/Peterman fall flat four years ago only to see Dobbs flourish.
The O isn't predicated on a dual threat QB. It is a west coast spread O from the shot gun. "West coast" usually and generally means zone blocking coupled with short passes, swings, and screens.

Dobbs didn't flourish because of what he did "within" the offense. He flourished because when the designed play went to crap he could make a great run. There are very, very, very few guys.. including none of this current roster... that can do what he did.

How many times has Dormady made the correct call on an RPO? Very few. D-End crashes and he still gives to the RB. It’s painful to watch.
Do you know what an RPO is? It isn't a read option.

This is a mobile quarterback driven offense and that’s plain as day.
Not according to what Jones has consistently said since he showed up... and it isn't the way he's recruited either. Dobbs was a surprise. He wasn't even considered a running QB in HS.

Jones has NOT recruited to run a read option offense. He HAS recruited to run a west coast spread offense.

If accuracy between the two is even, then JG is the preference all day
The word on JG throughout the off-season wasn't anything to do with his physical ability. The kid can flat out throw a ball and very accurately. But the mental part didn't come along like they'd hoped.

We will see this Saturday if is has "clicked" for him.

Spurrier is literally the only coach I've seen routinely do it and have it work... and even he stopped doing it late in his career. Do you have another?

Playing musical QB's just doesn't work well.

Just want to be clear..
Jones is is making the *first change at starting qb. Do you want me to name another coach that has ever switched qb's after the season started? If so, how many do want me to name?

Reactions: 2 people

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.
i havent seen mcbride play. i was wondering if you have

It is a lose-lose but not for those reasons. He had two clips of ammo. He pulled one of them out and threw it away. It may or may not have been empty/defective... but if he uses this one up without success... he's got nothing.

If that's what you think then you really don't "get it" at all.

OH sjt, your infinite well of optimism is always inspiring. I guess your clip analogy makes more sense to you, however using the 2nd clip efficiently would not be a losing situation I don't believe.

To my 2nd point. When people make posts at "the best thing for CBJ and the worst thing for us fans is a win" then you don't want Butch to succeed. If you say Butch has lost the team or got a dui or whatever unfounded allegations people claim without any first hand (or trustworthy) sources, then you don't want Buych to succeed. Now I'm not pinning those posts on you, you are just objecting to the claim.

When every thread includes on the first page an indictment of jones regardless of the topic, it's trolling and nothing will stop it.

Reactions: 3 people
With the lack of player development under Butch and what we have already seen from JG we won't even have to play out your hypothetical. We can hope all we want but the proof is in the pudding.

I think opening up the offense and having a QB that is better running the ball should help the offense.

If they put Guarantano in there and don't let him do anything but swing passes, QB's draws in obvious situations and screens, this change is pointless.

This whole mess just further cements how terrible Jones is at roster management and grooming his QB's. Should have made a decision back in the Spring instead of playing games right up until GA Tech. Would have given them the entire Summer to develop some leadership and let the team know which direction they were heading.

And I still don't understand why they recruit a pocket passer like Dormady in the first place. This isn't a reflection on Dormady at all but he has never been a fit for this offense, such as it is, IMO.

:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2: The O isn't predicated on a dual threat QB. It is a west coast spread O from the shot gun. "West coast" usually and generally means zone blocking coupled with short passes, swings, and screens.

Dobbs didn't flourish because of what he did "within" the offense. He flourished because when the designed play went to crap he could make a great run. There are very, very, very few guys.. including none of this current roster... that can do what he did.

Not according to what Jones has consistently said since he showed up... and it isn't the way he's recruited either. Dobbs was a surprise. He wasn't even considered a running QB in HS.

Jones has NOT recruited to run a read option offense. He HAS recruited to run a west coast spread offense.

The word on JG throughout the off-season wasn't anything to do with his physical ability. The kid can flat out throw a ball and very accurately. But the mental part didn't come along like they'd hoped.

Herein lies a problem with Jones and his offensive philosophy.

5 years in and no one really knows what the hell he is actually trying to accomplish with his system.

:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2: The O isn't predicated on a dual threat QB. It is a west coast spread O from the shot gun. "West coast" usually and generally means zone blocking coupled with short passes, swings, and screens.

We’ll revisit this on Sunday and see how your theory plays out. Mine is that JG will get better results than QD because the defense has to respect the run as compared to QD having little to no mobility. RPO= run pass option. All I was saying was that QD does not make the correct decision a majority of the time.

You’re kidding yourself if you think Dobbs wasn’t considered a dual threat by this staff. Just because 24/7 doesn’t list him as a dual threat doesn’t mean he wasn’t. Watch the tape.

Point being, if JG produces using his mobility when things break down, wouldn’t it seem that dual threats are MORE suited to this offense than ProStyle?

Proof will be in the pudding.

JG getting garbage reps is not indicative of his performance if/when he gets meaningful snaps without a short leash or his practice “leadership reps”

QD has plenty of drives that look aweful and too quick.

Count me in as a believer that mobile quarterbacks are the way to win in this conference

Reactions: 3 people
He looks more nimble but JG hasn't really run the ball well.

He's a passer. Jones reiterated that today. Maybe he'll come in without the baggage and throw the ball with some confidence. But there's nothing we've seen so far to suggest that either.

I think the reason to make the change is that QD's confidence is shot. But once the coach pulls his confidence from the player... there's usually no going back. That was the point of my post.

Jones repeatedly tried to pump QD up in the press conference today... I'm sure it was nothing more than him trying to have him ready if JG flops. I just haven't seen anyone pull themselves out of that deep of a confidence hole.

I am pretty well convinced it is his system. I am also pretty convinced that both QD and JG have SEC level ability.

I remember Wilcox once saying that his defensive scheme was designed to be simple for the players which allowed them to play at top speed while difficult for the O to read alignments. Jones O is exactly the opposite. It is difficult for players to execute... but easy for D's playing "fast" to defend.

:good!:

If you know Dormady personally, then just maybe you are knowledgeable enough to make definite statements about his mental state. And we have not seen JQ in practice since the Georgia game. Look for Scott's video about the SC game and his statements about JQ since the Georgia game.

I think opening up the offense and having a QB that is better running the ball should help the offense.

If they put Guarantano in there and don't let him do anything but swing passes, QB's draws in obvious situations and screens, this change is pointless.

This whole mess just further cements how terrible Jones is at roster management and grooming his QB's. Should have made a decision back in the Spring instead of playing games right up until GA Tech. Would have given them the entire Summer to develop some leadership and let the team know which direction they were heading.

And I still don't understand why they recruit a pocket passer like Dormady in the first place. This isn't a reflection on Dormady at all but he has never been a fit for this offense, such as it is, IMO.

Reading between the lines in the preseason, especially JK saying most know who the QB is gonna be tells ya it had to be Dormandy. I don't know why HC made a game out of something obvious. I don't know why he does a lot of the things he does. I doubt he can get to 7-5 now with this current mess. It'll be because the players really rally behind him. The potential is there but can coach mold it into 1 working unit?

After this season, both JG and QD may transfer and Will Mcbride will be our starting QB first game next year. Lol just a far fetched thought, but honestly wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

JG needs to make some passes. SC will probably just stack the line to stop the run or keep JG contained.

Nobody respects our pass game.

Steve Spurrier made a career out of switching out QB's. If these kids cannot handle it, lets sign anew one this next year. Stand on the sideline, listen, watch, learn. Go back in and produce.

This honestly was not a complicated or difficult decision. Coach Jones has one chance of turning the season around as well as his fortune around -- and only one. His is a precision offense that requires incredibly precise execution and timing and a duel threat quarterback. If JG can somehow channel his inner Josh Dobbs or some like skilled qb then there is a least a chance to change the outlook for the season and Coach Jones career along with it. Not saying it isn't an extreme long shot but it is a shot.

It also somewhat resets the rest of the team and the season behind a new leader - any new leader - and there can be a new spark with the entire offense as a result. Not saying it is going to happen - just saying it's a shot and honestly the only reasonable shot to take at this point in our season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back