What about John Harbaugh?

I've seen several posts on VN about the rumor that John's agent has reached out to UT to express interest if the Ravens season continues to tank.

I think John would be a slam dunk hire. He has a superbowl ring and is actually currently coaching. He'd be much better than Gruden.

With his dad being a long time college coach, and his brother apparently enjoying his job at Michigan, perhaps this is a possibility.

Here is an article where John talks about loving to teach the game, and about seeing the work his brother has done at Michigan.

So could VN get behind John if he wanted to come coach the Vols?

I know it really doesn't matter, but that Ali story was wrong. Ali beat the crap out of Floyd Patterson not Terrell, and kept asking Floyd,"what's my name?"

I would still take John Harbough in a New York minute

Reactions: 1 person
Jim has the same record as Brady Hoke, and can't even win his division.. Why in the world would you want that? Heck, he barely beat a Mike Debord offense.. took it into OT.

As far as John. Ok I guess? He seems stagnant right now, and who's to say he would give the effort back in the college ranks?

Jim has the same record as Brady Hoke, and can't even win his division.. Why in the world would you want that? Heck, he barely beat a Mike Debord offense.. took it into OT.

As far as John. Ok I guess? He seems stagnant right now, and who's to say he would give the effort back in the college ranks?

The difference is that Brady Hoke fell off a cliff after his first year, while Harbaugh is showing that 9-10 wins is his floor. It's true that he has more left to prove, but I believe we'd all like 9 - 10 wins to be our floor. You beat the programs you're supposed to beat but can lose to other generational coaches (Meyer) or playoff teams (Franklin), get bit by the injury bug (Lost starting QB), or lose half of your starters to the draft (wasn't it like at least 8 defensive starters?).

I've seen several posts on VN about the rumor that John's agent has reached out to UT to express interest if the Ravens season continues to tank.

I think John would be a slam dunk hire. He has a superbowl ring and is actually currently coaching. He'd be much better than Gruden.

With his dad being a long time college coach, and his brother apparently enjoying his job at Michigan, perhaps this is a possibility.

Here is an article where John talks about loving to teach the game, and about seeing the work his brother has done at Michigan.

So could VN get behind John if he wanted to come coach the Vols?

Omg HELL YES

Reactions: 2 people
So sure if they could get him but how could they?

Jim wasn’t lighting up the world at San Fran when UM came calling. Not saying Jim isn’t a good coach, he is. But he wasn’t having success and wasn’t long for San Fran.

Different story for John. He is entrenched in Baltimore. Why would he leave? That story was a good read but I don’t see a basis for him wanting to leave the Ravens for college in it.

Now let’s say both Gruden and John Harbaugh for some out of left field reason BOTH are interested who do you take?

I would say Harbaugh about 9 out of 10 tines. One goes to Chucky simply because of the years of madness. But a shot at a current active successful NFL coach? Yes please...

Except Jim Harbaugh did light up the world at San Fran...

Yep, I think Jim will be fine at Mich. About the Ali comment, Ali beat the crap out of Patterson and Terrell for calling him Clay:boxing2:. That was one thing Ali would blow up over :realmad:

He did have success. In fact John’s super bowl ring came at Jim’s expense.

But he was not lighting it up during the UM opening period. I remember a majority saying he was leaving, one way or another.

Edit: just went and checked the numbers. He went 12-4 during his 2012 super bowl year. In his 2014 final year he went 8-8. In 2015 after he left SF went 5-11. Jim skeedaddled to UM while the chance was there. But not sure I would blame him. He probably had more success than Saban and Saban skeedaddled too. And it turned out just fine for him.

Last edited:
Harbaugh would be a great hire... He's completely handcuffed at Baltimore by something called a "Joe Flacco" at quarterback... Whatever that is...

Can’t say that I’d be disappointed in this hire.

Not my first choice but I think it would work.

Its decided. Mr. Currie we did your work for you. Now go get the $$$ and get it done. Don't take no for an answer. Keep calling until he says yes. Bring John H to Knoxville.

I am sure you all remember how Bama's AD was told no by Saban multiple times over several weeks before Saban finally agreed.

Found somewhere John is already making 7 mil a year? 😳

Match it. Maryland has a state income tax which would allow for a raise. His contract is only through 2019. Can't believe they only gave him a 1 year extension. Throw in all the politics and other garbage going on in the NFL and it may make this job attractive to him. With that said, it would be a surprise.

I think the Ravens may lose 9-10 games this year. It's hard to tell in the NFL it's crazy. Their offense is terrible, most of their WR's are hurt and Flacco's not healthy. They loaded up on defense and thought that would carry them but it's not working out. I don't know how the fans feel about JH up there, he's been there forever. Who knows how all this stuff will turn out.

I would love this hire. I think he is a top tier option. And I think He is very realistic option. I personally believe his personality would fit Knoxville well. Would recruit really well.

This is a home run hire in my opinion go get him!

Did anyone determine if Harbaugh’s agent contacted us? I know it was a question some were trying to answer yesterday.

He would be a home run hire for sure if they could pull him away from the NFL.....

As much as I'd love to have Gruden...I have to be real and think that hiring him is just a dream...

But John Harbaugh coaching in the SEC would seem to be a very real possibility because he is still coaching....under salary cap restrictions and all that goes with pampering over-paid egomaniacs....

Get 'em while they are still hungry and trying to get to the "freak show"

VN Store

Back