What about John Harbaugh?

Baltimore Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh, won XLV11 against the San Francisco 49ers that were coached by Jim Harbaugh, his brother.

I wouldn't be mad if TN got him

Reactions: 2 people
Not No but Hail No!
9 million $$$ of OVERRATED

My bad!
Was thinking about Jim.

Yes on John!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've seen several posts on VN about the rumor that John's agent has reached out to UT to express interest if the Ravens season continues to tank.

I think John would be a slam dunk hire. He has a superbowl ring and is actually currently coaching. He'd be much better than Gruden.

With his dad being a long time college coach, and his brother apparently enjoying his job at Michigan, perhaps this is a possibility.

Here is an article where John talks about loving to teach the game, and about seeing the work his brother has done at Michigan.

So when asked if he could do what Jim is doing, with 30-plus satellite camps this month all over the country and beyond, it was a competitive switch for the Baltimore Ravens head coach.

“Would I be able to? If he can up, I could hold up,” John said Wednesday, where he and some of his Ravens coaches were helping with the Next Level Football Camp at Paramus Catholic, where U-M's staff led the charge. “We’ll see how he does. If he makes it, I’m quite sure I would make it too. Are you kidding me? You think I’d tap? You never tap out, can’t do that.”

The 53-year-old John Harbaugh appears to be in impressive physical condition, so the grind of being on the field may not be quite the same as Jim, who spent nearly 20 years getting tackled as a Michigan and pro quarterback.

Looking at Michigan’s nationwide barnstorming, John respects it and understands more than most.

“It’s a lot and it’s not surprising,” John said. “He never does anything part way at all. I’m amazed at what they’re doing. The coaches and the staff how hard they’re working. I saw them work dawn until dusk in Baltimore and I know they did some yesterday too. Got dinner with Jay (Harbaugh) and they were back in the hotel sleeping, getting up the next day and doing it again. Pretty cool.”

One area that’s the same is their love for teaching the game, and that’s why John came up from Baltimore for Wednesday’s camp. Attending Monday’s camp in Baltimore made sense because he lives there, but this one was more of a statement because it was out of his way.

“It’s just great to get a chance to do it,” said John, whose offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, secondary coach Leslie Frazier and special teams coach Jerry Rosburg joined him at Paramus. “At our level, it’s rare we get to coach a high school football camp. I was telling the Baltimore media, we probably should do more of this. You see the look on kids’ faces, the chance to be out there. They’re in their glory right now. This is their glory. They’re young, teenage football players, they’re having the time of their life out here. For Michigan and at the other college coaches are doing, what Jim’s doing is an incredibly good thing.”

John is more involved than many NFL head coaches in his practices. Any idea he would not be involved sounded like an attack on his character.

It’s in his blood from his father Jack, a college coach for nearly 40 years, and brother Jim, who has dove into the Michigan job with more public intensity than any college coach.

“We all do, it’s coaches,” John Harbaugh said, laughing at the notion. “What do you think, I’m up there in my office having a cocktail, smoking a cigar? There’s a lot to it. In the end, to me, it’s practice. That’s the fun part of coaching, practice.”

The interaction between the brothers is obviously sincere and uncommonly similar.

When John arrived at Paramus and Jim saw him on the middle of the field, he stopped for a minute and yelled out on his over-the-ear microphone: “John Harbaugh, Super Bowl Champ!”

It’s how Jim often introduces his brother publicly, with pride and respect for John’s Ravens winning the 2013 Super Bowl. Yet there’s also just a little of that competitive jealousy, because it was Jim’s San Francisco 49ers who lost that Super Bowl to his brother in the fourth quarter.

(Three years later, Jim still hasn’t let it go, reminding American legends Hank Aaron and Andrew Young last week about the official who overlooked potential holding calls late in the game.)

Their shared passion is remarkably similar, shown when they lined up to lead the player sprints, the brothers in the center of a long line of coaches.

“It’s neat on every level,” he said. “You get the combine and guys are excited about that and things. To come back and see this, it’s what football is all about… Teaching is different at every level. There’s different classes there’s different subjects in school. It’s the same thing for football. You teach high school guys different things, different positions in college and pros, but it’s all teaching. To me, that’s what coaching is. It really is at every level.”

The enjoyment is passed down from Jack, who showed up in Baltimore earlier this week to support both his sons.

Jack was sharing Muhammad Ali stories. His favorite was about when Ali fought Ernie Terrell in 1967, and Terrell refused to call Ali by his new Muslim name. Throughout the fight, Ali kept pounding Terrell, repeating “what's my name!”, and wouldn’t knock him out or end the fight until Terrell succumbed and gave that respect.

When Jack told that story a few years ago to the Ravens, it became the team’s season mantra. He told it again to the Ravens on Monday morning, then the satellite campers later in the day.

“So we got two tellings of it,” John Harbaugh said. “It’s funny too because we got a few new twists in there we never heard before.”

The Harbaugh family stories and mantras are told over and over.

“You hear them a few times,” John said, grinning.

That was a few hours before the camp ended with the players chanting the Harbaugh family mantra: “Who’s got it better than us? Nobody.”

So could VN get behind John if he wanted to come coach the Vols?

Can we make it the Official John Harbaugh Thread I ?

It worked for Gruden.

I will believe anything. Been gullible enough to read thousands of gruden posts..... This shouldn't be any different. Equal opportunity!

Absolutely. It's been known that the Harbaugh brothers are extremely competitive with each other. Supposedly didn't speak for months after their Super Bowl matchup. Maybe John wants to one up Jim in college ball too?

Absolutely. It's been known that the Harbaugh brothers are extremely competitive with each other. Supposedly didn't speak for months after their Super Bowl matchup. Maybe John wants to one up Jim in college ball too?

I can dig it! Hehehehe

But he eats boogers
there is precedence for that
o7BuU.gif

If this is Currie's guy, how long do we have to wait? Does anyone remember when Saban left Miami to go to Bama, did he wait until Miami's season was over? that could obviously be a problem with recruiting...

So sure if they could get him but how could they?

Jim wasn’t lighting up the world at San Fran when UM came calling. Not saying Jim isn’t a good coach, he is. But he wasn’t having success and wasn’t long for San Fran.

Different story for John. He is entrenched in Baltimore. Why would he leave? That story was a good read but I don’t see a basis for him wanting to leave the Ravens for college in it.

Now let’s say both Gruden and John Harbaugh for some out of left field reason BOTH are interested who do you take?

I would say Harbaugh about 9 out of 10 tines. One goes to Chucky simply because of the years of madness. But a shot at a current active successful NFL coach? Yes please...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back