We do not win that game without…

I don’t think that Awaka can go more than 15 minutes without fouling out. So the best scenario is that he’ll be very productive in his 12-15 minutes on the court.
This is true. TA has one speed ... "ON". He's so active and physical his rebounding is crazy. But that aggression leads to those fouls too. Thankfully we have him and Aidoo, so we're not usually susceptible to getting our big and foul trouble.

We did two of those things that must be done to win in March - controlled the boards on both ends and hit clutch free throws. On a night where there was an invisible lid on the rim, just a gutty win.

Awaka was a man, ZZ just nonstop energy all night, and DK was a true pro, overcoming a rough night with some super clutch free throws. Special props to JJJ - for all the crap he gets, the guy shows up and busts his ass every night doing all the little things, and tonight coming up with 9 clutch points. I'd make the argument that his 3 might have been the most important bucket of the night.

We did two of those things that must be done to win in March - controlled the boards on both ends and hit clutch free throws. On a night where there was an invisible lid on the rim, just a gutty win.

Awaka was a man, ZZ just nonstop energy all night, and DK was a true pro, overcoming a rough night with some super clutch free throws. Special props to JJJ - for all the crap he gets, the guy shows up and busts his ass every night doing all the little things, and tonight coming up with 9 clutch points. I'd make the argument that his 3 might have been the most important bucket of the night.
JJJ gets crap for being a 5th year player and afraid to take the ball to the basket.

That was one ugly game and scary. So glad our men pulled that win out. Shooting 3 for 25 in a ncaa game is normally the kiss of death.

survive and advance baby, gritty win
I agree, but our defense held them to only 19 points in the first half! Without our D, we lose this game, IMO. We've finally figured out a way to grind out the W in tough, hard fought games. GBO!

Texas changed something the last 7 minutes, they spread us out and there seemed to be a ton more space in the lane and they were able to penetrate easier. Interesting adjustment that Creighton may take notice of, although I don’t know if Creighton will be able to dribble drive as effectively as the Texas guards

Free throws have nothing to do with him being soft, which he is

JJJ gets crap for being a 5th year player and afraid to take the ball to the basket.
Bro, did you really just show up in a thread praising Awaka to simply bash two other players? Get out of here with that nonsense.

OK we got our terrible shooting game out of the way. Now go get the chip. And oh ZZ ball pressure gave us so many extra possessions he gets my vote
ZZ’s defense against Abamas, especially on the last 3-pt shot was huge.

Free throws have nothing to do with him being soft, which he is
Not everybody is a Bill Lambeer style player. He isnt soft. His style looks pretty stout when he goes to block a shot. His dunks don't look wimpy. Other shots around rim could be more aggressive, but I won't categorize him soft. Some bigs are a combo of finesse and muscle. Think his game is still growing. Goodday mate! Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
I think every single guy had plays that we don’t win without. Gainey, JM, and Vescovi on D, ZZ’s passes, Awakas scoring. JJJ, Aidoo and DK all had major plays on offense. We shot like crap, but this was a total team effort.

Reactions: knox73
His defense was absolutely fantastic. But that might have been the worst offensive game he's played since the first South Carolina matchup. He was extremely reckless and was freewheeling way too much outside the framework of the offense. Tried to force way too many passes. Too many bad shots that weren't there. He really seemed to be pressing because not much was working offensively for anyone.
Dead on observation. Incredible defensively. All the guards were (Santi, Shak, JG) but ZZ was borderline hurting the team on offense. He may have only taken 2 shots that were good and in the rhythm of the offense and he made one of them from the corner. Then his passing was erratic as well. He HAS to make better decisions moving forward if team wants to get to a Final 4.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back